News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

The people supporting him on Twitter are not the best bunch. You know, with the red X in their name and MOGA/MCGA/MAGA hashtags.

Maclean’s had a recent series asking prominent Right and Left figures what the problems with their movements and the other movements are.

Reading Hugh Segal’s piece makes me weep for the sorry state of politics today on the Right and Left.

Maclean’s had a recent series asking prominent Right and Left figures what the problems with their movements and the other movements are.

Reading Hugh Segal’s piece makes me weep for the sorry state of politics today on the Right and Left.
From what I recall, I don't think there was much difference between Right and Left up until Trudeau got elected. He moved strongly to the left. Joe Clark tried to go back to the center but was quickly defeated. Mulroney campaigned on the right but governed in the new center (which was a bit left of the previous center. Chretien and Martin campaigned on the left and governed near the center. Then Harper campaigned on the right and governed in the center. Trudeau has now moved to the left again. I'd say generally there has been continuity for quite some time with 2 notable jumps to the left.

The articles in question.

Asking 'the Right':

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/what-is-wrong-with-the-canadian-right-we-asked-the-right/

Asking 'the Left'

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/whats-wrong-with-the-left-in-canada-we-asked-the-left/

Now you have the NDP mad about Canada recognizing the new President in Venezuela, while the CPC fancies themselves right wing populists.

Hate to say it, but the commentators on the right seem way more reasonable, echoing a general desire for more nuance and civility in political discourse. The commentators on the left seem to be perpetrating the exact critiques that the commentators on the right spoke of, including stereotyping the right from a position that presumes self-righteousness on all issues. The left commentators have no problem with us vs them politics, whereas the right commentators are very concerned about populist figures from their own "camp".

It is not a good look, for 2019.

Now you have the NDP mad about Canada recognizing the new President in Venezuela, while the CPC fancies themselves right wing populists.
As someone who has very close ties to Venezuela, I will never understood the Left's obsession with failed populists dictators like Chavez and Maduro. It should speak volumes to the situation that by this point, there are likely more Chavistas in the West than there are in Venezuela.

Venezuela hasn't had a judicial or legislative branch of government for two years now, alongside the complete economic collapse and close to famine conditions that has led to millions of Venezuelans fleeing the country. The hypocrisy is outstanding, especially since the rhetoric that came from Chavez (and Maduro) since the very beginning has always been of a very similar style to that of Donald Trump, a figure that the left absolutely reviles. I suppose when it is "one of our guys", it makes it okay.

Jagmeet is shooting himself in the foot with his handling of the situation. Meanwhile, Trudeau did the right thing and recognized the opposition leader as President.

Back