Toronto West Don Lands: Blocks 17 & 26 | 141m | 43s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

I was about to come here and post the same story.

The proposal in the news item consists of 2 towers. We know the site was zoned for 3, and we know from public information that the smallest tower was intended to be affordable housing.

Allotment for a public park and some affordable housing could make the distinction between sizes.

edit: Also, since it proposed to be entirely rental, they may be able to get started without even proposing the architecture to a public forum. It’s possible we won’t know what it looks like until it’s done.

Last edited:
By the looks of it they are only discussing the two market rate towers in the news release, provided this is indeed the site. the MZO allows for three towers - perhaps the third tower will be the affordable one?

Of course, I am just being utterly sarcastic about how the province is selling it as if the entire block is about affordable housing.

AoD

Who was the developer before?
I cant disclose that, and the deal hasn't been finalized yet, but it was not Tricon. Mind you, this deal with Tricon hasn't closed yet either... so could potentially be a change since the last info I received.

edit: Also, since it proposed to be entirely rental, they may be able to get started without even proposing the architecture to a public forum. It’s possible we won’t know what it looks like until it’s done.
The tenure of a development‚ rental or condo—is not the determining factor regarding whether the design will be scrutinized by the public or not. While high quality renderings are not always created for rentals as developers do not have to sell something to purchasers, renderings of some sort are likely, along with various diagrams to obtain Site Plan Approval, even if an MZO gets around Zoning issues. There's going to be enough public pressure here that an unknown quantity won't be snuck through: we'll see something. Here's hoping that—if this is Tricon, we still don't know that for sure—that they'll come with something of the quality of The Selby or better.

Just throwing it out there, but there's probably a few more "Downtown East", "subway 'adjacent'" sites that this CPPIB/Tricon JV could be that AREN'T the Foundry:

Top of mind:
- Staples/Porsche site (directly adjacent to OL Corktown station...)
- Volvo Site (eastern/Trinity) since they're moving onto Bayview
- Roche Bobois +parking lot site?
- Queen and Sherbourne (adjacent to Moss Park station)?
- Parliament and Shuter (but probably too big, and too far from OL)

Nonetheless, mods I think we need a new thread for all the speculation...

The WDL seems a prime candidate.

I'm wondering if it's not block 9:

1616530125994.png

1616530177388.png

The only knock on that as a site is that it's still 700M from the proposed O/L station.

Back