597     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 706     0 

Will the Leafs make the playoffs?

W

wyliepoon

Leafs vs. Habs for the final playoff spot in the NHL Eastern Conference on Saturday. Bring out the riot police downtown on Saturday night!

Globe

Link to article

Islanders condemn Leafs to last-chance saloon

DAVID SHOALTS

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — To say the Toronto Maple Leafs shot themselves in the foot last night would not be entirely accurate.

It implies they managed to hit a target with something, which is exactly what they could not do and why they now have to beat the Montreal Canadiens in regulation time tomorrow night to have any hope of making the National Hockey League playoffs.

The Leafs were hopelessly inept offensively last night in losing 5-2 to the New York Islanders. All that saved them was the New York Rangers' 3-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens, which kept the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference, held by the Canadiens, one point away.

But the Leafs cannot let the Canadiens gain a point in an overtime loss when they meet at the Air Canada Centre tomorrow night. The Canadiens hold all the advantages in the tiebreakers if the teams finish the season tied in points.

Arron Asham finished off the Leafs 12 minutes into the third period when he ripped a slap shot to the top corner, giving the Islanders a 4-2 lead.

The Islanders thrust themselves back into the playoff picture with the win. They now have 88 points, so if the Leafs beat the Canadiens tomorrow and get to 91 points, the Islanders could still move past them by winning their final two games. The Islanders will play the Philadelphia Flyers tomorrow and the New Jersey Devils on Sunday.

Leafs head coach Paul Maurice worked his bench furiously in the final two minutes to try to pull out the win. Goaltender Andrew Raycroft was pulled with 2 minutes 20 seconds to go for an extra attacker. Miroslav Satan scored an empty-net goal at 18:05, but Maurice persisted with the extra skater.

The only folks helping the Maple Leafs as the night wore on were the Rangers, who beat the Canadiens in Manhattan. The Leafs were certainly not helping themselves, as their offensive futility, a growing problem, had them trailing the Islanders 2-1 by the end of the second period.

There were lots of opportunities for the Leafs to take control of the game, but they simply could not convert them into scoring chances.

Islanders goaltender Wade Dubielewicz, a 28-year-old career minor-leaguer, made himself the feel-good story of the week by filling in ably for Rick DiPietro, who was felled by a concussion. Dubielewicz may have played admirably in beating the Rangers a couple of nights ago but he did not have to last night against the Leafs. They were so feeble offensively they made him look like Patrick Roy.

The Leafs started slowly, something they had to avoid in order to keep Dubielewicz and the Islanders from gaining confidence, and did not get in a sustained shift in the Islanders' zone until about eight minutes into the game. But Mats Sundin and his linemates did not translate that into forcing the goaltender to make a lot of big saves, something that would repeat itself the rest of the night.

The Leafs did a good job taking control of the puck in the Islanders' zone but that was as far as it went. They either missed the net with their shots or could not create any good chances in front of the net.

One reason the Leafs may have been slow to take charge in the Islanders' zone was that New York head coach Ted Nolan made sure the defence pair of Brendan Witt and Sean Hill were out against Sundin and linemates Alexei Ponikarovsky and Nik Antropov. It was not until Leafs head coach Paul Maurice started keeping the Sundin line away from that pair that the Leafs offence perked up a little.

However, when the Leafs were not able to produce anything with their opportunities, they sagged late in the first period and that proved costly. The Islanders pinned them in their own end for two shifts and took the lead at 16:57 when Ryan Smith knocked in a rebound from Mike Sillinger when the Leafs could not clear the puck out of their zone.

The Leafs started slowly again in the second period. This time, Maurice tried to produce some offence by reuniting the defence pair of Bryan McCabe and Tomas Kaberle, but that did not produce any fireworks, so he went back to his usual pairings.

By the middle of the period, the Leafs were barely fore-checking, although a lucky bounce let them tie the score. The teams were playing 4-on-4 when Leafs winger Darcy Tucker wove his way to the Islanders' net and shot the puck as linemate John Pohl drove to the net as well. Pohl had his stick out and was given credit for the goal, but it looked as though the puck bounced off Islanders defenceman Tom Poti.

This did not inject any life into the Leafs' offence, though. They squandered power plays on back-to-back penalties to the Islanders, then surrendered a power-play goal late in the period. Sillinger scored to put the Islanders ahead 2-1 with 26 seconds left.

The Leafs managed to come back and tie the score two minutes into the third period. Defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo took a pass from Tucker and put a wrist shot into the top corner of the net.

But it did not take long for the Islanders to regain the lead. The Leafs watched Islanders winger Jason Blake take the puck along the boards, wheel through the high slot and score on a wrist shot through a crowd a little more than a minute later to put the hosts ahead 3-2.

For me it doesn't matter much if they do squeek through as I think they're very much done in the first round. Sundin hasn't had a goal in what.. 10-11 games? Moreover, while Raycroft has had his moments, he isn't talented enough to carry them through a tight series at this point. Two or three seasons from now maybe, but not now.

I might rather see them get a better draft pick than bow out after a round or two in the playoffs.

Raycroft hasn't been very good this season...I don't have confidence in his ability to consistently deliver the type of performances necessary for playoff success.

If they get in I hope they do well, but if they don't make it I won't lose any sleep over it.

This is going to could like a cold, detached analysis. But I think I'm on to something.

The problem is that for the ML$E, it really doesn't matter. They could put a mediocre team and still sell out every game, as long as the get suits in seats. They also have a really loyal fan base that rivals the Chicago Cubs in terms of sticking through one lousy season after another. Except most loyal Cubs fans can afford to see at least one game at 1060 West Addision.

I know they also have the Raptors and FC, for which it makes more sense to do well as they don't have suits selling out their games. It would take a disinterested fan base to really drive the management to build a real contending team. An iron-clad, way over generous contract with McCabe? WTF were they smoking that day?

The good news (I hope) is that Ferguson will be shown the door. But I have little hope when bean-counters run the Leafs.

No they won't make it.

Raycroft is awful, what a waste of money.

And spmarshall is bang on. There's no real incentive to build a strong team. Even when they suck, the fans will keep buying tickets.

This won't change for a long time, if ever.

even if the leafs win the isles could get in with a win tommorow.but i prefer the leafs to win because i knocks out the habs.

Leafs won! This was one of the most exciting games of the season. :) Habs are out... Leafs hanging on to hopes that NY loses tomorrow.

.... fingers crossed.

It would take a disinterested fan base to really drive the management to build a real contending team. An iron-clad, way over generous contract with McCabe? WTF were they smoking that day?

The good news (I hope) is that Ferguson will be shown the door. But I have little hope when bean-counters run the Leafs.

I really don't buy these conspiracy theories. The Leafs were among the top spending teams in the NHL before the lockout. Why would they be content to just see a few rounds in the playoffs? Why wouldn't they want to see a maximum return for their investment (which is what they'd get if the Leafs were to win the Cup)?

If they really wanted to make money they'd slash the payroll to the league minimum and totally build up from within...they'd still get a high revenue and they'd save about $20 million on payroll.

What horrible goaltending last night, looked like college hockey. Last night's game proves that neither of these teams are worthy second season contenders. The Sabres would make mincemeat of both of these teams. Personally I don't think the Leafs will be serious contenders until Poge gets the call, hopefully that will only be a season or two away.

What horrible goaltending last night, looked like college hockey. Last night's game proves that neither of these teams are worthy second season contenders. The Sabres would make mincemeat of both of these teams. Personally I don't think the Leafs will be serious contenders until Poge gets the call, hopefully that will only be a season or two away.

I think people are putting too much faith in Pogge. I think he has the potential to be good, but he's still pretty young. I could see him in the minors for two more years and then being a backup in Toronto for a year or two before becoming a starter.

Perhaps, but barring a trade for a proven veteren in the next couple of seasons he's probably their brightest hope. Anyway thank god the baseball has started.

The answer to the subject question is now a definite NO, with the Islanders beating the Devils.

Now the New York Metro area owns 3 out of 8 of the teams in the Eastern Conference playoffs (NY Islanders, NY Rangers and NJ Devils). It seems like New Yorkers get all the luck.

24818BP~The-Simpsons-Nelson-Haha-Posters.jpg

"The owners abandoned the Leafs"

AARON LYNETT/TORONTO STAR
Leafs general manager John Ferguson Jr. says it's business as usual at the Air Canada centre after missing the playoffs for a second straight season. One of his main priorities for the 2007 offseason is coming to terms on a new deal with captain Mats Sundin.

Apr 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Dave Perkins

What do John Lennon, Lenny Bruce, Malcolm X and Che Guevara have in common? Well, those four historically significant (one way or another) figures made and left a mark despite a lifespan that now is shorter than the time the Toronto Maple Leafs are guaranteed to insert between Stanley Cup victories.

It has been, to this point, 14,589 days since that long-ago title-clinching win over the Montreal Canadiens and those wishing to harpoon John Ferguson Jr. for yet another season with not even a playoff position, let alone serious thoughts about a Stanley Cup, can certainly make a case.

But they're aiming too low, it says here. Ferguson may have overpaid for some mediocre players, but he also is changing the base of the team by gradually developing younger talent. Not stars, by any means, but decent home-grown players who aren't, yet, breaking the bank. Nobody can win without this kind.

The first position that needs changing here isn't the general manager. It's at the ownership level.

The Larry Tanenbaum era has been a disaster for the hockey side of the operation. Good for profit and asset acquisition, but bad for hockey and therein lies the real problem here. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, with Tanenbaum at the controls backed by the Teachers' Pension Plan money, has become primarily a real estate company that dabbles, mostly unsuccessfully, in sports.

MLSE is into selling anything and everything. Plus, of course, bilking taxpayers by taking control of publicly financed arenas and stadiums, always at little or no expense to themselves. They're good at the wrong things.

Forget about blaming Richard Peddie for yet another hockey season that washed up on the rocks. Peddie is there to maximize the brand and make sure there are purchasers for whatever MLSE is selling, whether it's $13 beers, condominiums, stadium naming rights, or house TV channel subscriptions.

Peddie does that part of it well and – let no one make any mistake here – it is the first order of business at MLSE. It also is Tanenbaum and the board of directors that keep this company pointed solely in a profit-driven direction. Tanenbaum, who wasn't on hand yesterday as Ferguson did the official explaining, again, loves to pour concrete; he loves to use the power and might of the Maple Leaf logo for large projects, such as the new soccer stadium, condo towers and such.

Somewhere, though, Tanenbaum, his bankrollers and his construction pals lost sight of the prize: the only job that matters here is winning a championship. That's it. The rest of it is just business and fans don't care about the business. They care about winning, even once in their lifetime.

The basketball team enters into this, obviously. Under MLSE's heavy-handed leadership, basketball was being driven into the ground until somebody finally figured out that nobody in the boardroom had a clue about that game. Facing thousands of empty seats and non-existent TV ratings, MLSE cleverly figured out that the only possibility to make it work was to hire smart people to run things and then get the hell out of the way. This they did, starting with Wayne Embry and Bryan Colangelo. Now look at what's happening; the team has turned around completely. Hockey is framed differently, obviously. It's the Leaf logo that's the cash cow, not the Raptor logo.

Ownership of the Leafs should be committed to one thing only: making Toronto the flagship franchise in the league, the desired location for every hockey player. Whatever it costs to have the best scouting and development departments, spend it. Whatever it takes at every level, do it. Make winning the focus, not condos and soccer teams and stuff that doesn't matter. Forget about making endless profits they don't need and put all emphasis and resources into ending the hockey embarrassment.

Such a sea change comes only from ownership and it, by far, is the Leafs' weakest position.

Back