News   Apr 23, 2024
 153     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 886     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 292     0 

what happens to king station when BA goes up?

W

watewate

I'm a first time poster; I tried a search on this, but nothing came up so here it goes:

Is there any chance of expanding the the King subway station when the Bay-Adelaide Centre goes ahead? It's extremely crowded as is, and I can't imagine what it'd be like with even more people.

King station

Welcome. I have no inside information, but my guess would be probably not. You would be running up against existing underground concourses and all of the pipes, utility lines, etc. in place. An expansion would be expensive and I don't know who would foot the bill (not likely the TTC).

On the other hand payment from the developer might be negotiated as a "public benefit" (section 37) in return for additional density. I'm not sure if negotiations have been concluded between the City and developer in this regard.

Re: King station

Its actually right in between King and Queen, from my walks it is closer to Queen..

Re: King station

The BA parking lot is already linked to Queen, via the Bay (thanks Lord Thomson!). In order to make a link with King, they would need to get the agreement of all the owners of the land under BA, and Scotia, and everyone who holds a mortgage on any of those parcels, plus the owners of Scotia Plaza, plus the untilities that run under Adelaide Street, plus the City. Once all of those parties agree, they would have to build a tunnel under Adelaide between Scotia Plaza and BA. My recollection is that the tunnel between Commerce Court and Scotia, when it was built in the mid '90s, took a couple of years to build.

"It's extremely crowded as is, and I can't imagine what it'd be like with even more people."

The development might add 1000-2000 people to the King platforms throughout the day...not an insignificant drop in the bucket, but it won't be noticeable unless half of them try to get on the same train at the exact same time.

the station that i see having problems is union, with all the additional traffic being generated by maple leaf square, the menkes building, pinnacle, and 18 yonge, not to mention extra GO commuters coming in to work at BA and RBC

Speaking of Union, how is the double platforming going?

ap, I believe they already have the agreements for a B/A - Scotia tunnel. It's been pencilled in as "Under Construction" on the city PATH map for years.

I doubt it - and even if they had done it back in the late 80s, they would have had to have redone it an infinite number of times since then, as the various ownerships and mortgages on both sites changed. Those agreements have to be renegotiated and/or consents obtained from every party involved every an interest in the property changes, so no one would do it and pay all those needless legals prior to actual need.

The Scotia/Commerce Court tunnel was also shown as being u/c when the first PATH maps came out in the early 90s, but the tunnel wasn't agreed to and built until years afterwards.

I'm sure you're right, but the psychological appeal of being connected to the MINT area PATH is a powerful incentive for the B/A developers to built the tunnel.

Not really. No develeoper wants to make it easier for customers to get to the stores and restaurants in someone else's building. The employes of the office tenants like the PATH a lot though.

I understand the bit about the shopping (though presumably the northbound tunnel to the Eaton Centre would provide more competition to B/A's retail concourse), but I think that the appeal to the office workers, coupled with the greater feeling that the building is part of the MINT area, would make for greater interest in the building.

PATH will be constructed between Scotia Plaza and B/A as a part of this development. No enhancements to King Station are a part of this proposal.

If I had the double misfortune to work in BA and having to take the subway to get there, I'd probably get off at Queen and walk through. It seems a shorter schlep than up out of King, through the smelly food court, throught Scotia proper and in.

I don't think anyone doubts BA will connect to Scotia. Certainly I don't. The question is when - my betting, like the Scotia connection to Commerce Court, is that it will come some years after BA is completed. Whenever that might be.

Back