News   Mar 28, 2024
 333     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 701     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: What kind of forum member knows no fear?

Hmm, in the 30 years of being surrounded by Maltese paraphanalia, crosses included, i've never heard that riddle.

Using the Maltese crosses are made out of 18 carrat gold, and are as big and gawdy as possible.

The ones on the Crown Jewels are tastefully done in pave diamonds.

Unknown</title>
<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>The AP and BB Thread</threadtitle>
<threadviews>4581</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<poll><

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>The AP and BB Thread</threadtitle>
<threadviews>4581</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<poll></poll>
<username>building babel</username>
<dateline>1138649220</dateline>
<title>Re: What kind of forum member knows no fear?</title>
<pagetext>The end of the world is nigh - "Gotterdammerung" is upon us!

I'm meeting interchange at intermission. Anyone else going this Thursday?

- Babel.

how was it? i've got my tickets in hand for the 10th, not quite sure what to expect. is it follow-able if you haven't seen the first three parts?

Got duded up. Arrived early at the Hummingbird. Cruised around. Had a drink. interchange42 arrived, we chatted. Ran into a few friends from work. Then, on with the show ...

Early on - a curtain malfunction! The most suspense of the evening. Would it open? Would it close? And would it open again if it closed? The stress of it all. Thank God I'd had a drink.

The sets: Grey, grey, grey - my favourite colour! Some black too. Splashes of red for highlights. Cool and minimalist and modernist props and costuming.

Vocally, everyone was on. Hagen, the Bad Guy, especially, a great voice - deep and evil. Brunnhilde was a bit quiet in the middle range, but it is a huge role to sing. And the COC orchestra were tremendous, dramatic where they had to be, and subtle where they had to be.

Another drink at intermission. On with the show ...

Act Two was the most fun. It really took the piss out of the corporate world - at one point a bunch of hyped up guys in suits jumped up on a huge desk, arming themselves with spears, ripping off their jackets and hollerin' in unison. Then the boss told them to calm down and they did. Happens in board rooms on Bay Street all the time I believe when takeover madness grips the business elite.

Another drink at intermission. On with the show ...

Humour in Act Three with the Rhinemaidens as slutty babes in turquoise wigs teasing the not-too-swift Siegfried. Show us your Ring, big fella.

But the end of the world was a quiet affair. No flames, no walls of water, no earth opening up and swallowing people. So subtle, in fact, you could almost miss it after five and a half hours.

Oh, and I think I had an andreapalladio sighting.

So ezboard does not know the word cannot? Odd.

Loved that Hagen.

And BB in that Royal Purple velvet jacket... cock of the walk, that one!

I reserve my Velveteen Babel costume for special occasions.

And interchange looked smashing in shades of grey!

I just phoned the COC. They've assigned seating for 'The Ring'. I'm in the second row of Ring 3, just off centre, which is delightful news.

I was told that we'll hear later in July where our seats are for the rest of the season.

Also, the box office at the FSCPA is open from Mon-Sat, from 11 to 7. This is in addition to their box office at 227 Front.

According to an item in the Globe today, "The Ring' is now 90% sold out.

And they've recast Brunnhilde for the opening and closing cycles with Susan Bullock. Frances Ginza will now only have the big black tarp whipped off her in the second cycle. Pavlo Hunka is the new Wotan; Peteris Eglitis has just ... wandered off I guess.

Let's hope there will be more chemistry between Siegfried and Brunnhilde this time around.

They circulated an email about the social & educational events they are having during the run of The Ring...

I'll have to get on their email list.

Any swell parties promised?

There seems to be some sort of ticket holders only cocktail party every sunday, and lots of lectures and what not during the days.

Oh. Thanks. I'm so slobby on Sundays - not sure that polite drinkies in my finery is possible! The lectures sound promising.

I'm seeing a working rehearsal of 'Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk' though, as a result of my meagre, scaled back charitable donation.

I wonder what they found when they disinterred Farinelli earlier today?

Eighteenth century Italy was crawling with castrated males apparently. Up to 4,000 boys a year went under the knife in the hope of becoming great opera stars.

Back