Hamilton Westgate on Main | ?m | 8s | Matrix Development Group | HB Design

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
A proposed 7-storey low-rise condominium building located in the center of Downtown Hamilton.

"The project is surrounded by all that the city’s downtown core has to offer, and a great majority of the city’s prominent destinations are easily accessible from the project site (which sits at 415 Main St West)."

Some Renderings of Westgate on Main:

WestgateCondos.jpg

Westgate-Condos-Hamilton-rendering6-v14-full-1-1.jpeg

Westgate-on-Main-Condos-Lounge-Space-2-v14-full-1-1.jpeg

Westgate-on-Main-Condos-Party-Room-with-Media-Space-3-v14-full-1-1.jpeg

Westgate-on-Main-Condos-Suite-Interior-4-v14-full-1-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at all that luscious spandrel. I feel like Hamilton developers just source their materials from the same pool, because literally 80% of new builds there use this same dull grey brick precast, and grey glass.

Back to this proposal, the fact they are proposing residential unit space on the ground floor and absolutely 0 retail on a highway-esque arterial road (albeit with decent pedestrian flow) is the biggest joke i've seen in a long time.

Look at all that luscious spandrel. I feel like Hamilton developers just source their materials from the same pool, because literally 80% of new builds there use this same dull grey brick precast, and grey glass.

Back to this proposal, the fact they are proposing residential unit space on the ground floor and absolutely 0 retail on a highway-esque arterial road (albeit with decent pedestrian flow) is the biggest joke i've seen in a long time.
Can't speak to the glazing, but for the precast, it basically is a single supplier - Stubbes Precast - who've pretty much cornered the market here in Hamilton, unfortunately. They've also found great commercial success with their 'total precast' solutions, which has conversely resulted in a depressing number of buildings going up with no architectural value whatsoever...

(Side note - when did Hamilton projects start to get posted in the main forum again?)

Can't speak to the glazing, but for the precast, it basically is a single supplier - Stubbes Precast - who've pretty much cornered the market here in Hamilton, unfortunately. They've also found great commercial success with their 'total precast' solutions, which has conversely resulted in a depressing number of buildings going up with no architectural value whatsoever...
Well this is a real sad confirmation to hear regarding the state of affairs in Hamilton. I had a feeling something was up (especially with what we see with Vranich and his uninspiring builds). It's unfortunate that most developers in that city could care less as to the quality of what they put up, they just want to make the quick buck and move on.

Not a bad development, but is on a strip of Main Street that feels more like a highway. It's not surprising to see no retail at the base because there isn't much pedestrian activity.

Back