News   Apr 18, 2024
 682     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 246     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 570     0 

What would you do if they built your condo like this? Thank you Liberty Development

Naveen

Member Bio
Reaction score

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 530
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 504
  • Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 481
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 468
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 497
Wow, I can't believe how poor that workmanship is. Is it safe to assume these pictures were taken at your PDI?

Yes this was noted and report to TARION. Check out the response I got from Liberty Development. I attached the letter. Any thoughts from urbantoronto members?

Attachments

• Letter from Liberty Development.jpg
    Letter from Liberty Development.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 490
I would blur your name and address from that document you just posted.

Back on topic though....that is poor workmanship.

If your builder refuses to replace that garbage they installed in your condo, I think you have ground to pursue a civil action against them. Who are these jokers anyway?

Wow, obviously Naveen has made his position clear in UT: what I want to know is if anyone heard of similar cases w/ this developer/development? This all seems ridiculous that a developer can be so irresponsible.

Wow, obviously Naveen has made his position clear in UT: what I want to know is if anyone heard of similar cases w/ this developer/development? This all seems ridiculous that a developer can be so irresponsible.

Hi onfence,

thank you for your input. There are many similar cases that I know from Liberty Development. Neighboring units owners also share similar experiences with this builder and are frustrated to the bone. Many regret ever buying from them in the first place. If I have stories about others what would you recommend I do? Conduct a market survey from those who live and purchased with Liberty Development? Interview them on camera?

Your thoughts would be a great help moving forward. Thank you kindly,

Naveen

That's terrible. It'll be interesting to see how their proposed solution fixes the issues. Post pics once they've fixed them. Slightly off topic - I have bought several newly constructed condos and have found generally the quality of workmanship is quite low. I am currently having some extensive work done remodelling our master bdrm and ensuite (even though the place is only one year old) in the place we bought in Corktown. I must say that the quality of the work being done now is top notch partly due to the fact that my designers are great and very focused on detail and as a result will only work with contractors they can trust. It got me wondering why more places in Toronto are not constructed unfinished. Buyers could then finish the units to their own tastes and standards. I think developers are making a bundle on finishing these places at generally a pretty low stardard.

Naveen, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the holes and stuff behind the cabinet doors... but what shocked me was how they leveled your countertop, and the massive damage to the corner of one of those cabinets (it was obviously dropped). Anyway, if the builder doesn't fix it to your liking, then you would be best to eventually advise Tarion. It's also great that you're posting on this forum for all to see!

Catapult: In China, builders do exactly that. They sell you a completely empty apartment, and you put in everything yourself, including the kitchen cabinetry! Obviously, the plumbing rough-ins are there, though. The problem with doing that is twofold: 1) The developer doesn't get to make the interior finishes money, and 2) If you are one of the first ones in... you could be living with neighbourly interior construction for ages!

Sorry to hear about your problems with Liberty Development, Naveen.
The cabinets look awful and is not acceptable -- I have seen better cabinets at an IKEA scratch and dent department.
While the damage and defects are inside the cabinets, this may cause more problems later on. Moisture from the dishwasher exhaust or cooking will further delaminate the plastic laminate over time, as the particleboard cabinet will absorb moisture.

You should file a complaint to the BBB not only against Liberty but also against Cartier Kitchens.

Catapult: Finding a core and shell condo unit is next to impossible these days. I remember a long, long time ago I was inquiring about purchasing a condo unit unfinished and the discount the developer was willing to give in lieu of finishes and fixtures was only 20% off. Core and shell units often complicates construction for the rest of the building and I'm sure their general contractor won't be happy sharing the building with another contractor. Developers simply do not want to be troubled especially when there is a lot of money to be made.

Last edited:
That's terrible. It'll be interesting to see how their proposed solution fixes the issues. Post pics once they've fixed them. Slightly off topic - I have bought several newly constructed condos and have found generally the quality of workmanship is quite low. I am currently having some extensive work done remodelling our master bdrm and ensuite (even though the place is only one year old) in the place we bought in Corktown. I must say that the quality of the work being done now is top notch partly due to the fact that my designers are great and very focused on detail and as a result will only work with contractors they can trust. It got me wondering why more places in Toronto are not constructed unfinished. Buyers could then finish the units to their own tastes and standards. I think developers are making a bundle on finishing these places at generally a pretty low stardard.

I agree...especially when you consider how much they charge for upgrades....undermount sink = $600+ LOL.

With regards to leavign units unfinished...I don't know if I like that...having to coordinate schedules with 400 other resident's contractors would be an absolute mess. Also, the constant need to have to turn off the power/electricity because work is constantly being done.

I just think there should be more customization....a lot of owrkmanship is sh1t...but there are soem developers that use good contractors so it's really a crapshoot.

Naveen, since this happened at least last year (they indicated they were coming in November), what happened? Do you have pictures of the repairs?

Back