1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

What does No Trucks sign mean?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I see this sign in my neighbourhood, but also see dozens of large trucks, including the occasional tractor-trailer truck pass this very spot.

IMG_20211122_1159003.jpg
IMG_20211122_1158420.jpg

So, what does this sign mean? Is it a by-law or HTA rule that's not being enforced? Is it just a warning to trucks that the road may be difficult?

Some info from 311

"The most common regulation we implement on (predominantly) local residential streets is "No Heavy Trucks". This regulation applies at all times. This regulation come with a necessary exemption that stipulates the prohibition does not apply to any vehicle actually engaged in making a delivery or a collection from a premises which cannot be reached except by way of a road or portion of road where heavy trucks are prohibited, but they may only travel on that road to the extent that is unavoidable in getting to/from that premises. If this exemption was not in place residents or businesses on that street could not legally receive deliveries or servicing (garbage pick-up as an example). The intent of the heavy truck prohibition is to prevent heavy trucks from using the street as a cut-through route to avoid traffic congestion on major arterial roads, not to prevent or inconvenience heavy trucks with a legitimate reason from being on the street or in the neighbourhood."

Okay, so when I see trucks cutting the Gerrard to Parliament corner via this route, can they be reported or fined? What is the weight behind this sign?

I see this sign in my neighbourhood, but also see dozens of large trucks, including the occasional tractor-trailer truck pass this very spot.

View attachment 364701 View attachment 364702

So, what does this sign mean? Is it a by-law or HTA rule that's not being enforced? Is it just a warning to trucks that the road may be difficult?

Some info from 311

"The most common regulation we implement on (predominantly) local residential streets is "No Heavy Trucks". This regulation applies at all times. This regulation come with a necessary exemption that stipulates the prohibition does not apply to any vehicle actually engaged in making a delivery or a collection from a premises which cannot be reached except by way of a road or portion of road where heavy trucks are prohibited, but they may only travel on that road to the extent that is unavoidable in getting to/from that premises. If this exemption was not in place residents or businesses on that street could not legally receive deliveries or servicing (garbage pick-up as an example). The intent of the heavy truck prohibition is to prevent heavy trucks from using the street as a cut-through route to avoid traffic congestion on major arterial roads, not to prevent or inconvenience heavy trucks with a legitimate reason from being on the street or in the neighbourhood."

Okay, so when I see trucks cutting the Gerrard to Parliament corner via this route, can they be reported or fined? What is the weight behind this sign?
I've often wondered about those signs and whether they're ever enforced.

Much like the “local traffic only” signs, these regulations seem very difficult to enforce. A cop would have to see the truck enter the street, and then follow it until it leaves to determine if a violation has taken place.

I imagine it’s the kind of thing that’s only enforced selectively, after a community complains about too many trucks in their neighborhood.

I'm not that strong on municipal law enforcement, but the way I understand it, the sign is authorized by a regulation (615/90) under the Highway Traffic Act, and may be erected by "a municipal corporation or other authority having jurisdiction over a highway". The offence would be 'disobey an official sign', Sec 182(2) HTA. I don't know if Toronto has a specific bylaw for this type of thing.

Here's what the city has to say:

Note that a truck is exempt if it has business on the street.

Much like the “local traffic only” signs, these regulations seem very difficult to enforce. A cop would have to see the truck enter the street, and then follow it until it leaves to determine if a violation has taken place.

I imagine it’s the kind of thing that’s only enforced selectively, after a community complains about too many trucks in their neighborhood.
Interestingly, I found that a 'local traffic only' sign is not including in the Regulation I mentioned above, which probably makes sense since it would be probably unenforceable for vagueness.

I also found this posted online:

which includes the statement that "A "Local Traffic Only" sign is non-regulatory. These signs, if requested, are erected on the boundary streets leading into a community."

Interestingly, I found that a 'local traffic only' sign is not including in the Regulation I mentioned above, which probably makes sense since it would be probably unenforceable for vagueness.

I also found this posted online:

which includes the statement that "A "Local Traffic Only" sign is non-regulatory. These signs, if requested, are erected on the boundary streets leading into a community."
Though it may not have changed, the City document you quote dates from 1999.

It's mostly applies to freight trucks using local roads for through traffic. Many business get their deliveries at night time so they don't violate it either. Commercial traffic should be given a map or a route to take so they don't take the wrong street.

Do U-haul or any truck rental trucks violate this sign?

It's mostly applies to freight trucks using local roads for through traffic. Many business get their deliveries at night time so they don't violate it either. Commercial traffic should be given a map or a route to take so they don't take the wrong street.

Per my post above,

The prohibition does not apply to any vehicle actually engaged in making a delivery or a collection from a premises which cannot be reached except by way of a road or portion of road where heavy trucks are prohibited, but they may only travel on that road to the extent that is unavoidable in getting to/from that premises. If this exemption was not in place residents or businesses on that street could not legally receive deliveries or servicing (garbage pick-up as an example). The intent of the heavy truck prohibition is to prevent heavy trucks from using the street as a cut-through route to avoid traffic congestion on major arterial roads, not to prevent or inconvenience heavy trucks with a legitimate reason from being on the street or in the neighbourhood."

Enforcing the rule would require following the truck to see where it goes in order to determine if it could have followed an arterial route to get there which makes it a difficult rule to enforce, but if you did report that there are frequent violations (x trucks per hour) they might enforce it. The rules less frequently broken are hard to enforce affordably without electronic surveillance like red light cameras that see that rare occurrence and capture evidence that holds up against disputes. Even when they have blitzes for specific problem intersections and streets the goal is to be visible and give out warnings it seems.

They could but it would depend on the size of the truck and the reason to be on the street. The Toronto rule says a 'heavy truck" is anything over 5 tonnes gross. The largest truck I could find on the U-Haul website has a gross of 11.7 (which interestingly exceeds the allowable weight for a G licence in Ontario by 700Kg).

As a trucker for 47 years, the rule is that I am NOT allowed on any of these Signed Roads, UNLESS, I have a delivery, to a store or a moving van. Garbage trucks or collection of your garbage would be exempt for the day or days of pickup and not allowed after those days have taken place, or is required to use your street to get to another in your neighborhood. AND I must enter that road from the shortest route in and follow the same way out.
You can raise a complaint if any truck enters that road with No Appointments for a delivery anywhere.
The last time I was fined for being on this type of restriction road was about $300.00.

In some areas the road beds are not built strong enough to withstand the per axle weights of big trucks.

That's why in some place you will see a maximum weight per axle sign.

But again these are often difficult to enforce.

Bottom line, sign look great, but non existing enforcements just like all signs. What percentage of drivers are caught disobeying these sign?

If you are doing it legal and are stop, only have to show the paperwork to say you were required to be in this area with a good day by the enforcer.

I have a number of truckers in my family tree and some of the stories you hear about signs are laughable, but they follow the requirements of those signs. A number been in these signs areas as they were either making a pickup or drop off and never had an issue. They never been stop period.

Back