1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 582     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

What to do with 24 Sussex Drive?

What to do with 24 Sussex Drive?

• Total voters
Seriously, not to get all 'Freshcutgrass' about this, but we're not talking about a respectful BBC documentary of the raising of the Gaudi cathedral, we're talking a couple of beefy contractors taking sledgehammers to walls and whingeing that they didn't insulate properly in the 1900s.

There is nothing wrong with the type programming HGTV puts out, and it's a little more than snobbish to contented that it's somehow too boorish for this old house.

There is nothing wrong with the type programming HGTV puts out, and it's a little more than snobbish to contented that it's somehow too boorish for this old house.

Like I said, if you want respect for your Prime Minister, putting him or his residence through the HGTV treatment is probably not the way to go. But, enough. Merry Christmas.

I don't think we'd be degrading the dignity of a run-of-the-mill house, even if it is our PM's residence.

I think it should include some other Canadian stars there.. Definitely the hunky McGillivray, add Holmes, maybe Bryan Baeulmer?

Pros:
- Allowing Canadians to be 'part' of the renovations, for which we are paying for.
- Using known Canadian talent to renovate the residence of the PM.
- Monies from HGTV
- Since all HGTV Canada content seems to go to the States, this should piss them off even more!

Cons:
- ?

The only part of that with which I agree is "hunky McGillivray".

Architecturally, the house is boring on the exterior and has little iconic value compared to the White House or similar residences of heads of state. I'd reuse it for a different purpose and find a grander and more iconic house for the Prime Minister. Surely that boring faux Georgian facade isn't the best we can do.

I don't find it boring at all. It's a good looking stone house in a spectacular setting.

The PM isn't our head of state. I don't think we need to blow way more money looking for something "iconic".

I don't find it boring at all. It's a good looking stone house in a spectacular setting.

The PM isn't our head of state. I don't think we need to blow way more money looking for something "iconic".

We have to spend a lot of money to renovate and maintain 24 Sussex Drive anyway. We have the choice of spending it on a more impressive residence.

We should also recognize the PM as our head of state. Having a Canadian leading the country instead of the British monarch is far more practical and reasonable. A Canadian is more inclined to put Canada's interests first and make decisions in the nation's best interests.

We have to spend a lot of money to renovate and maintain 24 Sussex Drive anyway. We have the choice of spending it on a more impressive residence.

We should also recognize the PM as our head of state. Having a Canadian leading the country instead of the British monarch is far more practical and reasonable. A Canadian is more inclined to put Canada's interests first and make decisions in the nation's best interests.

Yeah, it is time for Canadians to have self-determination and sovereignty, instead of continuing to allow an unelected queen from another country running our government and calling all the shots. It's time for Canadians to take control of Canada and end British rule.

If Canada decides to become a republic, then the President (head of state of a republic) would live in Rideau Hall, as it is Canada's true palace and 24 Sussex Drive could be repurposed as a guest house for visiting foreign dignitaries or it could be repurposed as an embassy (or an ambassador's home, given that the British High Commissioner (equivalent to ambassador used between Commonwealth countries) to Canada lives in Earnscliffe (which is a house close to 24 Sussex Drive)).

The President could either be the current Governor General or the current Prime Minister (and abolish the position of the current Governor General).

Note the distinction between Prime Minister and President.

However, I am neutral about the monarchy vs. republic debate, though if Canada becomes a republic, I would prefer someone non-partisan to be President (and be separate from the Prime Minister).

Since you're advocating reusing 24 Sussex for another use, not sure what you are presenting is much of a choice, other than an opportunity to spend a lot more money than what 24 Sussex would take for its renovations, so that we can also have something that is allegedly more impressive or iconic. Of all the public infrastructure needs we have in this country, and all the demands there are on federal dollars, I can't imagine a new house for the PM is a pressing need, given 24 Sussex already is an impressive residence, in keeping with the role of the PM, the local history, and sitting on one the best sites in the capital (next to Earnscliffe, I suppose).

I'm not unsympathetic to that (Republicanism leaves me cold, but the monarchy even more so - I'd probably support the so-called middle option). But it ain't happening any time soon. We should be planning on the assumption that the accommodations in question are for our head of government, not our head of state (even if we got rid of the Queen, we wouldn't necessarily make the PM head of state; the Aussies, who have come a lot closer to getting rid of the monarchy and will likely someday beat us to it, never proposed making their PM head of state). In the meantime, we have an official residence needing repair.

If Canada decides to become a republic, then the President (head of state of a republic) would live in Rideau Hall, as it is Canada's true palace and 24 Sussex Drive could be repurposed as a guest house for visiting foreign dignitaries or it could be repurposed as an embassy

Or it could simply remain the home of the head of government (the PM), assuming (as you note later) that the PM wouldn't necessarily become head of state.

The Globe and Mail posed the same question about the dilapidated indoor pool at 24 Sussex.

Sink or swim: What to do about the dilapidated pool at 24 Sussex

a1-pool05nw1.JPG

Add “What to do with dad’s pool” to the pile of tough decisions facing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau early in the new year.

Forty years after his father, an inveterate swimmer, weathered negative headlines over the decision to build a cedar-wrapped pool house on the grounds of the prime minister’s official residence, the facility is in need of major repairs.

Full article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ilapidated-pool-at-24-sussex/article28029696/

The White House in Washington D.C. has two swimming pools. One outdoors, and one indoors but covered over and used as a media room. The indoor pool was installed during the 1930's for FDR's polio treatment.

Back