News   Mar 28, 2024
 308     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 696     0 

UrbanToronto Holiday Meet - Let's Go For A Ride!

Love TTC swag. Is it possible to simply edit Ed's post on the main page, with address, date and time (3-5 for instance) and general plan? I think it might be helpful to have that info up front and easily accessible.
Good idea. That post has been edited, and here's that info all over again:

The UT team will aim to be at the stations starting at noon and ending at the Fox and Fiddle near Finch West Station. Here's the plan:

Noon: Downsview Park — just inside the fare paid area at the main entrance
12:30 Finch West — just inside the fare paid area at the main entrance
1:00 York University — just inside the fare paid area at the main entrance
1: 30 Pioneer Village — just inside the fare paid area at the south entrance
2:00 Highway 407 — just inside the fare paid area at the main entrance
2:30 VMC — just inside the fare paid area at the main entrance

From 3 PM until about 5 PM we'll be at the Fox and Fiddle at 1285 Finch just east of Keele (1 block from Finch West station). There will be a little swaggy goodness for some lucky attendees.

Join us anytime along the way to share some holiday cheer with us and other UT members!

UPDATED AGAIN: Rides on the TTC on Sunday are free, courtesy of your tax dollars! The Ontario Government is picking up the tab for the day.

Anyone knows how long it takes to get from Spadina Station to Vaughan Station?
The TTC website doesn't have any information on the extension to Vaughan.

Anyone knows how long it takes to get from Spadina Station to Vaughan Station?
The TTC website doesn't have any information on the extension to Vaughan.
I believe that I read 45 minutes from Union to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, if that helps you at all.

I would like to offer that it was great pleasure to meet several of you including @interchange42 , @innsertnamehere , @ShonTron, @salsa, and @Ryan_T among many others.
It was quite a fun day! Agreed, great to see so many people there, some during the touring, others at the pub. Along with the names listed above, there was also @Edward Skira, @someMidTowner, @Marcanadian, @drum118, @ProjectEnd, @G.L.17, @neuhaus , @sunnyraytoronto, @GeneralGrievance @M II A II R II K, and others whom I know lurk but don't post, or I'm not sure if they post… like Tanzeel, Nick, Michael, Eric, Elisa, the guy that had the ketchup malfunction…

Having Matt come all the way from Montreal was a lot of fun too. It's always fun to talk Métro and REM and Ligne Rose, and it was interesting to hear Matt's take on what's going on in Toronto transit-wise: he was there to remind us that despite our complaining about things (and we emphasized that the 1-stop extension in Scarborough was bald to complain about), nobody is getting more new rapid transit on North America than we are!

I should also say that it was great to run into the TTC's Joanna Kervin who managed much of the work on the line. She led a number of tours for us during construction, and it was great to see her enjoying the fruits of her labour of so many years. It was amazing how many people showed up during the day to check the line out—Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in particular was a total zoo—and I think it was pretty gratifying for Ms. Kervin to see crowds there.

It was also great to see trains running about a minute apart at times. With the ATO in gear, sometimes you would see one train pulling out of a station and the next one rushing—not crawling—in after what seemed like only seconds. Automatic Train Operation for the win! They can't get that working on the full line (and then the Bloor-Danforth please!) fast enough!

Anyway, I assume there were other UTers there, and I expect you all had fun too. It was great to see everyone who identified themselves and hung out with us! (Between @Northern Light's post and mine, I hope no names have been missed.) I suppose we'll see you all again at the opening of the Crosstown?!

Last edited:
Glad you guys all had fun!

We opted for the first train hype in the early morning and to see Tory's and Del Duca's cheesy photo-op. It was too long of a wait between then and the afternoon gathering though.

I'd like to congratulate @TheTigerMaster for being the first person to board both a northbound and southbound train in service. :p

Of course, yes! So many handles and names to try to remember, and I now think I've still missed at least one more!

Anyhow, good to meet you too @WillTo!

Back