News   Apr 25, 2024
 88     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Which Toronto Councillors Have The Most Power?

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Define 'power' however you want. I'm curious which ones are responsible for the most important decisions in the city? Which ones sway the future of big projects and have the biggest impact on us as a city. Not just their individual constituents. Love 'em or hate 'em, which ones are the powerful ones? Or are they all totally equal?

Technically, the four Deputy Mayors should have more "power" than the rest of the Councillors:
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong (Statutory Deputy Mayor) (City of Toronto and North Toronto)
  • Vince Crisanti (West Toronto)
  • Glenn De Baeremaeker (East Toronto)
  • Pam McConnell (South Toronto)
However, Denzil Minnan-Wong seems to have more power than the rest.

Technically, the four Deputy Mayors should have more "power" than the rest of the Councillors:
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong (Statutory Deputy Mayor) (City of Toronto and North Toronto)
  • Vince Crisanti (West Toronto)
  • Glenn De Baeremaeker (East Toronto)
  • Pam McConnell (South Toronto)
However, Denzil Minnan-Wong seems to have more power than the rest.
The other three are purely ceremonial roles.

The real question is which councillors have the ability to whip votes to support their own agendas. This would include both council as a whole and the various committees.

Where does Pam McConnell's power lie? I ask because she's my coucillor and I didn't know she was that powerful.

The one with the best/greatest potential/ability to mobilize and inspire people?

Kristyn Wong-Tam.

No question.

I don't always agree with her, but she represents her constituents very, very well.

So ... I pick her.

While I agree KWT is one of the more thoughtful voices on Council - not exactly a high bar - she couldn't even protect the short-lived Jarvis bike lanes in her own Ward from DMW's fury.

Back