Toronto Volta Lofts | ?m | 5s | Terra Firma Homes

2 August 2012: Love this area, could really live around here in an old house or retail unit.

Sssh! Don't tell everyone. They will all want to live on Annette St.!
It is a fabulous street though. Several lovely new businesses have moved onto this street in the last few weeks, including a new coffee/cheese/ ice cream/'organic food on Wednesdays' place - Creme Fraiche, a new hardware store Baby Point hardware, Butchers by Nature are up and running after their unfortunate fire, a new Home Furnishing place A Changing Nest and landscape garden design place called Designs by the Yard etc. It has to be one of the more attractive streets to walk a dog on in the city.

20120802163949.jpg

Just realized there was a thread for this building. I work in the church in the picture so I can do my part and take some pictures.

+1. This is a great area of town...and this project will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

p.s. that's Beth Edney's little garden shop and studio Designs by the Yard at the corner (immediately to the right of Volta). She's a landscape designer who also does the Lowe's Christmas Market displays and the big tree at the Distillery District for the last few years.

I have been working at The Sharing Place food bank located in the church directly west of this site since last May. Depressed how slowly this thing is going. There is nothing to even take a picture of. Sad.

Annette is going through a mini-renaissance. Good Neighbour, Pie Shack, Creme Fraiche, Queen Margherita, Sagra, Marky Sparky....

Annette is truly the gem of the West End. One of my favourite streets for a pleasant stroll or bike ride.

Last edited:
I didn't expect to see the commercial growth of Annette, which was always a more institutional and residential street. Now it has some fantastic food and coffee joints. Lined with heritage houses, old schools, an impressive variety of churches seemingly on every corner, the Annette Street Library (a Carnegie library), adjacent Masonic Temple and now great businesses, it's definitely a cool street that compliments Dundas West nicely in the Junction.

Which part of Annette is interesting to walk on ? I'd like to chcek it out.

taal:

I'd take it from Jane St in the west, and then walk east to around Clendenan Ave...or vice versa. It's a nice walk with some cool shops (and places to grab a snack) along the way :D

23 May 2014 update: Yikes it's been 9 months since I last snapped/walked by the building! Big difference:
e6enNKL.jpg

One of the retail units has been leased and is getting some interior mods done.
tXUFVhr.jpg

It's a plain, modest sort of building but in some ways better than stuff like TACT's Q Lofts or Sync Lofts. The rear is least successful--it needs that 45 degree angular plain that Toronto's planners are so keen on these days.
5TfpWXj.jpg

It sits awkwardly on the site--the datum lines don't match the neighbours, the shade of red brick is slightly "mcmansion" overbearing, the windows and balcony glazing seem cheap and the "stone" is blah.
Cz1QuXz.jpg

But it's still the area's best-looking built condo project to date.

Back