News   May 01, 2024
 110     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 568     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 402     0 

What will the next big thing be?

^ Hahahaha...too true, TonyV.

Well, I'd be glad to see just a few of these thingies implemented. I'd be glad to start at the top, with, say, the Planetarium and a lakeside amusement park.

And while I'm at it I'd also be thrilled to see a Waterloo University clone set up somewhere in 416.

A series of complexes for upstart tech and other would be great to see on Yonge between College and Dundas, right next to Ryerson.

Meanwhile, Ontario Place and Exhibition Place should be turned into one major amusement and conference area. It should have a full year-round amusement park with indoor components (on the mainland) and outdoor (on the island). It should also get a series of hotels, and maybe even some resorts, near the major conference centres in Exhibition Place. And I guess landscape the rest.

A series of complexes for upstart tech and other would be great to see on Yonge between College and Dundas, right next to Ryerson.

Meanwhile, Ontario Place and Exhibition Place should be turned into one major amusement and conference area. It should have a full year-round amusement park with indoor components (on the mainland) and outdoor (on the island). It should also get a series of hotels, and maybe even some resorts, near the major conference centres in Exhibition Place. And I guess landscape the rest.

Hey.. good one, and BoAd welcome to the UT forum..:)

Watch for a significant shift in how condos are built downtown Toronto. The big surface parking lots are gone, the small ones are being developed pretty quickly. The next 'wave' I'm seeing is the demolition of older, smaller office buildings and replacing them with condos. Next time your downtown look at the enormous number of 6-10 storey office buildings. These are next on the hit list.

(Almost) Nobody cares about the loss of surface parking downtown, but there are battles breweing about the heritage impact of these projects and whetehr it makes sense to demo 100,000 sf of office to build 'another' condo.

Let's not forget it costs a fair bit to demolish these smaller buildings and yes the potential public outcry. What about more development next to subway stops especially danforth area? I always wondered why there is so little there. Will the lack of parking lots be the push eastward?

Although the process has already started, the next big thing may be the densification of arterials in the inner suburbs.

i hope when they redevlop ontario place they put in a permanent roller coaster, that'd be sweet!

right now i want the the next big thing to be a big "central park" in the portlands!

right now i want the the next big thing to be a big "central park" in the portlands!

There are already many major large parks in and being created in Toronto: High Park, Humber Bay Park, Queen's Park, The Valleys, Brickworks, Downsview, West Donlands, etc.

Our parks just need to be further aestheticized.

The next big thing is the government scrapping.. the only prop, jet restriction/ban at the the Billy Bishop airport and building a new 500 meter runway extension to the west and over the lake to accommodate the new Bombardier CRJ-200 series jet airliner.

Last edited:
In TonyV's fantasy world, the "next big thing" wish-list has only one entry: the various BIAs would take a cue from the Bloor revitalization project and do much the same on other streets. No verbatim design repeats, though, just the same idea.

While we're in the fantasty world, my wish list doesn't necessarily involve supertalls, but I would gladly lift the Bank of America building out of Manhattan and plunk it where Bay-Adelaide went up, and also grab the Bank of China (I. M. Pei) from Hong Kong and plant it at Front/Simcoe. I do like height, it has its place, but I'm not height-obsessed, I am design-obsessed.

Bank of America, New York City http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=3197

Bank of China, Hong Kong http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=13

Last edited:

Back