News   Apr 26, 2024
 45     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

What if we had a Notre Dame scale fire?

And a possible quick end to Macron's little project- I wonder if all those provocative two-day 'design' charrettes that popped up in the wake of the fire may have had a role in creating the grounds for a counter-reaction. Regardless, let's see how the National Assembly responds:

Notre-Dame Must be Restored Exactly How it Was, Declares French Senate
06:30 - 29 May, 2019 by Niall Patrick Walsh

The French Senate has stipulated that Notre-Dame cathedral must be restored exactly how it was before the major fire that damaged the landmark. As reported by French news site The Local, The French Senate approved the government’s restoration bill but added a clause that it must be restored to the state it was before the fire, seemingly ending the international competition planned by the French government for new ideas for the cathedral’s restoration.

Last edited:
That seems dumb. Why not rebuild it to modern day fire standards?

I'm going to guess that what they mean (well, to extent practicable anyway). The article seems to suggest style rather than standards, in order to ward off some of the ideas exampled in the attached photos. If I recall, there was a fire detection system installed but either not in the attic or it was deactivated during construction. If they go with the original design they will likely have to go with a steel frame. I doubt they could reasonably source timber (which can be fire-proofed) of the size, species and quantity required.

Back