News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 632     0 

Used Electronics / Hi-Fi Equipment

Ahsun

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, does anybody have any suggestions on finding some older used vintage Hi-Fi equipment? I'm talking about those quintessential messy electronic stores with stereos & TV's from the 70's-00's that you usually see along a semi-rundown commercial block.

There are a couple of stores in the Junction, but I can't think of where else I might find these stores since most areas have gentrified to the point these things are now an endangered species. Not to mention being put out by the chains... :confused:

Check out Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum on Mt Pleasant north of Eglinton. I think they are still open but I haven't been in ages

If you are looking for more vintage hi-fi equipment you should check out "Tok-a-Trade" located at 2 Homewood Ave. I haven't been in the store for a while but they used to have used hi-fi equipment of every description jam-packed to the ceiling.

Most of them all recently closed btw. But there may be one or two left.

Yea I noticed that, any idea why ?

It didn't look like they were getting replaced with other retail.

From the City of Toronto's website at this link:

City's Computers and Electronics Recycling Depots - where do the computers - scanners - printers - keyboards - monitors go - how are they recycled?

The City of Toronto has a service agreement with an approved Ontario Electronic Stewardship (OES) processorto recycle the old computers and electronic waste that we receive at the depots.

The processors dismantle the electronic waste down into their component parts, mainly metal, plastic and glass for recycling.

Computers are not refurbished.

For more information, please visit http://www.toronto.ca/target70/electronics.htm or http://www.ontarioelectronicstewardship.ca/index.html

You might try calling 311 to see if you can catch them before they are recycled.

If you are looking for more vintage hi-fi equipment you should check out "Tok-a-Trade" located at 2 Homewood Ave. I haven't been in the store for a while but they used to have used hi-fi equipment of every description jam-packed to the ceiling.

This looks promising. I also found a small shop in Kensington on Nassau next to the truck rental place. It's ok... just ok..

Might wanna check some flea markets as well..I popped into Downsview Merchants Market yesterday looking for some used video games and saw a couple of small stalls selling used/vintage audio equipment

A couple of better sources for quality vintage audio is Audio Oasis at Queen & Coxwell, and Ring Audio at Carlaw & Lakeshore.

Back