News   Apr 19, 2024
 339     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 663     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 736     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: What kind of forum member knows no fear?

A double bill with Stuart Hamilton and his opera quiz?

I'm so looking forward to next season. Mozart performed in a hall that suits it; Susan Bullock - the new Brunnhilde - as 'Elektra' with Ewa Podles; Yannick conducting 'Faust'; the Bored Suburban Housewife fantasy retold as 'Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk' ...

It appears that Brent will be hosting something called Siegfried Idol on September 9th.

Ah. I'll be at the movies that morning as well.

I see that The Met will have their first public open house next month, now that Peter Gelb has taken over. Talks, tours, sitting in on rehearsals ... whatever it takes to broaden the appeal of opera to New Yorkers, and create a new audience.

Sounds just like what we had here in Toronto, a couple of months ago.

Have you read Volpe's book yet? I read the chapter about firing Kathleen Battle at Chapters a while back.

She worked at Chapters? What a falling-off was there ...

( No I haven't read it. But I'll look for it. Thanks. )

If Kathleen Battle was married to Emanuel Ax they'd be the Battle-Axes.

That might be the kindest thing written about her lately...

I saw Kat in concert at the Living Arts Centre way back when that place was fresh and new. Terrific evening. I think it was the hall's inaugural in fact. After the performance I rode in an elevator with Her Worship, the very pleased Ms. Hazel McCallion and asked myself if I should say anything to her, but before the doors opened again all I could muster was "You are much, much shorter than I ever imagined", so I kept my vocal chords stilled.

So that Living Arts performance was back in 1997 - three years after Battle was fired from the Met, something I knew nothing about until, well, now. She may have sung the ingenue roles, but I'm still the ingenue opera fan I suppose.

Very interesting Vanity Fair article from 1994 about Ms. Battle: Surviving the Battle

What has she done more recently?

Her career faltered rapidly after she was shitcanned at the Met. Her voice was declinint, and Volpe freed everyone else to tell her that her antics weren't worth it any more.

Also, it becomes increasingly difficult to play those dewy ingenue roles after you're 45 ... as any middle aged queen knows. Besides, can a gal with a lyric soprano voice plausibly inhabit Diva territory anyway?

My season tickets arrived yesterday.

And I got my Velveteen Babel jacket more or less de-wrinkled at the dry cleaner. What a finicky fabric that is.

Maybe I should get a matching pair of Little Lord Fauntleroy breeches run up. Like Oscar Wilde on his first American tour.

Yes, mine came too - on Wednesday.

Have you seen the Henry Moore loaner yet? He's sitting in the City Room, defending his priority seating with a little shield.

"the Bayreuth Festival Ring"

Has anyone here ever actually attended this? If so, I'd love to hear all about it.

Back