News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 963     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

UOIT's Oshawa Campus - Ontario's newest university!

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
simply Dan and I had a car this past weekend (yes, a car!) so we decided to check-out Ontario's newest (and badly located) university. Here is UOIT's Oshawa Campus!

South Village Residences...
DSCN3942.jpg

DSCN3943.jpg

Gordon Willey Building
DSCN3944.jpg

The Engineering Building
DSCN3946.jpg

The Library
DSCN3947.jpg

Engineering and Library Bulidings
DSCN3948.jpg

The North Pond
DSCN3949.jpg

Business & IT Building (on the left) and Science Building (on the right)
DSCN3950.jpg

Walkway towards The Science Building
DSCN3951.jpg

Business & IT Building
DSCN3952.jpg

Art at the North Pond
DSCN3953.jpg

Walkway towards The Library
DSCN3954.jpg

The Engineering Building
DSCN3955.jpg

The Science Building
DSCN3956.jpg

Portable structures dot the property
DSCN3957.jpg

The Library Building...
DSCN3958.jpg

DSCN3959.jpg

The Simcoe Buliding (left-over remnants of Durham Collge also dot the property).
DSCN3960.jpg

The following nine shots are from inside The Library...
DSCN3962.jpg

DSCN3963.jpg

DSCN3964.jpg

DSCN3965.jpg

DSCN3966.jpg

DSCN3967.jpg

DSCN3968.jpg

DSCN3969.jpg

DSCN3970.jpg

A DRT bus and the "Big O" in the transit-only Commons.
DSCN3972.jpg

The "Big O" again and The Gordon Willey building's new "South Wing"
DSCN3973.jpg

Astoundingly awful is the Student Centre. Who built this crap and why? Moreover, it's on an island surrounded by roads and parking and removed from the heart of the campus. Moreover, the clock doesn't even work!
DSCN3974.jpg

The Business & IT Building (from the other side)...
DSCN3976.jpg

DSCN3977.jpg

The Science Building
DSCN3978.jpg

Heated GO Bus stops on The Commons
DSCN3979.jpg

Honestly, "most" of the new bulidings are somewhere between fine and really attractive. The place does seem to have some potential. It would have been interesting to see it during the week as the weekend deadness seemed to only add to the remoteness of the place.

Any UOIT students on here? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts!

Some of the buildings are pretty nice, and it's really grown since I was last there. But why, why, why must it be out there?! Why not downtown Oshawa? Lord knows it could use a boost.

I've noticed a lot of the signage and their website refer to this campus as their "Oshawa Campus," but I don't see any link to another campus even though the name suggests more than one?

Could they possibly be setting the stage for a second campus (perhaps downtown Oshawa?)

Thanks for sharing.

The interiors are often interesting but some of that exterior looks quite severe. I'd like to see place in the early summer for comparison purposes.

The Simcoe Buliding (left-over remnants of Durham Collge also dot the property).

I'm fairly certain that Durham College is still on the property, and even shares some of the facilities with UOIT, which is probably why the campus is here, and not downtown, where it should have gone.

Astoundingly awful is the Student Centre. Who built this crap and why? Moreover, it's on an island surrounded by roads and parking and removed from the heart of the campus. Moreover, the clock doesn't even work!
lol that building is truly awful. It was designed by Greer Galloway, an engineering firm that doesn't even have an architect on staff anymore.

Some of the other parts of campus don't look too bad. I like the lawn between the library and the science building. That empty reflecting pool looks like it could be converted into a skating rink in the winter. I really like that Big O too! Too bad it's not on an elevated platform with some steps, to really make it a gathering spot. Actually it kind of reminds me of Fight Club for some reason...

The science building looks decent, as does the library. The rest of the campus looks horrible. I don’t think I could stand to be on such a barren campus surrounded by parking lots, must be awfully depressing for the students in residence.

I'm fairly certain that Durham College is still on the property, and even shares some of the facilities with UOIT, which is probably why the campus is here, and not downtown, where it should have gone.
Oh it is. They way I wrote that may have suggested otherwise, but I just meant that some old "Durham College" buildings still dot the campus (and some others have been renovated, etc).

Thanks for the photos. The first couple of shots of the South Village residence and the Gordon Willey Building frightened me, because it seemed as though the campus landscaping consisted entirely of concrete and interlocking brick, with trees and grass banished elsewhere. But later shots provided that fear to be misplaced.

The interior of the library looks nice- I especially like the 'fireplace' in the column. The facade of the science building looks interesting as well. The campus seems a bit bleak overall however, but I reckon the drab weather doesn't help.

It reminds me a bit of the bleakness of York University 10 or 15 years ago. It will probably look better with a bit of "maturing" and possibly a few more trees and better outdoor gathering places. At least they seem to have made some effort to present a consistent "look" throughout. And good that they are not afraid to use red brick, as opposed to precast and more precast.

A downtown location would certainly have been better, but I think the location was pretty much predetermined by the fact that Durham College was already there.

Thanks for posting these.

I agree, OW, though I think the York parallel can be taken further: while the campus may look better now, people still curse the insanity that put it in that terrible location.

jack diamond talked about this project last year in the winter series lectures at ryerson. the buildings look alright to me, but it has a lot of sustainable design.

thx for the pics.

Back