News   Apr 19, 2024
 203     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 530     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 675     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

BREAKING | @RonaAmbrose is *not* running for the Conservative leadership. "I have really struggled with the decision to return to political life ... the truth is, I love being back in Alberta," she says.

I was expecting this. She would have done well as leader though.

This Decarie guy seems to be the standard bearer SoCon.

Last edited:

Why? He's got a good point: abortion in this country is just a non-legal grey zone judicial dead area. Why shouldn't it be codified? I mean, sure, that's probably not what he'd want, but it should happen anyway.

He's also right about bold ideas.....the creaky structure of the status quo needs to be exploded completely with the rubble burnt, buried, and chucked into the ocean to never be seen again. Policy in this country is largely so staid as to be meaningless. Then you get the occasional Wilson-Raybould doing her job, damn the politics and look what happens. The cynicism isn't the fault of the electorate, it's the fault of the status quo political apparatus.

I doubt I'd ever agree with this guy on almost anything, but that doesn't mean one need dismiss him out of hand because he's been prejudged and labeled as something vague as all hell that doesn't jive with one's own self-identifying nonsense.

And they're off---

Emphasizing his "so-con" values, federal leadership hopeful, Richard Décarie says "LGBTQ" is a "fake Liberal" term and that being gay is a "choice." #cdnpoli #ctvpp More at http://CTVNews.ca

I don't know about homosexuality as a choice as I'm not homosexual but I'm also not heterosexual and also never use that particular acronym. So I'm going with it's looking like I can sort of agree with the dude. :p

I would very much love to know what he means by that being a "fake Liberal" term though. They didn't invent it. They have their own fake terms like "respected PM", for example.

To the credit of the CPC, the party is rapidly denouncing him. I think the best response came from a newly elected MP who also happens to be gay. Even crazy Rempel has no time for his nonsense.

Why? He's got a good point: abortion in this country is just a non-legal grey zone judicial dead area. Why shouldn't it be codified? I mean, sure, that's probably not what he'd want, but it should happen anyway.

He's also right about bold ideas.....the creaky structure of the status quo needs to be exploded completely with the rubble burnt, buried, and chucked into the ocean to never be seen again. Policy in this country is largely so staid as to be meaningless. Then you get the occasional Wilson-Raybould doing her job, damn the politics and look what happens. The cynicism isn't the fault of the electorate, it's the fault of the status quo political apparatus.

I doubt I'd ever agree with this guy on almost anything, but that doesn't mean one need dismiss him out of hand because he's been prejudged and labeled as something vague as all hell that doesn't jive with one's own self-identifying nonsense.

Maybe if he had been an MP for longer than since the last election, I would take him seriously....

Maybe if he had been an MP for longer than since the last election, I would take him seriously....

But why a clown show? He seems alright. You dismissed him out of hand because he's socially conservative. I don't do that and I'm a half-baked libertarian and so allergic to social conservatism.

You're a bit too so-con shy, mate.

One problem is that to codify it, to create definitions, boundaries and sanctions within criminal law, the state is making a moral judgement on, what many believe is a personal medical decision. Once you invoke 'it's involves another human being', then you inject an unresolved moral perspective. There is also no criminal involvement in treating a broken leg. Medical regulators in most, if not all provinces, have rules surrounding performing abortions based on patient safety.

At the end of the day, the topic is political kryptonite.

One problem is that to codify it, to create definitions, boundaries and sanctions within criminal law, the state is making a moral judgement on, what many believe is a personal medical decision. Once you invoke 'it's involves another human being', then you inject an unresolved moral perspective. There is also no criminal involvement in treating a broken leg. Medical regulators in most, if not all provinces, have rules surrounding performing abortions based on patient safety.

Also, the degree of eagerness anti-abortion activists (and not so much so the medical community) have in codifying it suggests to me the goal is to use it as a wedge to jam the door open.

AoD

Yes, but we've managed to codify euthanasia which can also be construed as a moral judgment one way or another.

I don't see why we should be scared of addressing it as a society. People are just way too emotional and stunted if you ask me, which no one has but I'm telling ya anyway. :p

I'm all for abortions. I think they're great. Kept me from having to deal with someone else's child or having a child with a narcissistic psychopath...I just reckon the whole thing could be a bit more legit and equally accessible. I was lucky...I live in Toronto. There are all sorts of places in this country where getting an abortion is a nightmare.....and that's people trying to get them for better reasons than me and my ex-waste of time, er wifey.

Back