News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Who lives in Manulife Centre Apartments?

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I understand there are more than 800 pricey apartments in the Manulife Centre tower at 44 Charles St. W.

I've never known anyone who's lived there and I'm curious... who does?

Are these rich kids attending U of T? Relocated workers whose company is paying the rent? Life long renters?

Just curious about this demographic.

I have a friend who lives there. It is a mix of professionals and quite few elderly people who just like the convenience and location of the apartments. The apartments themselves are quite well laid out and some are quite large. I also think there are couple of floors which are furnished rentals for business travelers.

Have you seen the prices?

From http://www.rentcanada.com/manulife/

Suite Type Size (Sq.Ft) Monthly Lease
Small Studio 361 $1,300.00
Large Studio 444 $1,350.00
1 Bedroom Floors 3-29 703 $1,800.00
2 Bedroom Floors 3-29 999 $2,600.00
1 Bedroom Floors 32-51 738 $2,150.00
2 Bedroom Floors 32-51 1229 $2,800.00
2 Plus Den 1386 $4,200.00
3 Bedroom 1609 $5,000.00

A friend of mine used to live there a couple years ago, in a 1 bedroom unit on the higher floors, the place had one hell of a view! she is married to a Cardiologist/ businessman/ gas station owner and god knows what else he does, Now they live in a beautiful old home in high park area.

"Dormitory" for hospital row or at least at one time or another

I've had a few friends & co-workers who have lived there over the years, it's a really nice building with incredible on-site conveniences. The building is divided into two sections, each with their own internal lobby areas and elevator banks. The "low-rise" is the 3rd-29th floors which are regular sized bachelor, 1 & 2 bedroom units and cost well above market rates. The "high-rise" is the 32nd - 51st floors that have much larger 1, 2, 3 & 2 bedroom + den units, they have more luxurious finishes than their low-rise counterparts below, indoor pool and of course primo views for these extremely expensive units. The whole building is really well run, impeccably clean and well maintained with beautiful hallways, elevators, lobby areas and such. It's not a very friendly building, there's lots of "I'm better than you" attitude here, especially with the "high-rise" dwellers who look down on those who live in the "low-rise", literally. If you ever visit there take note, it's almost funny. In the common area lobby many high-risers won't even make eye contact with low-risers.

The whole building is really well run, impeccably clean and well maintained with beautiful hallways, elevators, lobby areas and such. It's not a very friendly building, there's lots of "I'm better than you" attitude here, especially with the "high-rise" dwellers who look down on those who live in the "low-rise", literally. If you ever visit there take note, it's almost funny. In the common area lobby many high-risers won't even make eye contact with low-risers.

It's a nice building but yeah i agree with you about not being a friendly building, the few times i was there no one in the elevator spoke or made eye contact like other condos i have been in, And my friend's husband in all the his years living downtown has never set foot on the TTC and rarely walks anywhere he would rather drive his Porsche 911 to go out for dinner or shopping and pay the absurd valet parking prices.

i know of few people that live there, one is an interior designer with one of the better known firms.

he lives in the 'high-rise' 2 bedroom unit http://www.rentcanada.com/manulife/cha44tl2.jpg
he actually spent some money and renovated the kitchens and baths marble counters/vanities.
i didn't know his rent until now ... great value for the amount of space/location and probably the best deal for the building and possibly the city !

I have relatives that live there. Usually visit once every 2 weeks or so. The mix of residents is no different from any other older high rise building in the Bloor/St. Clair/Eglinton corridor up Yonge. Lots of older people who have lived there for decades, plus a mix of young professionals with no kids. The income is skewed upward though, but not even by that much. The average person has lived there for 15+ years, and benefits from rent control.

Its hard to generalize about a building that size. I dont think it could be considered a true high-end building if for no other reason than the ceiling heights must be low, air circulation/humifier systems may not even exist etc. Wouldn't surprise me if the units are decently large since they are old. For years it was filled with elderly people on rent control. I imagine when they die or leave, units are then upgraded along with the rent. The only thing special about the building is its location, the mall below is the best in the city, by far.
Its laughable residents near the top are snobbish, there are at least far 5 superior buildings within 2 blocks. More likely its just the vast size of the building creating the anonimity or lack of interaction.

Back