Toronto Wabash Community Centre | ?m | 4s | City of Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

New is bulky and completely oppresses the heritage.
I'm not sure that angle s doing it justice though. As that top bit should only be covering only a quarter of the original building according to the schematic above that. So it's least less oppressive than we're perceiving it to be...

...the overall design though is still way over imposing. So I agree, as it takes away from the original heritage structure (and former guerrilla party spot) regardless how much it's covering it.

Last edited:
Wabash Community Recreation Centre - Phase 4 Public Meeting

Time: Nov 3, 2021 06:30 PM

Join us at the virtual public meeting on November 3, 2021 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. to learn more about the proposed concept design for the park improvements.

not only that , it overwhelms the park. At some point a swimming pool was added to the scope of the project greatly increasing the size of the building.

I remember (I'm dating myself here) when the City cooperated w/the School Board to put a pool in the nearby school on Lansdowne.

I'm assuming they intend to close that one......(I don't know); and presumably don't plan to put a pool in the Parkdale Community Hub project, as that would seem to be awfully close.

I tend to think a new pool should be sited at the Hub, as that would serve the wider community better.

I remember (I'm dating myself here) when the City cooperated w/the School Board to put a pool in the nearby school on Lansdowne.

I'm assuming they intend to close that one......(I don't know); and presumably don't plan to put a pool in the Parkdale Community Hub project, as that would seem to be awfully close.

I tend to think a new pool should be sited at the Hub, as that would serve the wider community better.
Theres a pool at Parkdale PS, Bellwoods, Fern PS, Keele PS and Wallace Emerson is getting a new aquatic centre, I dunno if this site really needs a pool. The Hub site is probably not big enough for a pool.

Theres a pool at Parkdale PS, Bellwoods, Fern PS, Keele PS and Wallace Emerson is getting a new aquatic centre, I dunno if this site really needs a pool. The Hub site is probably not big enough for a pool.
Not to mention Mary McCormick community centre just to the east on Sheridan south of Dundas, which also has a large pool.

Last edited:
FDSd0DEX0AYhD-V.jpg

As someone who lives nearby and uses this park often, this is really exciting to see this finally come to fruition! I don't find it overwhelming as there is a HUGE field. Dog park users will be miffed when they realize they're losing some space but they'll get over it.

The swimming facilities seem surprisingly small for a new build. Also curious that they don't follow the City's pattern of trying to make new pools indoor/outdoor, as in Regent Park where full-sized, floor-to-ceiling windows can be opened to the outside in nice weather.

Second floor is definitely an issue, should really be situated mostly over the new-build portions of the complex, at the very least it should be setback from the exterior walls of the heritage structure.

Survey filled out.

My submission:

Second floor should be setback from the heritage and/or over the new build portion only, let the heritage shine.
Pool should be deeper than the proposed 7ft so as to permit diving
Consider making pool accessible to outdoors as per my post above.

Back