253     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 625     0 

Wi-Fi service now available in Terminal 1

T

thenay

Passengers can now wirelessly link to the Internet, send e-mails and access their corporate network throughout Terminal 1.
Concourse Communications Group has installed Wi-Fi networks at Terminal 1, which will provide users with wireless Internet access regardless of the Internet Service Provider they use.

The GTAA has recently completed Wi-Fi negotiations for Terminal 3 and looks forward to announcing the introduction of this service in the near future.

Source: GTAA

I think this is a similar system to what you see in Second Cups - they provide the infrastructure, but you still need a provider for the internet service. If you have an existing account with Bell or Rogers or other, you can just connect via that. If not, you can sign up for a period of time. I did this once, using Bell which texted me a code to my cell phone which gave me 1 hour of internet service.

That's just my guess.

so its only for canadian passengers? intl wouldnt have a local provider to connect with.

I'm sure it'll cost a fee, but who knows, at the Las Vegas airport is free :)

in terminal 2, if you sit outside the air canada maple leaf lounge you can use their wi fi service for free since it transmits for a few hundred feet outside of the lounge (you have to register first though). i am sure the same is true of terminal 1.

The Maple Leaf louge in T1 is located on its own floor, I believe. The elevators are on the left just after going through security.

The GTAA wi-fi will probably have mutliple providers for it, not just Canadian hotspot. For example the Wyndham at the airport uses Boingo, Wayport, Cingular, iPass, and NTT DoCoMo. I would expect the bigger international wi-fi providers would sign on as a provider in the airport. Actually T1 at Toronto Airport already shows on Boingo's website.

The Maple Leaf lounge in T1 is on the top floor of the building (4th floor, I believe - been a while since I've flown out of T1). Very nice views of the airport operations are available from up there. Anyway, I'd be surprised if you could pick up the signal from any area other than on that floor, unfortunately.

Back