News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Where to get a modern kitchen island?

gentlepuppies

Member Bio
Reaction score
The kitchen in my new condo has about 2 linear feet of counter space lol. I want 5 more feet, in the form of a fixed island/kitchen table (no cabinets). I'm thinking a white Corian for the top and 2 ends, connected by a wood veneer, as basic as it gets:

aFEPyax.png

I'm hoping to keep this around $1000 or less.

I was looking for something like this when I was condo shopping and gave up. The prices are high especially for what you want. For what you described, you'd be lucky to find anything under $5K.

Good start might be with Ikea? You can design the island and get pricing on it in store.

Ok, doesn't have to be solid corian, just a thin veneer on top to match my existing countertop will do! As long as it doesn't look like it's from Ikea!

m7zioFY.png

My recommendation is to use IKEA to build the cabinets and find a granite/stone place for the countertop.

Back in 2011 we built our kitchen island this way. We paid about $1,000 for the cabinetry (including doors and drawers). I think our island is about 6-feet by 6-feet.

We paid $800 for the granite counter top installed. We may have gotten a deal because it was my father-in-laws friend.

The base for the island you are looking to build shouldn't be to expensive based on your sketch.

unfortunately Ikea countertops come in standard 2 foot depths. I'd need at least 30 inches depth for it to work as a dining table.

My quote from Ikea (excluding supporting millwork) was $3500 for the first picture and $2000 for the second picture (though with the same 1.5" stone - thinner wasn't an option). The cheapest option would be acrylic at $1500 for the second picture (also 1.5" thick). Yikes!

I have heard that Quartz is a great material for counter tops since it does not stain and is durable. I would also love to have a big island but my current kitchen layout does not allow for it.

I did my island with a quartz countertop, 48" x 75", and would recommend it highly if you can afford it. No problems after almost 6 years.

Back