News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 662     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: What kind of forum member knows no fear?

Gawker had a funny bit on that this afternoon - they reported that he sang that way because they had cut his balls off.

It used to be a perfectly respectable way of getting ahead in life.

I probably don't need to tell you - of all people - but the huge bronze bell now housed in the ROM lounge was made for Wei Bin the chief palace eunuch of China, in 1518. Sadly, the eunuch supremacy fell apart after the emperor died three years later. All good things must pass I suppose.

I did not know that.

On the COC website is a full calendar of events for the Ring cycle weeks.

I'm off "work" the first week. Perhaps, after all, I'll make an effort to go to the Sunday night 7-9pm party in the City Room - with members of the cast present.

I'm glad Susan Bullock is the new Brunnhilde. Her time has come.

I'm off that week too, but for the Film Festival. I'm only taking the Friday of my Ring week off.

I wonder why they did the two 2pm starts? It'll seem particularly strange, emerging blinking into the daylight after the world ends on the Sunday.

Unknown. It makes no sense to me - unless they wanted people to be able to have dinner at least a couple of times that week.

They could've catered the operas and started them all at 7 o'clock. Ice cream sellers, dim sum served on trolleys, Armagnac-drenched ortolan served on fine bone china plates with head-covering towels included, that sort of thing. Up and down the aisles at intermission.

"Ices! Ices!"

"Get your ortolan here!"

"Har gow ... sui mai ... fong jow ..."

The Cries of Auld Toronto!

I suppose you've had your letter from the nice Opera folks apologizing for the foul up with Ring tickets and saying they'll be out shortly?

Yes but, as explained earlier, I found out my seat and row number several weeks ago by calling the box office.

My Ring Tix arrived yesterday. First row. Woo hoo!

Mine too.

They had to completely re-cut my white dinner jacket to give it a shawl collar, but it'll still be summer - so I can wear it to one opera at least.

Summer will be over by the time I see it. It'll be suits for the nighttime ones, and a jacket and tie for the daytime ones.

Das Rheingold: 2 1/2 hours without intermission, our greatest challenge yet.

No drinkies beforehand. I'll have to siphon myself off throughout the day as though I were preparing for a coronation procession and ceremony.

Back