743     0 

Will Alsop makes US debut at Yonkers, NY

W

wyliepoon

Architectural Record

Link to article

Alsop Makes U.S. Debut in Yonkers

April 3, 2007

The latest European architect to hop the pond for a U.S. debut is Will Alsop, a Brit who hopes to transform a long-unused power plant along the Hudson River in Yonkers, New York, into a sweeping residential complex featuring a museum, restaurant, and park.

Under the plans, which Alsop unveiled to a 50-member audience at a public hearing in Yonkers last week, the hulking 80,000-square-foot power plant will lose its two smokestacks and gain a large residential tower. A third of the 400 units will be luxury condos and the rest rentals, with some reserved for low-income residents, said Erik Kaiser, principal of developer Remi Companies.

The $250 million project also calls for adding a contemporary art museum, located in a former switch-house, and a new apartment structure, nicknamed the “magic tower,†with a boxy upper portion balanced on tentacle-like stilts.

“Good architecture does make a difference,†Alsop said at the hearing. But some audience members expressed concern that the main building, at 25 stories high, will block river views. Others said they favor preserving the power plant as it is now. Alsop countered, “the building will fall down if nobody does anything about it.â€

These issues could surface again as the zoning-approval process begins in May. What went unchallenged, however, is the whimsical style of Alsop. In 2000, he won his country’s top architecture prize, the Stirling, for London’s Peckham Library and Media Centre. A red, tongue-like decorative disc tops the building’s hefty cantilevered main volume.

“World class architecture should be in Yonkers,†Kaiser said. “You should be demanding something that is not typical.â€

070404alsop1lg.jpg

Audience members should have been concerned that the proposal is butt-ugly! The taller building looks like someone stuck a tower of chicken wire on a power plant and glued a bunch of paper triangles to the chicken wire...

I like OCAD and some other Alsop, but that is without a doubt the single most absurdly and hilariously hideous rendering I've ever seen.

Ever.

Seriously, is this a gag?

They are rather silly looking. Yonkers can have them.

More whimsical, expressive fun from Alsop. The little tutus on the two towers are cute ... and they hide legs. And there's an OCAD / Peckham thingy parked round the back, covered with graffiti. And what look like large brown paper lunch bags, parked on the roof of the old brick building.

Nothing says whimsical and expressive like building a completely incongruous structure on top of an existing building!

Also, Yonkers kinda sucks.

Nothing says whimsical and expressive like building a completely incongruous structure on top of an existing building!
I dunno, NYC's Hearst Tower's gotten generally good reviews...
foster372.jpg

Also, Yonkers kinda sucks.
Though it's interesting how Alsop's wildest urban fantasies have been adopted by tank towns with punch-line names--as goeth Barnsley, so goeth Yonkers...

Well, I'm not very progressive when it comes to architecture.

I would think that a place that's down on it's luck would be much more likely to accept a dubious revitalization scheme or crazy project. When you're already a laughing stock, it's not as if you have any dignity that might be hurt by a silly new building!

I actually kind of like the smaller tower on the right, but overall the project looks like a garbage can with paper falling out...not very impressive.

It is an iconic building, intended to stand out from the crowd rather than blend in with it, designed by an artist who is also an architect. They're the height of fashion these days and can be quite beautiful - as I think OCAD is. We've got a few such eyedazzlers hereabouts. If Yonkers doesn't go bonkers for it let's grab those two babes for our waterfront museum, next to the silos.

It is an iconic building, intended to stand out from the crowd rather than blend in with it, designed by an artist who is also an architect. They're the height of fashion these days and can be quite beautiful - as I think OCAD is.

They can be quite beautiful but I don't think this particular project fits that description.

Hanging about in their tattered tutus, balanced on their brightly coloured little stilty legs, leaning provocatively against our slim vertical silos at the foot of Bathurst, I think they'd become quite popular ...

Just as one iconic door ( Project Symphony ) slams shut another one ( City of Toronto Museum ) would open if we got a gaggle of gals like these two. They'd be be a nice counterpoint to the slab on McCaul: naughty girls in frocks vs. la grande horizontale.

Back