News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 401     0 

Urban Planning Summer Jobs

canrocks

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's that time of year again, folks. Do any of you experienced folks have any tips for students that are looking for a relevant planning job for the summer? It seems like fewer places are hiring students than ever.

Do you know of any municipalities that are looking especially hard for students?

I guess I'm especially interested in transportation and land use, but at this point I really just want any planning job. I'm willing to go to more or less any city in the world.

Anyway, thanks UT!

If you're in a graduate program you should be getting bombarded (like I am) with various job postings. I get two or three per week in my inbox.

I'm doing an internship in the winter semester with Oakville's heritage planning department. It's unpaid, but still a good opportunity to get a foot in another door.

Another option is to see if your program has an alumni program. They might be able to hook you up with some contacts.

Maybe look at some rural municipalities/organizations like Mississippi Mills, North Dundas, Rideau Valley Conservation etc...

It's funny that you mention North Dundas because I know a planner there through family and I went to high school there. I'm much more interested in working in a city, if at all possible, even if it's Fort McMurray.

I really wish I was getting bombarded with job listings but I'm a 3rd year undergrad at Ryerson and it's not exactly as easy for us. I have interned before, actually, at a council in London, UK but I'm looking for canadian experience.

It's funny that you mention North Dundas because I know a planner there through family and I went to high school there. I'm much more interested in working in a city, if at all possible, even if it's Fort McMurray.

I really wish I was getting bombarded with job listings but I'm a 3rd year undergrad at Ryerson and it's not exactly as easy for us. I have interned before, actually, at a council in London, UK but I'm looking for canadian experience.

Stouffvile and/or Aurora.

I'm not sure about right now but about 6-8 months ago Stouffville had trouble keeping up with the work load. I'm sure if they have a free useful pair of hands they'd be glad to grab your help.

Back