News   Mar 28, 2024
 136     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 194     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

What do you think of the Tory-Wynne feud?

I side more with

• John Tory

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Kathleen Wynne

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Pox on both their houses!

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Like professional wrestling?

More of a show in order to score points in their own political spheres.

I can't believe Tory has the gall to expect more money while he's wasting our money away on the Gardiner and Scarborough subway. But Wynne has been terrible too. *shake my head*

He's justified to ask for more money after being shut down on tolls.

The mayor would have a more credible case if he had actually used all the available revenue tools. He cries poor while making his annual politically-driven point of keeping property taxes below inflation. At the same time, when it comes to multi-billion projects like the SSE and Gardiner Expressway, he chose to go ahead with the most expensive option based on anecdotal evidence and political reasons, against opposition from city staff. Toronto was never forced to go ahead with these projects at horrific expense, it chose to all on its own. Overall the message this sends to Queens Park is that Toronto, despite claims to the contrary, has enough money to fund the mayor’s priorities.

Reactions: DSC
Push comes to shovel, both JoTo and the Liberals at large cared more about the Gardiner, SSE both politically and philosophically than TCHC. That's there is to that.

AoD

My main complaint about Tory is good absolute refusal to increase property taxes after making (mostly) reasonable spending promises. The reason I side with him anyway is that the province, Wynne included, invested years in convincing Torontonians of the need for revenue tools for transit, and then when the city finally got together the nerve to ask for permission to implement tolls, Wynne shut them down. To me this is the only issue of relevance. The province needs to either pay up, or give the city the permission to raise money as it sees fit.

The mayor would have a more credible case if he had actually used all the available revenue tools. He cries poor while making his annual politically-driven point of keeping property taxes below inflation. At the same time, when it comes to multi-billion projects like the SSE and Gardiner Expressway, he chose to go ahead with the most expensive option based on anecdotal evidence and political reasons, against opposition from city staff. Toronto was never forced to go ahead with these projects at horrific expense, it chose to all on its own. Overall the message this sends to Queens Park is that Toronto, despite claims to the contrary, has enough money to fund the mayor’s priorities.

Yet he was willing to bring tolls. I'm not defending his track record, but the province lost the high ground by flip flopping on tolls

Yet he was willing to bring tolls. I'm not defending his track record, but the province lost the high ground by flip flopping on tolls

I agree, plus they also rejected twice the revenue tools recommended by the panel of experts that the premier convened herself. Meanwhile they already implemented their own tolls in the form of HOT lanes. I believe the word for that is called hypocrisy. Because the same BS excuses they used against Toronto would also apply to their HOT scheme.

Queen's Park's 180 on tolls was indeed outrageous, and Tory was right to advocate for them. On the other hand, Tory's feigned concern for public housing and poverty rings hollow. At the end of the day, the Scarborough subway, the hybrid Gardiner and keeping taxes low are more important. As Matlow said, City Council has a serious priorities problem. So I say pox on both their houses.

Queen's Park's 180 on tolls was indeed outrageous, and Tory was right to advocate for them. On the other hand, Tory's feigned concern for public housing and poverty rings hollow. At the end of the day, the Scarborough subway, the hybrid Gardiner and keeping taxes low are more important. As Matlow said, City Council has a serious priorities problem. So I say pox on both their houses.

Pretty much. Even the tolls they proposed was insufficient IMHO and would've taken time to actually implement.

Imo Tory should continue the fight and frankly beat the liberals to oblivion if the liberals somehow win in 2018 by running for provincial level.

If the election was Wynne vs Tory right now for 2018, Tory would win in a landslide.

Personally, I'll always side with the mayor. Regardless of who it is. Very rare that a mayor isn't thinking of the city first. And whatever Tory or Ford or Miller's missteps, they were only ever pushing other governments so they could do better for Toronto.

To me it's sad to see people line up behind Wynne because they disagree with Tory's politics.

Back