News   Apr 19, 2024
 68     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 454     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 791     3 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: What kind of forum member knows no fear?

That's easy. Movie length. No longer than Superman Returns.

My spy is going to the dress rehearsals. If I glean anything of note - especially about Das Rheingold - I'll sing out.

You do that, Louise.

I was just at the box office.

Season tickets will be mailed next week. I'm in the second row of Ring 4, just where the side aisle begins. I had to change my Cosi ticket for another night - I'll get to try one of those get-outta-my-way-Grandma moveable seats on the arm of Ring 3.

I called this morning about the Friends program, and was told that they haven't done the seat allocations yet. Clearly, you have a better touch with front line employees.

I spoke to a guy at their Front Street office this morning by phone, and he spilled the beans about my seating. Then the girl at the FSCPA box office confirmed it when I went to pay for my upgraded ticket to Cosi.

I give good phone. I'm slightly dotty and wholly plausible in person, if a bit oleagenous. I engaged her in discussions of the celebratory concerts we had both attended. And she was protected by glass.

I see that "luminous soprano" Adrianne Pieczonka, who sang at our Gala in June, got a nice mention in the NY Times recently for her "standout" performance as Sieglinde in the Bayreuth Festival Ring. It runs until the end of the month, after which everyone jets to Toronto for our opening.

That production looked very pretty in the photos in the Times.

The Guardian singles Pieczonka out as the "vocal highlight" of Das Rheingold. But the reviewer savages the staging: Of Siegfried he says "The scene in which Stephen Gould's Siegfried slays Fafner the dragon should be an excuse for theatrical pyrotechnics, but Dorst and Schlossmann can't even rustle up a decent stage effect. All they manage is a desultory fart in the mist." and, " at the moment, this Ring Cycle is better with your eyes shut." The idea of sprinkling the set with gratuitous skateboarders and the like, situating the world of the gods in a parallel universe to our own, didn't get much critical support from reviewers either. Director Dorst, an 80 year old playwrite who'd never directed an opera before, got quite a bit of savaging from quite a few critics. I hope the lumps and bumps in our productions get ironed out before reviewers like this are set loose in Toronto early next month.

The dragon here was all mist, no fart.

Nonsense. The dragon that was just plain folks was a brilliant conceit.

That carriage ride.

You walked me home.

You lost a glove.

I lost a comb.

Ah yes! I remember it well.

I was at the box office again this morning. I was told that one can't see the surtitles from the back two rows of section 1E ( section 1.4 on the Ballet's seating plan ) of the Orchestra level. Prices have been adjusted accordingly.

The Ballet intend to open their box office at the FSCPA in a couple of weeks time.

I hope they rebroadcast it - I'll be at the opera those nights.

I pick up my new white jacket tomorrow. I'll have to get a pair of white suspenders to go with it.

I'll be at the movies those nights.

I wonder where they will be putting Brent Bambury? Will he be holding a circuit party in the lobby?

Back