1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

which neighbourhood has the most...

kelbon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm wondering which of Toronto's many neighbourhoods has a large population of east African Muslims. I know Thorncliffe Park has a high Muslim pop, but mostly of Asian descent.

Anyone know where the Swahili speaking Muslims can be found en masse?

Thanks!

Do you mean Ismailis?

If so, no clue. Probably the burbs - Sauga, Brampton, Markham. I dated an Ismaili girl once..she was from Scarborough. There was also one of their mosques there around Finch and VP or something..so maybe around North Scarlem

There is a huge concentration of Somalis along Dixon Road, especially in the high-rise towers just west of Islington. Can't speak for other persons of East African origin, although there may be a concentration around Finch and Weston Road.

There used to be an Ethiopian presence downtown on Bloor between Christie Pits and Dufferin. They eventually got partly sub-planted by Eritreans. While the Eritrean commercial establishments remain few East Africans actually live in the area. The bars etc. are mostly frequented by old men (much like old Greek, Portugese or Italian men's clubs) and off-duty cab drivers.

There is a huge concentration of Somalis along Dixon Road, especially in the high-rise towers just west of Islington. Can't speak for other persons of East African origin, although there may be a concentration around Finch and Weston Road.
There's also a huge concentration a little further east in Weston.

I'm wondering which of Toronto's many neighbourhoods has a large population of east African Muslims. I know Thorncliffe Park has a high Muslim pop, but mostly of Asian descent.

Anyone know where the Swahili speaking Muslims can be found en masse?

Strange question. Why? Food? Folks? Fun?

Back