2.5K     4 

We're Number One! Toronto is most livable city in world: report

Irishmonk

Member Bio
Reaction score
By KEVIN CONNOR, TORONTO SUN
Tuesday, October 5, 2010

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/10/04/15578541.html

Toronto now holds the title as the most livable city in the world.

“There are a lot of good things going on,†said Rahul Bhardwaj, with the Toronto Community Foundation which released the Toronto Vital Signs 2010 report.

PricewaterhouseCoopers says Toronto is number one when it comes to livability and the Mercer Quality of Living Survey ranked Toronto as 16 in 2009 among 221 global cities.

<SNIP>

Toronto attracted 22 million visitors in 2009 from over 200 countries contributing $4 billion in spending and creating 65,000 jobs.

The distance of bike lanes and routes grew to 418 km in 2009 from 166 km in 2001, and the city is planning to increase that with a commitment of $100,000 over the next decade.

“Toronto has always been a good city to live in,†Bhardwaj said.

This news may come as quite a bit of a shock for Rob Ford and his supporters. Good thing it was published in the Toronto Sun.

Last edited:
If you use bike lane as the standard, then cities in China and India probably are leading the pack. Every street there is a bike lane. :)

Are you aware that this study, like those always trumpeted, are for the GTA. If one was to isolate Toronto, the outcome is usually very poor.

Are you aware that this study, like those always trumpeted, are for the GTA. If one was to isolate Toronto, the outcome is usually very poor.

I see. So it's the natural beauty of Pickering and the cultural dynamism of Halton Hills that really draws people across the globe to the region. :rolleyes:

Why are you such a Debbie Downer friend? TO is TOPS! Let's celebrate!:D

These city rankings are always trash, whether they say we're the best or the worst. How can you objectively measure a city's performance? What sort of indicators/metrics are they using and how much of it is actually representative of how the city functions? Are any of these pollsters willing to admit bias in choosing the indicators that they do?

I don't know why people keep publishing rankings of any sort, whether it's for cities, universities, high schools, companies to work for, etc.

I'm just shocked the Sun published a story about Toronto that's positive. It's not important if the city came in 1st or 25th but isn't this supposed to be a titanic cesspool of decay? I'm going to contact PricewaterhouseCoopers and politely notify them of their error.

These masturbatory stories have no basis in reality. What makes Toronto more liveable than any other city in the world? Liveability is a stupid criteria and cannot be measured objectively. Why is one city more liveable than another?
I'm sure that Toronto is a great place to live, but it's not better nor worse than Vancouver, or Montreal or London or Paris or Sydney or San Fran, or Boston, etc..

Each city is unique in my opinion and has it's good points and bad. I'd much prefer these kinds of articles if they talked about what makes Toronto unique and interesting city rather than claiming we're #1. It makes me cringe each time I hear we're #1 or World Class. bleh.

We're a good city and we have a long way to go to become a great city, but we're on our way to building and improving the city, and that's part of the excitement and dynamism that is Toronto.

^^^ beautifully stated!

yes, and these studies seem to be popping up on a monthly basis now so why should anyone get all hot and bothered about yet another cheap headline?

Last edited:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-business-life-and-innovation/238436/#slide25

The 2011 version has Toronto at number 2, after NYC and before San Francisco. Feels about right. ;-)

"2 :: Toronto
Best : #1 in quality of living, clean air, business trip index, skyscraper construction, and sports and leisure, #2 in entrepreneurial environment
Worst : Third last in cost of public transportation

Details: Toronto is a "beta" city, the authors say, because it's not considered a part of the conversation with London, Paris, and New York for greatest city in the world. But it has all the building blocks of a superlative international city, beginning with smart ideas about sustainability and innovation."

Sustainability and innovation? They obviously haven't read through the transit threads on UT.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-business-life-and-innovation/238436/#slide25

The 2011 version has Toronto at number 2, after NYC and before San Francisco. Feels about right. ;-)

"2 :: Toronto
Best : #1 in quality of living, clean air, business trip index, skyscraper construction, and sports and leisure, #2 in entrepreneurial environment
Worst : Third last in cost of public transportation

Details: Toronto is a "beta" city, the authors say, because it's not considered a part of the conversation with London, Paris, and New York for greatest city in the world. But it has all the building blocks of a superlative international city, beginning with smart ideas about sustainability and innovation."

... and we Torontonians won't sit idly on our hands as Mayor Ford chops away at those building blocks, or as he takes aim at ideas of sustainability and innovation.

Barely a mention of this in the media, yet when the next issue of "Money $ense Magazine" says Brandon Manitoba is a better place to live than Toronto, The Star will run a front page feature about it.

Back