News   Apr 18, 2024
 598     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

What do you think of the Tory-Wynne feud?

I side more with

• John Tory

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Kathleen Wynne

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Pox on both their houses!

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Overall I like the tone Tory has used to move the City forward. But without clear support from the Liberals or Conservatives to fund his transit plans this City could be going back to square one polarization come election time.

The feud can't hurt Tory with his Ford Nation base. It's also a convenient distraction from the SmartTrack failure and incomplete funding plan for SSE.

I think Matlow is bang on in calling out the stupidity on City Hall here:

I ask everyone ... what has Josh Matlow done?

Seriously.

Never have you heard him rail against the tens of billions in waste, fraud, and mismanagement by many of his Liberal pals at Queen's Park.

Matlow has always campaigned for the provincial Liberals (few folks remember he ran in 2002 in Dufferin—Peel—Wellington—Grey ... finished a very respectable 2nd to ... Premier Ernie Eves), so ... no surprise: not a word.

It is astounding to me more people don't call him out for his phony self-righteousness.

I ask everyone ... what has Josh Matlow done?

Seriously.

Never have you heard him rail against the tens of billions in waste, fraud, and mismanagement by many of his Liberal pals at Queen's Park.

Matlow has always campaigned for the provincial Liberals (few folks remember he ran in 2002 in Dufferin—Peel—Wellington—Grey ... finished a very respectable 2nd to ... Premier Ernie Eves), so ... no surprise: not a word.

It is astounding to me more people don't call him out for his phony self-righteousness.

Not sure what this has too much to do with Tory and Wynne feud?

But Ill say Matlow speaks well to opposition base and I could see him do better than Chow if he decided to run for Mayor and rick his seat. His supporters wont agree, but to me I also see him as a polarizing Politician that has a hard time compromising and working with other areas demands. And whether we agree with his Political shtick, or not, it doesn't seem to be good recipe to becoming Mayor of the amalgamated City with such a hardened stance on popular inner suburban issues. So he'll likely stay in his role of extreme opposition and blaming the City for the issues mainly caused by Provincial downloading

Last edited:
Will John Tory's battle with the province pay off for Toronto? 3 experts weigh in
Mayor has been calling for 'hard commitments' from Queen’s Park in recent months

With Ontario's election less than a year away, expect Mayor John Tory to keep looking for ways to pressure Queen's Park into spending more money on Toronto.

But, will he actually get more transit and social housing money for the city?

Tory has been hounding the government for months, but so far has been unsuccessful in getting the "hard commitments" he's told CBC Toronto he's looking for. That hasn't stopped him from deploying a host of tactics to get the government's attention, including:
  • Holding meetings and news conferences with the PC and NDP leaders, though Tory has vowed to meet with the Liberals, as well
  • Handing out flyers to TTC commuters and Toronto Community Housing residents calling for their support in his battle with the province
  • Recruiting "allies" to call for provincial funding, including city council, the mayors of Canada's biggest cities and even some leaders from the 905
Ontario's Liberal government has responded by offering up lists of its investments in the city and criticizing Tory for not appreciating what it's already doing. "Mayor Tory just can't take yes for an answer," Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca has said in multiple statements.

But Tory says he'll keep asking.

"Mayor Tory won't stop standing up for Toronto," his spokesperson Don Peat said in an email.

Province has its own priorities, political scientist says

"He's got nothing to lose," said Nelson Wiseman, a political science professor at the University of Toronto.

While it's normal for mayors to ask the province for funding, considering municipalities have less money to work with, Wiseman says the frequency of Tory's requests is uncommon. However, he isn't sure the government will cave.

"The provincial Liberals have their own priorities," he told CBC Toronto, noting the government's return to a balanced budget this year.

"They don't want to jeopardize that — especially heading into their election."

Tory and city councillors alike were quick to criticize this year's provincial budget, saying it lacks new funding when the city desperately needs it.

Queen's Park may have questions for the mayor

Omar Khan, a former chief of staff to several Liberal ministers who is now the vice president of public affairs with Hill and Knowlton Strategies Canada, says Tory is likely being advised that he has some leverage right now, as Premier Kathleen Wynne's government faces a big challenge to win its fifth straight election.

There is a problem, though.

Ontario has approved revenue tools that the city isn't using, Khan says, including the ability to implement a vehicle registration tax. He says that means Tory's likely hearing this from the province: "Before you come to us asking for more money, why don't you exhaust the revenue tools that are already available to you?"

Of course, the province's decision to shoot down the city's plan to toll the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway, opting to double Toronto's share of the provincial gasoline tax by 2021 instead, is a major point of contention between the two sides.

Khan says Tory's move to work together with other politicians, including winning support from Canada's other big city mayors at a meeting in Ottawa, is a good one, but he should be careful with how far he goes in attacking the government.

"There's still a very solid chance that this government will be re-elected, and he's going to need to ensure that the relationship isn't poisoned," he said.

Tory's tough talk may have appeal, expert says
Perhaps knowing this, Tory often reiterates his thanks to the province for previous investments, and there are still recent cases where the two levels of government are working well together.

However, Tory recently said that at a time when the federal government is "coming in the front door" with funding for Toronto, the province is going out the side.

"We can't afford that," he said.

Mike Van Soelen, managing principal at Navigator Ltd., says Tory relationship with the province appears to be changing, with the mayor realizing that "quiet diplomacy" may no longer get the results he wants.

Van Soelen says Tory's more aggressive approach may also have some public appeal.

"I think Torontonians like to see their mayor fighting on their behalf," he said.

Like Wynne, Tory will be up for re-election in 2018.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/john-tory-pressure-1.4150617

MPP Berardinetti may have lost his head over Tory letter

Toronto’s chief magistrate had written Berardinetti to inform him that rather a lot of public housing units – 761 – would be shuttered by 2022, if Berardinetti and the Liberal government he’s a part of didn’t do something.

Specifically, come up with some serious cash. Toronto Community Housing’s state of good repair backlog stands at $2.6 billion, and absent that serious cash, the city can’t responsibly allow the worst of the city’s housing stock to house people. More than 7,000 across the city will be closed.

Berardinetti might have felt singled out, and strictly speaking Scarborough Southwest should be singled out. That 761 number is the highest of all 22 of the city’s provincial ridings. If anyone should be a champion with the housing minister and the premier, to get some additional funding rolling—Berardinetti would be the one.

And he did get in touch with them. But he had few kind words for the mayor. “Juvenile” was how in an interview with this publication, Berardinetti described Tory’s letter-writing campaign. “American-style politics,” he called it. He even went back in Tory’s history, digging up some early-career baggage, such as that time he signed off on a television ad for former Prime Minister Kim Campbell’s re-election campaign, making light of Jean Chretien’s facial deformity... or the Rogers negative-option billing fiasco, for which Tory was often blamed.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...-his-head-over-tory-letter-but-who-wouldn-t-/

Tory is relentless. Between him and Ford the Liberals are going to be on the defensive as far as Toronto issues are concerned right thru the election. They will either squeeze out some desperate promises or the Liberals will just see no fear of losing the faithful Toronto voter. Certainly they're not going to be hiding under the radar

Last edited:

I love this.

First ... any article from David Nickle about Tory should be taken with a grain of salt. This is the same man who begged Torontonians to vote for Olivia Chow, so ... yeah ... not exactly someone with his ear on the floor.

Second ... Lorenzo bloody Berardinetti. Really? LONG-FORGOTTEN former member of Council ... now seasoned backbencher/paycheque collector ... quietly "representing" the fine folks of Scarborough Southwest ... begging for decent leadership.

That went nowhere fast.

Expect this seat to go PC or NDP (with good reason, too) next year. Either party would be a big boost from his shitty, Z-grade community involvement.

No wonder Michelle Holland dumped his arse.

I love this.

First ... any article from David Nickle about Tory should be taken with a grain of salt. This is the same man who begged Torontonians to vote for Olivia Chow, so ... yeah ... not exactly someone with his ear on the floor.

Second ... Lorenzo bloody Berardinetti. Really? LONG-FORGOTTEN former member of Council ... now seasoned backbencher/paycheque collector ... quietly "representing" the fine folks of Scarborough Southwest ... begging for decent leadership.

That went nowhere fast.

Expect this seat to go PC or NDP (with good reason, too) next year. Either party would be a big boost from his shitty, Z-grade community involvement.

No wonder Michelle Holland dumped his arse.

David Nickle helps take the Scarborough out of Metrolands "Scarborough Mirror". I think we'll see quite a few old paycheque collectors out of a seat this time around, especially if they are going to get in a war of words with popular Politicians.

Tory is relentless. Between him and Ford the Liberals are going to be on the defensive as far as Toronto issues are concerned right thru the election. They will either squeeze out some desperate promises or the Liberals will just see no fear of losing the faithful Toronto voter. Certainly they're not going to be hiding under the radar

If anything I prefer a 'juvenile' campaign that shakes things up a bit and leaves political parties vying for control, as compared to formalities and handshakes where nothing gets done other than press releases and announcements (looking at you, Metrolinx and Del Duca).

If anything I prefer a 'juvenile' campaign that shakes things up a bit and leaves political parties vying for control, as compared to formalities and handshakes where nothing gets done other than press releases and announcements (looking at you, Metrolinx and Del Duca).

Agreed. Someone needs to start shaking the tree. If nothing happens, whats the difference. Public optics are huge in Politics for an Government or Corporation. This type of pressure from Tory whether "juvenile" or "tactful" is long overdue

Back