News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

BurlOak, I’m not sure but you may have more personal experience observing politics than I do during those previous eras. I agree that the post Martin Liberals culminating in Trudeau bare a lot of responsibility for the polarization of today but fundamentally the laws of physics hold and they were evolving in equal and opposite reaction to the reverse takeover of the PC’a by the Reform movement.

Fundamentally I feel there were (all apologies to the people themselves) a lot of bad actors in all parties that somehow migrated in pipelines from Provincial politics to the Federal level bringing their extremism with them

Now you have the NDP mad about Canada recognizing the new President in Venezuela, while the CPC fancies themselves right wing populists.

Yet Golden Boy Trudeau is polling rather poorly against Harper 2.0. (but seat breakdown is better for Trudeau)

Imagine if Trudeau faced a real populist likely in 2023....

All Trudeau really needs to do is clean up in Ontario and Quebec. Decent numbers in BC and the Atlantic provinces will help too. Doug Ford's nonsense will boost Liberal fortunes in Ontario. Plus, the polling from Quebec indicates that the PPC is hurting the CPC in a noticeable way.

I don’t find Steven Harper’s musings on the current and future state of Conservatism either helpful or encouraging

Looks like O'Leary's wife got thrown under the boat...

#BREAKING: OPP say Linda O'Leary has been charged with careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act following a fatal boat crash on Aug. 24 on Lake Joseph.

Last edited:
I would think if there was evidence to support a more serious charge, such as 'dangerous operation of a vessel' under the Criminal Code, they would have laid it. To paraphrase, they would have to prove wanton or reckless negligence on her part. 'Careless Operation of a Vessel' under the Small Vessel Regs. of the Canada Shipping Act is somewhat similar to Careless Driving under the HTA. I'm not up on current case law but, basically, if you're operating a boat, and hit something (another boat, a shoal, land, etc.) you were careless. The fact that the other vessel wasn't displaying lights might be raised as a defence, but an island doesn't necessarily have lights either.
There's been some confusing info in the press article I read. The OPP said that the case would be handled by a federal prosecutor which I'm not sure is the case. The Act is not under exclusive federal jurisdiction. If that's the case the PPSC must have staff permanently posted to cottage country for all the CSA charges that come out of there. Also, somebody said she will end up with a criminal record if convicted. She will not.

I would think if there was evidence to support a more serious charge, such as 'dangerous operation of a vessel' under the Criminal Code, they would have laid it. To paraphrase, they would have to prove wanton or reckless negligence on her part. 'Careless Operation of a Vessel' under the Small Vessel Regs. of the Canada Shipping Act is somewhat similar to Careless Driving under the HTA. I'm not up on current case law but, basically, if you're operating a boat, and hit something (another boat, a shoal, land, etc.) you were careless. The fact that the other vessel wasn't displaying lights might be raised as a defence, but an island doesn't necessarily have lights either.
There's been some confusing info in the press article I read. The OPP said that the case would be handled by a federal prosecutor which I'm not sure is the case. The Act is not under exclusive federal jurisdiction. If that's the case the PPSC must have staff permanently posted to cottage country for all the CSA charges that come out of there. Also, somebody said she will end up with a criminal record if convicted. She will not.
I'm surprised the other boat driver was not charged with the same Careless operation.
Do we know if the other driver was killed, or was is passengers?

Back