Vaughan Edgeley Pond and Park | ?m | ?s | City of Vaughan

This is going to be great once its built. It was hard to imagine Vaughan Centre turning into much 5 years ago - but every day it gets easier and easier to see how it will be something.

The walk from Expo City to the subway could turn from a hellish walk along Highway 7 today, to a pleasant one on bridges through a marshland and a short walk across Jane to get to the subway.

Looking forward for the subway extension to open so I can go up here and check it out.

Concept design from link. Looks good.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 908
Nothing screams "downtown" like a stormwater pond!

Why the heck would they put a SWM pond right on the corner of Jane and 7 with "understory planting" around the trees? The main pond is nice but come on. Leave the corner itself like an urban square. No wonder these suburban downtowns seem so fake.

Why the heck would they put a SWM pond right on the corner of Jane and 7 with "understory planting" around the trees? The main pond is nice but come on. Leave the corner itself like an urban square. No wonder these suburban downtowns seem so fake.

It's not really a stormwater pond and isn't a new addition either. This is an existing wetland with a flowing river and two ponds that acts as a naturally occurring SWM system. There are some modifications planned, but they appear to be related to increasing flood prevention/protection and water flow while maintaining the natural setting.

Considering how much downtown floods every time there is a flash storm maybe you shouldn't make fun of this.

At least they are trying to make it look nicer then the average storm pond.

I say the "urban node" at the west end of the park needs something monumental like a fountain or a statue to be centered around instead of the trees shown. This plan is probably still relatively broad strokes but I hope that's an option that's being considered.

Considering how much downtown floods every time there is a flash storm maybe you shouldn't make fun of this.

I was referring to the transitional extension to the pond right at the corner of Jane and 7, not the main part of the pond itself.

But as I said, I forgot the creek flows along Jane when I posted, but I think it would still look better if the creek by the corner itself could be covered (not buried) to match the width of the proposed buildings along 7 to create a more urban-looking intersection with a square:
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PMcopy.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PMcopy.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 12.08.32 PMcopy.png
    600.9 KB · Views: 808
If downtown Toronto had stormwater retention ponds, they would be bustling with people skating and playing shinny in the winter.

Actually Toronto does have some type of stormwater management systems in place. The TRCA (Toronto Region Conservation Authority) covers flood plains of the Don and Humber rivers. After Hurricane Hazel it was set up to prevent development along these flood plains to a) prevent damage in the event of another Hazel like event and b) allow for space for stormwater to go to.

There is a very large stormwater retaining tank up near Summerhill station as well, but it is underground. And yes, the ravines act as one gigantic stormwater runoff system. Even with those however old Toronto has very poor stormwater management systems, the water level is extremely high and basements flood easily in many parts of the city.

Back