News   Apr 24, 2024
 252     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 575     0 

Whats going on at Yonge/Eglinton?

slowtyper

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok, I apologize..I'm not exactly sure where to put this. The other forums seem very "structured" and I dont' know if I could just open a new thread there.

North of Yonge and Eglinton there is a lot of road construction and I notice a lot of "for lease" signs on the east side. There was an old Mendocino there as well as many other stores for lease.

I'm not familiar with the area and was just wondering what was going on and why so many stores would be up for lease at the same time.

Thanks

I walked up Yonge north of Eglinton to the huge Sporting Life store at Blythwood Road this past weekend and I was also very surprised by the number of vacant stores.

I find turnover was always kind of high at Yonge and Eglinton. New stores would show up and then disappear within a year, but now the Nike Store is gone (I don't think it lasted a year) and I think I read on this forum that the Puma store is also closing (I can't remember if it was already gone).

Probably just the economic climate, people aren't spending the money on clothes. Also, in the past, when a store would close, a new store would be willing to step in immediately, lease the space and give it a go. I don't see that happening at Yonge/Eg anymore.

Yes that is where I was talking about, particularly the east side of Yonge. It seemed strange so I was wondering if there was some particular reason such as maybe the road work i saw done was for some big project that would be there for a long time or something and there was something inherently bad about those spots.

There has been road work on going there since late spring and a sign says expect it through November. Looks like they are laying/replacing pipes. Might be related to the new condos that have gone up (Minto) and are going up (The Republic).

They have also torn up half the sidewalk on the east side which has no doubt hurt store traffic there.

The restaurants are always packed though...

I don't think the area is very strategic for clothing stores, but for restaurants, it's a different story.

I live in Yonge/Eg, I don't need the clothing stores anyway, the more restaurants the better

Back