Mississauga 42 Port Street East | 40.7m | 11s | FRAM Building Group | B+H

jeicow

Member Bio
Reaction score
An application has finally been submitted for the No Frill's Store/Parking lot that FutureMayor had mentioned previously in earlier threads. No renderings as of yet. It looks pretty decent, though a few extra floors would never have hurt. I'm just hoping the grocery store sticks around since the other two nearby stores are either far away (Loblaws), or semi-expensive (Food Planet) EDIT: I meant Planet Organic.

Following photos from Jasonzed at SSC.
HPIM1185.jpg

HPIM1187.jpg

HPIM1189.jpg

Site image (via Google Earth). The lot on the SE corner of the block has a 5/6 floor condo that opened last year.
NoFrills.jpg

Does this mean No Frill's is history in this area?

If so, need the car to get your grocery.

I shop there from time to time and see a fair number of people using transit to shop there for the 19, 8 and 23 as the bus stop is in front of the store. With the new condo's going up on Hurontario as well for this site, need a store to serve the neighborhood.

Otherwise, Live, Work, Shop in the same neighborhood is only a pipe dream.

Riders using 19 and 8 will be force to spend up to an extra 30 minutes in travel time to shop at Loblaws to the west and Dominion to the east that is higher in price.

Hard to say if that 2 story step out could be for NO Frills from the plan.

Someone involved has to realize the foolishness in eliminating the only popular affordable grocery store in the area. Then again, one can never rule out shortsightedness when it comes to developing and urban planning in this region.

Well there definitely needs to be a cheaper grocery store chain in this area, however I understand that the No Frills store does cheapen the area's look a bit. If they renovated or just changed the appearance of the front of the store a bit, it would really help a lot.
I too am curious if this means the store is going to be gone or what?

One would assume the logical decision would be to put a grocery store in the new building's base. Win win, except for the approximately two year period of construction.

Except that it would not be No Frills. I'm sure they wouldn't be able to afford the rent, so it would have to be a more upscale grocer.

Where, presently, is the nearest other No Frills location to here? (Must be something besides Dixie Mall...)

Where, presently, is the nearest other No Frills location to here? (Must be something besides Dixie Mall...)

Tomken and Rathburn afaik, though there's a Food Basics and a Price Chopper at King and Hurontario.

The only other grocery store close to Port Credit I can think of is Cousins on Hurontario just north of Lakeshore, but I'm not sure how upscale it is.

Tomken and Rathburn afaik, though there's a Food Basics and a Price Chopper at King and Hurontario.

The only other grocery store close to Port Credit I can think of is Cousins on Hurontario just north of Lakeshore, but I'm not sure how upscale it is.

Cousins was recently (within the last few years) rennovated and is now a bit upscale. It's a nice store, but definitely in the Loblaws/Fortinos/Sobeys/Dominion price range.

Hopefully No Frills will stick around.

I never understood paying more for the same product at Dominion or Loblaws.

I want a full-out class war between South of Lakeshore and North of Lakeshore over the gentrification of the No Frills land.

That's my biggest problem with many of these otherwise urban areas - the lack of decent grocery stores, and this is one of the biggest issues with creating supposedly urban, transit and pedestrian friendly districts in suburban areas.

I might expect the existing No Frills to move to the current Loblaws in that car-oriented plaza to the west, and Loblaws move into the new store. Until then, it's Cousins or Rabba!

Another view of the site:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=28327387&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

It looks like they could do a lot with that parking lot with the No Frills still in place. Does Mississauga cut down on parking requirements in more pedestrian zones like Port Credit?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. I just looked at the site rendering again and I highly doubt they would put a No Frills in a brand new building in a beautiful, posh village like that. It's probably Loblaws management saying "we've got all these yuppies shopping at No Frills, when we could shut it down, sell the property, get rich, and have them shop at Loblaws anyway because we're the only ones around! MUAHAHAHAAHH". Even though I'm pretty sure No Frills are owned by the franchisee. aaaanyway . . . off to bed for meee. . .

With all the Loblaws being converted in No Frills, I wouldn't be surprised if Loblaws vacates the property down the street and No Frills moves in.

Or, for that matter, a new No Frills created out of one of the brownfields/vacated-big-box spaces along the Lakeshore...

Back