196     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

What Toronto can learn from Calgary Transit

M

miketoronto

We can talk all we want about improving transit ridership in Toronto and the region. However I think we have to look at some facts from Calgary Transit to understand why Toronto will never see more people switch to transit, unless we centralize our employment again.

The following are some quotes from the Calgary Transit website. You can see why Calgary Transit has seen great success in the last decade while Toronto's transit has seen more people switch to cars. It all has to do with where we put the workers.
----------------

-The focus of many of Calgary’s land use policies over the past 20 years has been to preserve the downtown’s unique role as a major employment centre and to attract new
high density residential development within the downtown and within close walking distance of LRT stations and major bus corridors.

-Strategic policies have encouraged the concentration of employment in the downtown to support a high level of transit service.

-During the past decade, Calgary’s population has increased by 23 percent while Calgary Transit annual ridership increased by nearly double this rate (45 percent) to over 82 million annual revenue trips. As a result of this rapid growth, existing LRT and bus services are operating near capacity during peak travel periods

-Currently, the LRT system consists of 42.1 km of double track, 116 light rail vehicles and carries over 220,000 boarding passengers each weekday.

-Calgary is a “uniCity†in the sense that it is an urbanized area surrounded by agricultural or country residential areas. This situation allows City Council to exercise almost complete control over its urban environment, including its transportation system.

-These factors have contributed to the
development of a successful, integrated LRT and bus system.

-One of the key policies of the Calgary Transportation Plan is that “The City investment in transit and roads will be approximately equivalent.†The proposed city capital budget for 2006 to 2015 includes 47 percent funding for roads and 53 percent funding for transit.

-LRT and bus service instead of expanding downtown road access has resulted in a significant increase in the transit modal split from 37 percent in 1996 to over 42 percent in 2005.

What’s with the Calgary kick lately Mike? I travel to the city 2 to 3 times a year and based from my experiences Calgary’s transit system is quite pathetic compared to Toronto’s.

Calgary has 1 million now, but is growing rapidly. I don't know if Toronto can "learn" from Calgary but I am interested to see what they're up to. This, in particular, could have a major effect:

One of the key policies of the Calgary Transportation Plan is that “The City investment in transit and roads will be approximately equivalent.†The proposed city capital budget for 2006 to 2015 includes 47 percent funding for roads and 53 percent funding for transit.

What is the ratio in Toronto?

Just because Calgary is smaller it doesn't mean that Toronto can't learn anything from their or any other cities transit operations. That said, of course the two transit systems can't be directly compared and won't be for a long time. If Calgary can maintain it's current boom it will be decades before it approaches a contemporary Vancouver-like transit size.

Have you ever been to Calgary? The transit sucks there. The majority of people drive to work even in the DT core.

mike's post actually has nothing to do with transit, and much more to do with locating all business downtown. We've been through this topic before on other threads.

Wow. The Calgary Transit website has good things to say about their transit system? Shocking.

You guys can make all the fun you want and say their system is not as good as Toronto's. However over the decade Calgary's ridership has skyrocketed, while Toronto's has fallen or just stayed stable. At the same time Calgary Transit serves a city with much higher income levels then Toronto, and yet their ridership is still skyrocking, and the % of people using transit is going up, while in the GTA its going down.

So Calgary must be doing something right, and one of them is the location of employmen to make it easy to commute via transit to work.

Calgary's % of work trips by transit is actually almost on par with the GTA, and will soon surpass it, if we don't get our act together on transit.

Another good thing Calgary Transit does is the express bus network.

Any area that is not within a 20min bus ride of a C-TRAIN station, gets express bus service to downtown Calgary.

Mike you can't compare a city of one million people with one that has 5.5 million. When Toronto had one million people transit usage as a percentage was much higher in Toronto than what they currently have in Calgary.

Another good thing Calgary Transit does is the express bus network.

Any area that is not within a 20min bus ride of a C-TRAIN station, gets express bus service to downtown Calgary.

How many places in Calgary are a 20 min bus ride from a C-Train station? I'd doubt too many. The town is small enough to do this. Wait until Calgary hits 5 million people. Business will be spawled all over and things will be very similar to Toronto.

Calgary's % of work trips by transit is actually almost on par with the GTA, and will soon surpass it, if we don't get our act together on transit.

13.2% of Calgary CMA uses transit to get to work compared to 22.5% of Toronto CMA, so it's not even close. In fact, the rate of transit use to work in Calgary city proper is even lower than in Mississauga, let alone Toronto proper.

Mike needs to stop constantly creating these ridiculous "Calgary/Detroit is better than Toronto in every single way" threads.

I had someone from Calgary stay over at my place last week who is very familiar with transit. He's been to Toronto before, but hasn't spent much time in the TTC. In the subway, on our way to my North York place, he looked at the first/last train sign on the platform, saw the subway frequencies, and his jaw dropped.

He said C-Train runs every 5 minutes during the peak (and is crowded), but only every 15 off-peak - not that great. He isn't that impressed with CT.

Mike needs to stop constantly creating these ridiculous "Calgary/Detroit is better than Toronto in every single way" threads.

Seriously. Its proving time and time again that any idiot can draw a line on a map and say he's a transit planner.

Calgary's % of worktrips by transit is now close to 18%, and Toronto's CMA % of work trips has fallen to about 20% now.

We are not that far off.

All I am saying is that we can learn some things from Calgary Transit.

I know TTC's service levels are better, etc.

But at the same time we can take some lessons from CT and Calgary as a whole. One of them is centralized employment again, because thats the only way we will increase transit ridership to high levels.

Back