News   Apr 19, 2024
 132     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 659     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

The Canadian Right is fracturing again. Just in time for 2019...⁦

@MaximeBernier to set up his own right wing party ⁩#cdnpoli #CPC18

Wait, "right wing" or libertarian? Not the same thing, by the way.

Man, am I switching from the Greens?

This is exciting.

Knowing life, his environmental platform is going to be anti-libertarian libertarian in that a healthy planet is necessary for security of person and personal autonomy but he's going to go all hyper-capitalist and mess it up.
On the other hand, if he's anot actual libertarian then he'll be all for electoral reform so at least he'll have half my attention.

This has me stoked like the political nerd outs I used to have way back in the day when I was at university.

Do you guys think Rebel Media types will latch on the Bernier's new party?

I don't see them as natural allies, Bernier is a liberatarian and more centrist than the mainstream Canadian Conservative as an individual, but his stance on immigration could invite unwelcomed endorsements from certain populist-right types.

Or do desperate times make for unconventional allies?

Could an early election be called? I know that Trudeau said that wouldn't happen, but this is the perfect time to take advantage of weak opposition.

Could an early election be called? I know that Trudeau said that wouldn't happen, but this is the perfect time to take advantage of weak opposition.
I saw someone suggest that elsewhere, but I am of the belief that he should allow Bernier's party to gain momentum first, so that it can sap into the Conservative vote. Striking early might not allow Bernier time to organize.

Usually anti-immigration politicians advocate "protectionist" policies and appeal to concerns about economic insecurity. Which doesn't exactly jive with libertarianism.

No, it does not.

Speaking of which, I just went on a bit of a tour of the Internet and am saddened to see that he's already attracted quite a few paranoid and delusional folk.
Probably some of whom rely on corporate welfare for their jobs. ><

Do you guys think Rebel Media types will latch on the Bernier's new party?

I don't see them as natural allies, Bernier is a liberatarian and more centrist than the mainstream Canadian Conservative as an individual, but his stance on immigration could invite unwelcomed endorsements from certain populist-right types.

Or do desperate times make for unconventional allies?

Good question.

I've seen quite a few paranoid folk gravitate toward him so Rebel may as well.
Will he accept them as anything more than a media outlet? I don't think so....then again, I'm a bit of a fan of his so maybe I'm just hopeful. Although, I don't mind the cut and run if I'm proven wrong.

I reckon it becomes a case of unrequited love.

I saw someone suggest that elsewhere, but I am of the belief that he should allow Bernier's party to gain momentum first, so that it can sap into the Conservative vote. Striking early might not allow Bernier time to organize.

That makes sense. Let him build a base that takes away from the CPC and then call it.

To me it looks like Trudeau has gone rogue, increase the number of illegal border crossers from likely a few hundred to tens of thousands. Then Trudeau announces he will increase Canada's immigration by 50% without any coherent plan. Seeing this and watching the press not even question Trudeau's motives or rationale caused Maxime to blow a gasket. Conservatives increased immigration to near record levels - but they did it in a rational and measured fashion - and that's why those immigrants (and refugees) who came here legally think that Trudeau is a fool. Maxime was upset that Sheer did not call out Trudeau on his reckless bahaviour. Sheer decided to remain calm and stay to the centre side of Trudeau's extreme left position, and not dare to venture anywhere right of there.

To me it looks like Trudeau has gone rogue, increase the number of illegal border crossers from likely a few hundred to tens of thousands. Then Trudeau announces he will increase Canada's immigration by 50% without any coherent plan. Seeing this and watching the press not even question Trudeau's motives or rationale caused Maxime to blow a gasket. Conservatives increased immigration to near record levels - but they did it in a rational and measured fashion - and that's why those immigrants (and refugees) who came here legally think that Trudeau is a fool. Maxime was upset that Sheer did not call out Trudeau on his reckless bahaviour. Sheer decided to remain calm and stay to the centre side of Trudeau's extreme left position, and not dare to venture anywhere right of there.

This is funny as hell.

The Conservatives are in-fighting yet you somehow find a way to blame it on Trudeau.

LOL.

I doubt Bernier's party gets a high percentage of the vote... maybe 2%? Considerably below the Greens, but ahead of the Libertarians or Marijuana Party.

Back