News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Why does Canada hate Toronto? We want love! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

oreoshack

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why does the rest of Canada hate Toronto? Seriously we haven't done anything against them.
I'm pretty sure they're all just jealous of our success and they all hate immigrants. The rest of Canada loathes their immigrant population while Toronto embraces theirs.
Just go outside of Toronto's ring of influence like cities like Barrie, bunch of philistine ignorant jock farmers. Thats the real reason they hate us, because we've moved along with the world and they've just been twiddling their thumbs looking up their own behinds and saying how wonderful the air is up there in their colons.

Well, when I lived in Montreal it always seemed that everyone else in Quebec hated Montreal. Of course, not everyone did so.

Just go outside of Toronto's ring of influence like cities like Barrie, bunch of philistine ignorant jock farmers.

Seems like some people in Toronto hate everyone outside the city.

It can be said that Toronto has been FORCED to go into a defensive state because everyone else tries to attack us.
Oh and the rest of Quebec hate Montreal because its all filled with anglophone immigrants. French Language laws are stupid.

Do I sense a testy attitude towards others outside the city?

not at all, i can tolerate york region except anything north of richmond hill. and its not like i dont like other cities in canada, its just theyre all so goddam smug in their unitedness against this city. i just cant understand why they think its funny. im willing to overlook the fact and go about my day, but its like this insatiable itch at the back of my brain thats driving me insane. WHY.

It's really not that unusual, if you consider the circumstances.

...we are probably the most decentralized nation in the world.

...we are spread out across the worlds second largest nation.

...We have very different regions, politically and culturally.

...Toronto dominates the nation far too much in too many areas.

This causes resentment...not jealousy.

Other countries have very dominant city regions as well (London, Paris, etc), but they are part of nation that is generally more centralized, closer geographically, and generally have a more homogeneous society.

It is typical of many countries.
The rest of France hate Paris, the rest of Japan hate Tokyo or the rest of UK hate London.

It sometimes amazes me that a country with as much regional misanthropy as Canada continues to exist. At least we know that if it were to dissolve, we would go about it peacefully rather than in an all-out melee like Yugoslavia. It may not count for much in Toronto, but in places like Alberta I've found that looking at neighbouring provinces with scorn - let alone Toronto, 3,000km away - is sort of the glue that holds the province together. Petty.

In fairness, I am not exactly doing my part. If I had to choose another city to live in in Canada, it would be either Montreal or maybe Vancouver. I've tried Ottawa and Edmonton on for size (as well as a handful of smaller Ontario cities) and, frankly, those folks can have it back.

I dream of nothing better than Toronto redirecting its focus to the world stage, divorcing from Canada in all but name and being a de facto city state pursuing global agendas. There's only one thing to be learned from a place like Dubai and that is to look to the world rather than to your own backward.

I often wonder if there are any more decentralized countries than Canada...Australia maybe? It seems to have about as many big cities but only 2/3 the population. And a capital that makes Ottawa look like a metropolis. But I wonder, if any of you guys know, is regional acrimony as bad there as in Canada.

It certainly is a problem in Germany, probably Europe's most decentralised country (except maybe Italy), but I don't get the sense it is nearly as vicious as in Canada.

This is a popular debate which arises regularly. The theories people put forth can be interesting.

But please, let's not claim other people hate us because they are jealous - of our success, our culture, or anything else. This is the same argument that Americans use when puzzling over why people the world over hate their country. If you consider this comparison, it becomes clear that jealousy has nothing to do with it.

If anything, the "you're just jealous" argument is the only valid reason people might have for hating us.

See "Let's All Hate Toronto" on DVD. The film takes a journey across the country to explore why so many people dislike Toronto with plenty of smiles along the way. "Let's All Hate Toronto" gets a very low 3.3 rating on IMDB, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135977/ which it doesn't deserve. It's not a great film, but it's not bad either.

See "Let's All Hate Toronto" on DVD. The film takes a journey across the country to explore why so many people dislike Toronto with plenty of smiles along the way. "Let's All Hate Toronto" gets a very low 3.3 rating on IMDB, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135977/ which it doesn't deserve. It's not a great film, but it's not bad either.

It (sorta) seems to be available on Yahoo video.

Part 1 is here
Part 3 is here

Part 2 is here but I get audio with no video

I dream of nothing better than Toronto redirecting its focus to the world stage, divorcing from Canada in all but name and being a de facto city state pursuing global agendas. There's only one thing to be learned from a place like Dubai and that is to look to the world rather than to your own backward.

this guy has the right idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back