2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 558     0 

UTM students can't opt out of transit pass

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

Students can't opt out of transit pass
Mississauga U of T student union signs deal to combine bus fees with yearly tuition costs

NICK PATCH

For Robin Prashad, a fourth-year University of Toronto at Mississauga student working two jobs, time and money are scarce.

Mr. Prashad says his student government's decision to roll the cost of a monthly transit pass into tuition fees could cost him both.

Beginning this fall, students at U of T's Mississauga campus will pay roughly $89 for an eight-month pass with Mississauga Transit after the University of Toronto Students' Union agreed to the deal last week. Schools in Toronto may soon follow suit with a similar plan, Toronto Transit Commission officials say.

Even with a transit pass, Mr. Prashad will drive to school when he returns for his fifth year of commerce next fall. He says students should have the right to opt out of the plan and get a refund.

"So many students have to pay a fee they're never going to benefit from," Mr. Prashad said.

Mr. Prashad already pays $607 for a parking pass. He says it would take him around an hour to take the two buses necessary to get from his house in Mississauga to campus, while his drive is roughly 20 minutes.

But an opt-out clause would have killed any deal with Mississauga Transit, said Adam Peet of the University of Toronto at Mississauga Students' Union.

The issue was decided in a referendum, held from Jan. 30 to Feb. 1, and 83 per cent of the 2077 students who voted (22 per cent of the eligible student body) were in favour of the plan, Mr. Peet said.

And while he acknowledged that roughly 35 per cent of the university's student population drive to school, Mr. Peet said those students will also benefit from the plan. He pointed to decreased congestion on campus and environmental benefits, and said he believes all students will use transit more than they do now.

TTC vice-chairman Joe Mihevc said that a similar program for Toronto's college and university students would also yield benefits beyond cheaper fares. Providing students with TTC passes would promote the culture of public transit, encourage students to explore Toronto and lessen the number of cars navigating busy downtown streets, he said. "It's a passport to the city."

That program, however, would be far more expensive.

Mr. Mihevc said the TTC would set its price by determining student ridership revenues over the eight-month period and dividing that figure by the total number of Toronto students. It would likely work out to about $500 a year in extra tuition, roughly a $25-a-month saving for students who currently buy metro passes at a discounted student rate.

The TTC has been in talks with various student unions for years, but due to the potentially steep price of the pass and rotating memberships of councils, negotiations have been slow. Still, Mr. Mihevc hopes to have one or two schools onboard for next fall.

He said the biggest obstacle is the lack of an opt-out clause, which the TTC, like Mississauga Transit, refuses to include. Mr. Mihevc said the TTC needs to know exactly how many people will be part of the program in order to set its price.

He stressed that the perennially cash-strapped TTC is not pushing the plan for financial gain. In fact, he said, the TTC would take a financial hit initially under the program, "but there are other social goals here.

"The long-term benefits are incalculable," he said.

Of course, the anti-transit media would try to put negative spin on this and show the viewpoint of the drivers instead of transit users.

The article is also wrong: post-secondary students cannot pay student fares on the TTC, they have to pay adult fares. Mississauga is only system in the GTA that allows post-secondary students to pay student fares.

So the $500 pass for 8 months on the TTC would actually save post-secondary students close to $40 a month, not $25. It's still pathetic though, compared to MT's $89 pass .

Although there is no student ticket price, U of T students can buy discounted TTC Metropasses for $87/month.

Here at UW we'll be having a referendum in March on whether to adopt a $42/term mandatory bus-pass. It will likely pass, but not with the 80-ish% support seen at UTM. Laurier's students worked out a similar deal a couple of years ago with GRT and it's worked out wonderfully for them. As part of the deal, UW students will see greatly improved service to campus, and an expansion of the express bus service (runs along the North-South axis of KW from Conestoga Mall by UW and WLU, downtown Kitchener, Fairview Mall and then to Cambridge) to evenings and weekends.

It's a huge discount compared to the $140 three-month pass GRT offers to university students presently. Reduced price tickets are available at ~1.50 and cash fare is $2.25.

The Route 7 is already the best bus route outside of the GTA and Ottawa. (The combo 4/13 on Richmond in London is the only competitor). Even more service, plus all day 7 day iXpress would really be something.

Still, GRT needs to work on some of the other routes off the 7 - the 5 in Waterloo is pretty brutal, for example.

York U' student union, I hear, is planning the same thing, but this is a problem since many also come in on GO and YRT.

So the $500 pass for 8 months on the TTC would actually save post-secondary students close to $40 a month, not $25. It's still pathetic though, compared to MT's $89 pass .

As someone else mentioned... It costs $87 for a TTC Metropass from universities in Toronto. Thats $2 cheaper than MT's and the service is much faster than MT's.

Overall savings would be $25 like the article says.

That's $89 for a term. That's a good deal, even though MT does leave a lot to be desired. Maybe, hopefully, that route 24 will run outside of peak periods to match actual student schedules.

I had a class at UTM in my post-grad studies in 2005, ran from 4 to 6. I was still living in Brampton. MT was useless to me because by the time the class finished and got out (more like 6:30), the 24 stopped running, so I paid for parking (which is a rip-off at UTM). And I didn;t have to fight my way on the 19 north either.

Edit - I was confusing the 8 month MT/UTM pass with another (which is per term), just Tuscan taught it was for one month.

It says $89 for an 8 month pass in the article... which is it?

Obviously it is not $89 per month because otherwise it would be $3 more expensive than the regular student pass.

That's $89 for a term. That's a good deal, even though MT does leave a lot to be desired. Maybe, hopefully, that route 24 will run outside of peak periods to match actual student schedules.

The 24 runs until 1pm now, but its still pretty bad, and sometimes very crowded. Hopefully, MT improves it like they did for the 66.

Most UTM students use the 1C though, and that has pretty good service (17-20 minute frequency all day).

As cash strapped as the TTC may be, you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to squeezing out every last penny from the student population. No demographic group faces the same financial burden as university students with their skyrocketing tuition and inability to obtain full time well paid jobs while in school.

I don't think that this will work for U of T or Ryerson, just because most of the student body probabably takes the TTC already. The pricing for deals like this tends to be a trade off between the reduced cost of the pass with the number of new passholders. If the bulk of UTM residents already took transit, MT would be facing a large loss of revenue with this discount pass. If most students drive, MT could conceivably make money by selling passes to students that won't use them.

On a personal note, I'm not a huge fan of this idea for UTM specifically. I'm sure there many students who live outside Mississauga who would face insane commutes if they took local transit. For the downtown Toronto schools I think it's a different matter, but again the passes would have to be very expensive to avoid a big loss for the TTC.

Laurier's students worked out a similar deal a couple of years ago with GRT and it's worked out wonderfully for them.

I attend Laurier, and the bus pass (around $42/term) has been invaluable. I look forward to Waterloo getting it, as it will mean increased service for Laurier as well. As for route 7, I find it to be over crowded frequently, I look forward to the implementation for the LRT.

Back