News   Mar 28, 2024
 965     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

One wonders what is needed for them to win.

-Barbaric Cultural Practices hotline
-Racism and xenophobia
-The niqab
-Homophobia (in the case of my MP)
-Senate scandal
-The migrant crisis
-Idiots like Chris Alexander

Face facts. No one has won a fourth term since 1908. Harper was going to have a tough time doing that. Maybe if Harper peed in a mug, he would have got better numbers.

Remember all of those immigrants that Harper got to vote for him in 2011? He managed to lose all of that support.

There is that - but also how would the other MPs feel talking (openly) about replacing Harper with Harper breathing down their neck, after all that had happened?

Yes, he would still be pulling the strings.

Last edited:
Remember all of those immigrants that Harper got to vote for him in 2011? He managed to lose all of that support.

Not all of it. The Conservatives did very well among Chinese Canadians, picking up the new seat of Markham-Unionville and holding Richmond BC.

Last edited:
Richmond was in fact the only coastal riding (east or west) that voted Conservative.

The results in BC were quite stunning, actually.

ETA: One of two. The exurban seat of South Surrey-White Rock also went Conservative.

Last edited:
Another "immigrant group" that stuck by Harper: Russian Jews.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there was greater "retention" among Poles (might explain some of the high-in-defeat Mississauga results)--and wouldn't even mind seeing polling results in places like Thorncliffe for any federal-echo "sex ed backlash" effect (though that's more a token push against preset Lib predominance)

He couldn't say that he stepped down as CPC leader in his concession speech, so it isn't surprising. The moving trucks are already at 24 Sussex though.

He couldn't say that he stepped down as CPC leader in his concession speech, so it isn't surprising. The moving trucks are already at 24 Sussex though.

There is that, but willfully obstructing power transfer is another thing entirely - delays do not reflect well on him, and if the GG need to be involved for it to happen it'd be a crisis.

AoD

kady o'malley ‏@kady 20m20 minutes ago
UPDATE! Stephen Harper hasn't resigned, but intends to do so on Nov. 4, and it is all very bizarrely secretive: http://ottawacitizen.com/storyline/kady-has-stephen-harper-resigned-yet-no-one-will-say…

Clinging on until the last second.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...esentation-would-be-bad-for-the-conservatives

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/rona-ambrose-to-run-for-conservative-interim-leadership/

Reefer Madness herself is running for interim CPC leadership. There are now six people committed to that.

Last edited:
The Federal party is in just as much trouble as the provincial one.

Provincially, Wynne and McGuinty as been the worst leaders in Ontarios history. Bringing Ontario from economic powerhouse to have-not status, and unemployment rate below the national average, an increase in debt by 100%, an increase in debt to GDP by 45% (abt. 28% to 41%), not to mention scandal upon billion dollar scandal. All this and the Conservatives cannot win. One wonders what is needed for them to win.

Federally, Harper had the best economy in the G7, most jobs created in the G7, most admired country in the world, debt to GDP ratio holding steady at 30% (best in G7), and lowered taxes and scandals measured in thousands of dollars and not billions. All this and the Conservatives cannot win. One wonders what is needed for them to win.

It used to be that we voted Liberal until they screwed up and then switched to Conservative - and stuck with them until they messed up. Now it seems that we are doing the opposite - rewarding bad goverment and punishing good government. As long as Trudeau does poorly, it looks like he will be re-elected.

If Canada was some type of 3rd world country, I could see the Liberals changing the election rules to benefit themselves. They may even try to spin it as "democratic reform". However, I cannot imagine that Canadians would be dumb enough to fall for that story and I doubt even the Liberals would try to do such a manoeuvre.
Totally true! The Liberals have done a disastrous job in Ontario and yet they keep on getting re-elected (mostly because the opposition is entirely unconvincing). After Harper fell, I heard people saying that if Trudeau screws up, that he'll be voted out of office in 4 years but I think he will get re-elected no matter what. I can totally see him being PM until 2030 because it's really image not substance that was important in this election and probably in the elections to come. He just needs to show everybody how "progressive" and hence morally superior he is to the evil Conservatives, along with throwing in a few hip buzz words and with that smile of his, he's good to good to go. I honestly wish him the best but if he intends to run continuous deficits (yeah we all know what politicians mean when they say they'll run just a couple of modest deficits), I can't see it going well.

Back