Which area code do you have?

Votes: 45 63.4%

Votes: 14 19.7%

Votes: 4 5.6%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • other

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
It's a bit shameful, but I have a 905 for home (through Vonage) and a 289 for cell. I found keeping Oakville area codes when I moved to Toronto worthwhile, as it makes calling both Toronto (where I live) and Burlington (where I work) local.

It's a bit shameful, but I have a 905 for home (through Vonage) and a 289 for cell. I found keeping Oakville area codes when I moved to Toronto worthwhile, as it makes calling both Toronto (where I live) and Burlington (where I work) local.

But if you have vonage it doesn't matter anyway. Vonage rocks!

home is 416 - but cell is 519 ... never bothered to change it.

I am guessing you are in that boat, like me, because you moved and wanted to preserve your 519 number. I got around that by porting my new home number to a cellphone and then porting the old cell number to Vonage.

I have the same 416 number from 1998 when we bought our house in Cabbagetown. When I moved to Fredericton from 2004 to 2007 we moved the number to a virtual business line, and then moved it back to residential when we returned to Cabbagetown.

In the United States, where there isn't a Rogers/Bell duopoly that's out to gouge you, most cell phone plans don't charge long distance fees if you call within the country. As a result, most people keep their cell phone numbers even if they move around. I don't think you could even do a poll like this in the States - there would just be too many area codes!

I object to this poll limiting your choice to one area code. But since my cell is what I use most, I'd have to vote 416, followed by 905 for my home, and 617 for the number I had in Boston for the last week.

I am in Niagara Falls so I clicked 905 in the poll, completely forgetting that I am actually 289. I thought 289 was for people like me who get their phone sevice from their ISP and didnt expect to see it on the list. What geographic region is covered by 289 anyway?

Back