News   Apr 24, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 639     0 

What does the CNE need, to be great again?

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw Automation Gallery's post on the new hotel; and an article in this morning's Star, and got thinking....

The Ex is not what it was, nor should would it really be successful again if it just became what it was.

But surely we could make The Ex a premier fair again. How do we make it draw 3,000,000?

http://www.thestar.com/theex/article/691893

Adrian Morrow
Staff Reporter

Mike Filey can remember many of the Canadian National Exhibition's high points, but one in particular sticks out. It was in 1977, when the Ex unveiled its iconic flagpole.

Then serving as special projects manager, he recalls how the CNE purchased a redwood from British Columbia so huge it took three railway cars to transport it.

"Everybody stopped to watch," says Filey of the day the tree itself arrived in Toronto, its progress down the Don Valley Parkway announced over the radio. Hewn in the Horticulture Building, the pole was the tallest in the world at the time, standing 60 metres and hung with a 6-by-12 metre Canadian flag.

The fair itself would also reach its greatest size during that era: more than 3 million people came through the gates some years.

They were greeted with the newest technological innovations, including the CLRV, which would soon enter service as Toronto's new streetcar and the Atari, one of the world's first personal computers, Filey remembers.

Some of the biggest stars of the day provided the entertainment at the grandstand – the Beach Boys, Queen, Rush, Johnny Cash, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and Diana Ross.

Last year, just under 1.4 million people attended. The CNE's place as the exhibitor of new technology is long gone, as is the grandstand.

Even the flagpole, which had begun to rot, has been taken down.

"It's not what it was," Filey says of the fair. "It's an anachronism – it's going on nostalgia these days."

The CNE isn't dying. On the contrary, its attendance numbers have held relatively steady in the last few years and the Ex has returned about $6 million in profits to the city between 1999 and 2008.

Most, however, agree that it has fallen in stature over time, and general manager David Bednar suggests several reasons for the drop in attendance.

Moving the Blue Jays out of Exhibition Stadium to the SkyDome in 1989 lessened the park's draw, he says.

What's more, the advent of the Internet means people can view the latest technology without having to leave their homes.

"People don't have as much interest in an exhibit where you walk around and look at captions," says Bednar.

Money is also part of the problem: the proliferation of arenas and other concert venues has made it more expensive to book major musical acts. The Ex also risks having a show get rained out.

The CNE isn't the only fair facing the same problems.

"Pre-MTV, pre much of anything on TV ... your only chance to see (big concerts) was at the fair. Some people (still) want to see that kind of entertainment, but many fairs can't afford to do it," says Marla Calico of the International Association of Fairs and Expositions, who previously spent more than two decades working for a fair in Missouri.

Many, however, are still thriving and breaking attendance records.

The Calgary Stampede, for instance, drew just under 1.2 million this year (its record attendance, 1.26 million, was set in 2006).

Observers attribute its success to the connection it has with the city and its heritage: many companies give their employees time off to watch the fair's opening-day parade, revellers in cowboy dress pack local bars playing country music and businesses are often decorated with hitching-posts and hay bales for the duration of the fair.

"The Calgary Stampede is truly a city-wide celebration. It's not just down at Stampede Park," says spokesman Doug Fraser.

The Stampede also offers unique attractions in the form of a large rodeo and chuck-wagon races, plus concerts by major country stars.

Finding something unique key to holding and attracting an audience for the Ex, says Gabor Forgacs, a Ryerson business professor.

"You have to give (people) a reason to go, something that they haven't seen yet," he says.

Bednar agrees, citing a speech at the Ex this year by former U.S. president Bill Clinton and a soccer game between European giants Celtic FC and SL Benfica as examples.

"One of the challenges we have is that we're competing with peoples' memories of the CNE," he says.

Still, nostalgia is a powerful draw – Bednar cites it as the main reason people come back, and Filey admits that while the CNE's attraction for adults may have diminished, it still holds excitement for their children.

"And they will probably bring their own kids, if (the CNE) is still around," says Filey.

I'm glad someone started this thread because I really wanted to add my opinion about the EX. Each year it seems to be more disappointing, this year being the worst so far. We paid $20 to park and then $15 x 2 = $50 just to get in. Other than the Heritage Court there were virtually no exhibition style displays. Having the agriculture display in the Better Living Building just feels wrong... perhaps it will revert to the Automotive building once that is complete? The whole thing has become a giant shopping mall. So many of the buildings were either closed or had nothing in them. Personally I like what the EX used to be back when I was a kid and would like to see it turn back in that direction. I remember coming through the Prince's Gates - there used to be a great sense of excitement, now just blah. I miss the old layout with the Grandstand, often hosting either a Blue Jays game or a concert. Since Medieval Times and Liberty Grand became permanent attractions they add nothing to the CNE and infact this year were outside the gates at the Dufferein entrance. Even the midway seems to be exceedingly clean and sterile which detracts from the vibe. The one jewel that carries on through it all is the Food Building - always love it! So basically we paid $50 to go shopping, and eat and drink... maybe I am just sentimental but the EX was so much better before all the modernizing and updating.

^^ I agree, the food building is always the best!

I'm hoping that BMO Field will bring the Ex back as more of as an all-year round thing. All the rest of the year, it feels like one of the most sterile parts of the city, to be honest.

I'm a soccer nut, and it certainly comes alive during both FC, and (to a bit of a lesser extent,) Marlies games. It sure has a long way to come to be a big attraction, and especially as a big attraction while the Ex is actually on.

Missing are the Grandstand shows. Afternoon shows for the kids, and evening shows for the adults. The BMO field needs a roof, even a partial one, for protection against the rain, so we can have shows like that.

I remember seeing the Three Stooges at the Grandstand.

Missing are the Grandstand shows. Afternoon shows for the kids, and evening shows for the adults. The BMO field needs a roof, even a partial one, for protection against the rain, so we can have shows like that.

I remember seeing the Three Stooges at the Grandstand.

What about the Rolling Stones, BTO, Chicago, Guess Who, Beach Boys, Cult, U2,...... ahh those were the days.:)

Not having Exhibition Stadium has really killed the EX, that stadium held over 50 thousand people. BMO field is a lot smaller and all the outdoor concerts in Toronto go to the near by molson amphitheatre. The poor ticket sales of Bill Clinton at BMO should tell the organizers at the EX people want to be entertained not put to sleep! I would love to see Cirque du Soleil moved to the CNE grounds.

I take the unpopular view that the CNE is a waste of an area that is one of this city's best opportunities to do something that has an immense year-round impact. Yep, it's the Canadian National Exhibition, but only by name really. Let's be honest - it's a provincial or even regional fair. I think a national fair should move around the country and give cities the opportunity to showcase their area. Essentially, it would become a Canadian version of the World's Fair. It would help spur nationalism and get people out to other areas of the country that they may not have had any reason to have visited before, as well as have a significant impact on the host's economy. People would actually take pride in the event (possibly trying to out-do previous ones held by other cities) and hosting it would become a privilege that wouldn't be taken lightly. Just look at the Grey Cup and the number of people who base their annual vacations around where its hosted. Maybe return it to Toronto ever 5 years like they do with the British Open and St Andrews. People here would come out in droves then.

The second part of this is that I think the Exhibition lands are prime space for significant public spaces, museums and other attractions that can be used year round. Does anyone really think Toronto wouldn't be better off or couldn't make more money on year round attractions than the annual 2 week sugar high? The opportunity here to create fantastic public spaces, museums, attractions, etc for the locals and to enhance Toronto's tourism product is significant. We can have it so much better than the Whack-a-mole.

I think we have a chance to kill two birds with one stone here. We can return the CNE to its standing as an important event and we can improve the CNE grounds and make Toronto even better.

I'm glad someone started this thread because I really wanted to add my opinion about the EX. Each year it seems to be more disappointing, this year being the worst so far. We paid $20 to park and then $15 x 2 = $50 just to get in. Other than the Heritage Court there were virtually no exhibition style displays. Having the agriculture display in the Better Living Building just feels wrong... perhaps it will revert to the Automotive building once that is complete? The whole thing has become a giant shopping mall. So many of the buildings were either closed or had nothing in them. Personally I like what the EX used to be back when I was a kid and would like to see it turn back in that direction. I remember coming through the Prince's Gates - there used to be a great sense of excitement, now just blah. I miss the old layout with the Grandstand, often hosting either a Blue Jays game or a concert. Since Medieval Times and Liberty Grand became permanent attractions they add nothing to the CNE and infact this year were outside the gates at the Dufferein entrance. Even the midway seems to be exceedingly clean and sterile which detracts from the vibe. The one jewel that carries on through it all is the Food Building - always love it! So basically we paid $50 to go shopping, and eat and drink... maybe I am just sentimental but the EX was so much better before all the modernizing and updating.

Why would you drive there when The EX is so accessible via TTC and GO with stops right in the fair? I'd also debate your complaint about the price. Where else in the city can you get so much entertainment (a day won't be enough) for just $15 bucks? I agree with you however, that finding that entertainment isn't easy and most people stick to the most visible midway and shopping for the duration of their day there.

I sat on the board of directors of the CNE for a short while and my time there was frustrating. I went in with excellent ideas to keep it relevant to today's generation (those same ideas got me elected), but unfortunately the board is a place where you have all these old men trying to come up with ideas to please young people and the result is the same as your grandfather picking out an outfit for you to go clubbing. They stick to the old establishment and there's no budging them. My ideas were heard in committees and applauded but implementation was elusive because doing the same old thing year over year is the safe thing to do with minor changes and new acts incrementally being added.

However, the Exhibition grounds are going in the right direction, becoming a year round destination with the addition of BMO field, the always busy Direct Energy Centre and now the Automotive building being converted into a beautiful convention centre (no the animal farm will not return there -- it opens in October 100% unrecognizable from its barn feel... and smell). A future hotel, and proper landscaping will keep it humming year round.

The main theme of my proposal is that The Ex should be a year round operation culminating in the 2 week festival that we call the CNE. Continue building in attractions that will keep it busy during the year and then two weeks before labour day bring on a celebration with the stream of shows, rides, food, entertainment that make up the CNE.

The article mentions that President David Bedner says that the CNE can't afford the type of acts that would attract the numbers they'd like. Well, I'm here to say that the CNE can afford acts that would attract thousands of people... just not the acts that they're used to landing. They're looking in the wrong places.

I'm not talking about the Jonas Brothers or the Rolling Stones. Toronto has a huge DJ educated population. I work in the nightlife industry and people know their DJ's. This isn't just a niche part of the population either. A very large part of it. Guess what? A lot of those people don't find an appeal at the CNE right now. Bring in a well known DJ every night and you have a new demographic in very large numbers that hasn't been tapped yet.

International DJs often come to Toronto to play in sold out venues like Circa with thousands of people coming for those events. Yet, those same international DJs play in smaller clubs throughout the city. How do they afford them? Simple: because they're affordable. They're big on name and recognition but demand a fee well within the CNE's budget.

That said, the Ex does give you incredible value for your money. The performances at the Ricoh Coliseum put on by Circ du Soleil are alone easily worth $80-$120 bucks a seat yet you get in free with your entrance to the grounds. Also @ Ricoh, the horse and ice shows of the past years were gems that had people lining up to get into. We need more people to see them. They fill up quick. These are shows that should be held at the much larger capacity BMO field.... but because of the expensive artificial turf, we can't even use the stadium for a concert, let alone shows that require ice or sand.

The different shows that go on throughout the day in different parts of the grounds do keep it interesting, but because everything is so spread out, people end up thinking the CNE is all about the rides and the shopping.

Getting to that, the sales floor has become excessive and I made my opinion heard on it. However, it is one of the reliable revenue streams that allows the Ex to keep its doors open year after year. Suggesting that we reduce the shopping surface is political suicide within the board and CNE association.

I'd like to see revenue coming in from other parts of the operation allowing the shopping to become more contained and yet, keep it unique by emphasizing the current "booth by country" theme.

Improvements are slated to be coming to the grounds themselves in 2010 with a more organized layout and one that is better prepared for the setup of the midway without running wires everywhere.

My time on the board saw the selection of a new midway company since the one that had been serving the CNE for years had come to gain a reputation for lack safety standards. There were quite a few incidents over the years and many people I know (including myself) weren't confident about the rides. You've noticed how much cleaner and better operated the rides are now. They're also safer.

Building on that progress, I'd like to see the construction of a large permanent ferris wheel, one that could be facing the lake on one side and the fair on the other. While considered a slow ride and one low on the excitement level, a good ferris wheel is a pleasurable experience, specially at night. A temporary wheel like the one brought in by the midway can never provide the kind of height and capacity needed to make it a big attraction. A permanent one would become just as iconic to the CNE as the wind turbine has become in recent years.

The most expensive proposition I'd make, but one that could be a game changer for the Ex grounds is to deck over the portion of Lakeshore from Newfoundland Dr. to Ontario Dr. -- essentially the length of the main fair grounds.

Connecting the CNE to the waterfront via Ontario Place with a deck built to support a "Great Lawn" with HTOesque umbrellas and picnic tables could become a great new space in Toronto and during the CNE, finally solve the problem of where to eat at the fair. There are plenty of places to buy food, but very few good ones to sit down and enjoy your meal.

In conclusion, the CNE is still a great place to visit with immense value for your $15, so much to do and never enough time in a day to do it all ... if you knew what was going on. Progress is incremental, but just slow enough to keep the CNE looking slightly dated and irrelevant.

The board of directors is encouraging a new generation of young members and in recent years that has happened with younger people coming on to the board and more women also joining the ranks, breaking with the past snapshot of a board filled with white haired old men.

Change is coming but it needs to come faster or the CNE will risk becoming irrelevant and losing its influence and power to continue using such valuable real estate.

... now, off to the CNE and the Airshow I go!

Last edited:
I take the unpopular view that the CNE is a waste of an area that is one of this city's best opportunities to do something that has an immense year-round impact. Yep, it's the Canadian National Exhibition, but only by name really. Let's be honest - it's a provincial or even regional fair. I think a national fair should move around the country and give cities the opportunity to showcase their area. Essentially, it would become a Canadian version of the World's Fair. It would help spur nationalism and get people out to other areas of the country that they may not have had any reason to have visited before, as well as have a significant impact on the host's economy. People would actually take pride in the event (possibly trying to out-do previous ones held by other cities) and hosting it would become a privilege that wouldn't be taken lightly. Just look at the Grey Cup and the number of people who base their annual vacations around where its hosted. Maybe return it to Toronto ever 5 years like they do with the British Open and St Andrews. People here would come out in droves then.
Maybe the CNE shouldn't be a single event, but sort of a rotation of attention. For instance, in Toronto the CNE would be sort of a souped-up version of the current Ex. In Calgary, it would be a souped-up version of the Stampede. Other cities would create their own big event that would reflect their unique culture. These events would still be held each year, but when the CNE comes to the city, their event would be supersized and would get a lot more national attention. Dunno if that makes sense, but it sounds cool to me :D

The second part of this is that I think the Exhibition lands are prime space for significant public spaces, museums and other attractions that can be used year round. Does anyone really think Toronto wouldn't be better off or couldn't make more money on year round attractions than the annual 2 week sugar high? The opportunity here to create fantastic public spaces, museums, attractions, etc for the locals and to enhance Toronto's tourism product is significant. We can have it so much better than the Whack-a-mole.
I agree. It's kinda sad that a good half of the CNE lands is parking lot for the majority of the year. I'm not sure what they could put there, but I'd like to see some change in Ontario Place as well. It's in such a prime waterfront location, I think it makes a bunch of sense to try to go away from the kiddie park mindset it seems to be in now. I think it'd be the perfect place to put an Aquarium and fill up the rest of it with nice public space, like parks and shops.

EDIT: It's interesting, because there still needs to be enough space for big events like the CNE, but there obviously needs to be more there than there currently is. I'm still not sure what they could add to it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the post MetroMan. I don't know if I agree with everything but it was nice to hear about what's going on on the inside.

Second_in_pie - Ontario Place is going to get a huge makeover in the near future. It was one of the key elements of the Sorbara Report for the Ministry of Tourism. It's a quick win for the government and one of the few objectives where the finished product is publicly visible. So the next ten years might be a great opportunity to overhaul the entire area.

^^ Oh, that's great. I hope an Aquarium is in there. We're kinda lacking in that department, and I think an Aquarium would both fit well at Ontario Place, and it would have a lot of benefits for the attraction.

I agree, MetroMan, that was a great posts. I hope there are some changes that'll bring some life back to the grounds.

I'd like to see them kill the midway and the carny stuff - because you're really not going to lure kids in with crappy carnival rides when there's Canada's Wonderland to go to - and focus more on shows and exhibits.

very good post Metroman, thanks for the insight...

as to why I drove, well I live in Niagara Falls and my girlfriend is from the states. So it takes a fair amount of effort just to get up to Toronto. I parked inside the Direct Energy Centre because I wanted to make a fast and easy escape at the end of the day... as it turned out after we tired of the EX we drove over to the St Lawrence Market area for a late supper.

I guess its my own fault for not being aware of what was going on in the Ricoh Coliseum. On the day we were there the Horse Palace was closed. I dont know, I guess I liked the randomness that it used to have, you'd always find something unexpected in hidden parts of the buildings. I remember one year they featured a flea market on an upper floor of one of the agriculture buildings. Now everything is so corporate and slick.

I do like your idea of featuring dj style music and making better use of BMO field. On the day we were there they featured urban music at the band shell. I listen to a fair amount of urban music but the stuff they had was unlistenable to my ears and far too loud. We would have liked to have some of the ribs that were offered over there but the music scared us away.

anyways, its just not what it used to be... I am not sure if the addition of a hotel will further erode what the CNE should be all about, though I'm sure it will increase the usage of the grounds for the rest of the year.

My Turn

My thoughts:

IF...the assumption is that we want to keep the EX in some sense, then we need to make it special again. Some of that is bringing back what was, some is not.

FOOD Building: In my parents time, and as a kid a great attraction. A place to get free samples, to try new products or international foods.

Today, its mostly a food court, with chain outlets, and few giveaways.

This is an easy and small change.

Reduce the rent for the food building for vendors, and cap the number of chain outlets. Give priority to a diversity of food. Require chains to showcase at least 1 new product that has not yet been tried by them in the Toronto market. (they almost always test the new products in London, ON, why not at the CNE?)

Try to pair up with Summerlicious by having 4 high-end restaurants a day come in (1 day only each) and do $2-$5 samples of their high-end cuisine. Great exposure for the restaurants and a guaranteed draw, Bymark and Canoe and Auberge doing samples!

Move the Beer Fest from Fort York; where it always sells out, to the CNE, keep it at 3 days, cut the price in 1/2 (if you pay for Ex-Admission); but raise it by $10 for those who don't want to buy an Ex Admission.

Next Concerts/Special Events. BMO Field is a decent venue and can pack in a good 20,000++

Sure that's not good enough for some Big Acts, but it would be for many. But throw in new acts, how about a highlight concert from NxNE Music fest.

How about doing a Jazz Greats concerts with a double or triple headline.

How about getting a major star from some of the countries our many immigrants are from? (India, China etc.)

There is no denying the novelty of great rides. But let's be honest, if the EX isn't going into the year-round theme park business it can't justify 10-30 really great rides (permanent); and the temp. rides will always be lesser in nature.

But how about 1; you heard me; just 1; spectacular ride. One permanent ride, that you can only ride for 3 weeks per year.

I say its time for the FLYER II; except 3x the size; an enormous wooden Roller Coaster, and one that would have neon lights up and down every wooden pole that supports it, (or LED, I suppose)......imagine the light show on the coaster changing in sync with the one on the CN Tower. Sure its a $20M investment; but a good wooden coaster, properly maintained can have a 50-year life span. I think it would pay for itself.

Bring Back by damn cable cars; its nostalgia in some ways, but the truth is there is nothing quite like it in Toronto, and I know alot of people who has first kisses aboard those cars! :)

Have a special, LARGE, 3-week only Casino, run by Casino Niagara and Casino Rama, offering a promotional taste of what they do.

Have a special TTC promotion every year, whether its newest protoype vehicle or a chance to look under one (put it on a lift)

Keep the horses, but modify the programming to include intro-to-riding lessons and intro to polo! (2 days only!)

Ontario Place needs to be fixed up to be 2 things. An awesome kids/family park at one end; and upscale restaurants at the other.

It was a family tradition when I was Young, arrive by GO, play and ride all day; then go to "The Mariner" restaurant for dinner (a nice, sit-down, licensed place).

Get out of the business of small 'exhibition shows' and instead go for big or unique only. Can run the best computer show ever for new stuff? How about instead doing a bigger-than-life computer you could walk through, demos of what individual components do. Let kids play a build-the-computer game with mock parts. Or not. I'm just saying done run shows that pale imitations of big Auto/Electronics etc. sales.

And maybe team up with some major labels to run their warehouse sales at the EX; All Fashion in week one, electronics, hardware and home decor in weeks 2/3.

That would be a draw.

That's my thoughts!

EASY! A new board of directors, a new city council and probably a new mayor. Out present city council is slowly trying to close it down by making it crappier year after year, until nobody cares or even notices that it's CLOSED! I've been going to the EX for over 40 years and I stated to see the decline around the 1980's. It's been going steadily downhill from there and it is intentional. (sad but it's all about $$$)

Back