Vaughan Mobilio | 64.7m | 18s | Menkes | Turner Fleischer

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
This project appeared before the Vaughan Design Review Panel on January 25, 2018: Link
Not sure where exactly this site is in VMC, but considering QuadReal owns "The Interchange" plaza my best guess is South-West corner of Hwy7 and Interchange Way, across from Icona Condos.

This was in NRU a few weeks ago:

quadreal.JPG

The proposal incorporates 24 townhouse blocks and two 15-storey buildings.

Densities pretty much line up with what is permitted in the VMC secondary plan.

Attachments

• quadreal.JPG
    quadreal.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 4,226
Parts of that parcel are potentially closer in terms of walking distance to Highway 407 station than to VMC station. What is needed are stairs up to the sidewalk at Jane Street's Exchange Avenue overpass.

Such an awkward location for a townhouse community, right smack in the middle of an industrial zone.
Speaking of which, anyone heard any recent news on the future of Toromont?

Toromount has a new site starting construction soon up in Bradford in their highway 400 industrial lands, where they are building the new 5th line interchange. They should move in the next few years and offer up their current site for sale. At that point there should be a new public road through their site allowing much quicker walking times to the subway from this site.

It's an awkard site today, but most of VMC is today. All the industrial around it has high density mixed use land use designations, it'll redevelop in time. Especially given the high development pressure on VMC right now.

Toromont has no plans to move any time soon and have not broken land to replace the current facility. They own land at the 400& King as well as 427 and 7. Those would be the places they would move to given proximity to their current location. Only at that time would their location go up for sale.

what do you think they are planning for their Bradford location then? I always presumed it would replace this facility. Construction on services for the lands is starting this year, I believe.

PlanIt docs are up.

The development proposal for the subject site includes two 15-storey residential high-rise buildings fronting onto Interchange Way with 169.1 m2 of at-grade retail on the northeastern corner; one 9-storey mid-rise flanking the northeastern edge of the subject site along the proposed Millway Avenue extension (i.e. Street B); and 22 townhouse blocks consisting of stacked, backto-back, and traditional townhouse units on the remainder of the subject site. There is also a considerable amount of private and public open space being proposed throughout this development block, including two significant mid-block connections in the form of a north-south pedestrian spine as well as an east-west 15.0m wide pedestrian mews. In addition, a linear park is proposed east of the development block to improve broader neighbourhood connectivity from the southern portions of the VMC to the larger urban park system and transit facilities to the north.

upload_2018-9-6_11-10-10.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-10-33.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-10-52.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-11-10.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-11-23.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-11-43.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-12-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_11-10-10.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-10-10.png
    721.1 KB · Views: 3,045
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-10-33.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-10-33.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 3,015
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-10-52.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-10-52.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 2,921
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-11-10.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-11-10.png
    699.5 KB · Views: 2,933
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-11-23.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-11-23.png
    694.2 KB · Views: 2,876
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-11-43.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-11-43.png
    850 KB · Views: 3,078
  • upload_2018-9-6_11-12-2.png
    upload_2018-9-6_11-12-2.png
    842.8 KB · Views: 2,983
Copy and pasted from anywhere along the fringes of the GTA. I was amazed on a recent roadtrip how many stacked townhomes, midrises are being built on the north end of Durham and Halton urban areas. They save on land but they have the same walled, discounted, single use planning of the low density subdivisions of the past. Is it really any better?

Copy and pasted from anywhere along the fringes of the GTA. I was amazed on a recent roadtrip how many stacked townhomes, midrises are being built on the north end of Durham and Halton urban areas. They save on land but they have the same walled, discounted, single use planning of the low density subdivisions of the past. Is it really any better?

I would say it's marginally better?

They partially make up for it by having the 2 15-story towers.

But the way this area is going I'm surprised they aren't lobbying to allow for the towers to be higher.

I don't think that the problem has to do with the built form, but rather the enclosed, semi-private nature of the subdivision (note that in this proposal, there seems to be exactly three ways into the block). This promotes the arterialization of the public roads, and the internalization of any sort of streetlife that could have happened otherwise (people only walk to their cars).

I don't think that the problem has to do with the built form, but rather the enclosed, semi-private nature of the subdivision (note that in this proposal, there seems to be exactly three ways into the block). This promotes the arterialization of the public roads, and the internalization of any sort of streetlife that could have happened otherwise (people only walk to their cars).

Our posts are in complete agreement.

I would say it's marginally better?

They partially make up for it by having the 2 15-story towers.

But the way this area is going I'm surprised they aren't lobbying to allow for the towers to be higher.

There being towers or the desire for more towers doesn't impact the fundamental difference between these new communities and the older communities in inner city Toronto. My neighbourhood has half the densities of these post greenbelt communities. It manages a vibrant main street made of an eclectic mix of chains, service, independent and artisan shops. It's all perfectly scaled to the communities needs. The same could be said about these new communities as well. However, the scale has been blown past being walkable to over sized with big, contained development blocks supported by big box with regional catchments.

Back