News   Mar 28, 2024
 124     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 183     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

What's the future for the NDP?

Ironically Trudeau was the "Jack" of the campaign and Mulcair was the "Ignatieff."

I personally find it astounding how he thinks he can stay on.

There are some real benefits to having dictatorial majority mandates; however, there is sometimes a conflict between effective government and representation. From a representative perspective I feel the most important thing influencing the NDP is what is happening to the Conservatives. I am a huge critic of the two party bipolar politics south of the border. I think there are real reasons for why politics devolves into a two party dynamic but I don't think it's healthy.

So why does the Conservative party matter so much to the NDP? Because frankly the Conservatives are a big tent that is non-representative of it's membership's views. Really, the united right is as divided as the NDP are from the Liberals. The presence of a second right-of-centre party would allow Canadians, and especially NDP voters to feel more free to vote with their hearts and feel represented in Parliament. The trouble with this four or five party system is that government effectiveness may be impacted because it would be harder to get anything done in a semi-permanent minority parliament.

The NDP in my opinion will never from government in Ottawa unless it is as leader in a minority coalition. So the Machiavellian thing for the NDP to do is to help form another right-of-centre party. On party would maybe be socially conservative, populist, de-centralist and small government. The other would be centralist, Nationalist,, pro-trade and big business, and fiscally conservative.

The Liberals have moved sharply to the left, both Provincially and Federally, even though they campaign as moderates. They are essentially a less honest version of the NDP. Unfortunately for the NDP, integrity is not that important of a factor for their voters and the base has shifted to the Liberals.

Wow. What a repudiation.

His speech was pretty flat and his bizarre attempt to win over the left of the party by saying he'd accept the Leap Manifesto turned off the right of the party and the large AB/SK contingent. In other words he lost support everywhere.

Last edited:
Toronto has had reasonable representation in the "leader" category.

In the past 10 years, Harper, Layton, and Ignatief were all 1/2 Toronto.

Back