436     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 

Virgin America coming to Toronto

GregWTravels

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Virgin America press release:

Virgin America will file an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) seeking authority to fly from the United States to Canada. If approved, this would become the airline’s first international destination. As set forth in the application, Virgin America, subject to receipt of all operating authority, plans to begin service as early as June 2010 on the following routes:

* LAX-YYZ: one nonstop daily flight and one daily through flight.
* SFO-YYZ: one nonstop daily flight and one daily through flight.

Assuming approval goes through, expect some fare sales to the west coast this summer as American, United and Air Canada crank up their competitiveness.

The price to fly to American destinations from Canada is exorbitant, even though competition is healthy. For example, you can fly with any major American carrier (except the discount airlines) and connect through any of their hubs, which means that you can fly to LAX and SFO using 6 different carriers. This hasn't stopped US flights from being about 40% higher than they would be if you flew through Buffalo.

Flying to the US is expensive because of the taxes and fees tacked onto a ticket and the hidden fees passed on through high airport rents. This is why flying from American border airports will always be more competitive than flying from Canada regardless of which or how many airlines are involved.

Really, though, is it "cheaper"......assuming you live in the GTA there is the longer drive to get to Buffalo (gas and time have a cost)......then how long at the border...it is unpredictable but, again, time has a cost/value.....then there is the convenience.

I know that the price difference has never tempted me to drive to Buffalo to avoid flying from, either, YYZ or YTZ

YYZ isn't very convenient...it took me 2.5 hours to get from check-in to my gate when I flew in early February. In Buffalo, I could do it in under 30 minutes usually.

YYZ isn't very convenient...it took me 2.5 hours to get from check-in to my gate when I flew in early February. In Buffalo, I could do it in under 30 minutes usually.

Fine....it has never taken me more than 1 hour at YYZ but no matter what the time difference is it can get eaten up if you get caught in one of those bad times at the border and you add in the extra travel time to the airport.......it just seems (to me...and I recognize that everyone's situation is different) a lot of trouble to save not much money.

It's more of a regional thing. If you live in the Niagara peninsula it makes more sense to use Buffalo and if you live west of London it makes more sense to use Detroit.

Also, students or other people who have more time but less money can probably take advantage of the Megabus to Buffalo airport. Flying to New York on Jet Blue from BUF is often about half the price of flying AC from YYZ.

I have flown out of Buffalo a few times, not just to save a few bucks but to get direct flights and better flight times, For me it was well worth the drive to get an direct flight. Now that Skyservice is dead along with Zoom, Jetsgo, CanJet, Conquest. Our flight options are even more limited, I think more people will consider flying out of Buffalo.

I'll be happier when Virgin decides to enter the YYZ--London route. Zoom's demise is really starting to show itself in AC's prices to the UK. It's reaching the point where flying out of Buffalo to one of Delta's hubs then on to Europe is a better deal. I can fly to Dublin and then have access to everywhere Ryanair flies for a bit more than $600 out of Buffalo. The best deal out of YYZ is Continental at $750. Even to LHR, which is probably AC's busiest overseas route, AC is almost $900. It's reached a point where driving down to Buffalo makes a lot of sense. And let's face it, if you're going overseas, there's no real difference between 10 hours between home and hotel or 12 hours. I'd rather make a connecting flight and save a few hundred bucks really.

Indeed. Prices from Toronto to even the busiest European hubs are astonishing, typically with Air Canada and the local flag carrier coming in at almost exactly the same outrageous total. It's telling that Air Canada advertises flights to New York via YYZ in the UK and France that are actually cheaper than simply going to Toronto.

Virgin America is not Virgin Atlantic, unfortunately. The Virgin American brand has nothing to do with the trans-Atlantic flights. Unfortunately, no benefits for those hoping to head to Europe from Virgin American coming into Toronto.

Virgin Airlines

I would pay extra bucks to fly on Virgin America brcause they offer better customer service on their airplane and better seats than other airlines.

In an age of Virgin Mobile, there's something so 80s/90s about the "eventfulness" of any Virgin airline service coming to town

I would pay extra bucks to fly on Virgin America brcause they offer better customer service on their airplane and better seats than other airlines.

That may be true for you but I don't think there are enough "yous". Canadians (this may be true elsewhere but my observations are all here) typically shop by fare first then, if two fares are equal, they will compare conveniences/comforts.

Airlines that strive for that premium quality/service at a premium price (roots as an example) are short lived....and anyone who can offer a cheaper fair despite using old planes and having spotty service (jetsgo) tend to sell seats (even if those cheap fares eventually put them out of business).

It is probably why Air Canada eventually gave in to the WestJet model of al a carte airline. Having free meals wasn't winning them more customers at their higher prices so they cut the meals (and blankets, etc) to be able to match the fares....the marketplace drove them there...if they could generate higher margins by offering some additional amenities/comforts...they would.

Back