News   Mar 28, 2024
 349     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 274     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 303     0 

Union Station platform renumbering and signage

Do GO trains open up doors on both sides of the train at Union Station? I think that the answer is no, and that doors only open up on the south side of the train. I have heard that the intent of the platform renumbering was to make it easier correlate between track numbers and platform numbers. Under the new system, the platform you wait on is always twice the track number, so for track 2, you wait on platform 4, track 3 boards on platform 6, and so on.

In order for that system to work, GO intentionally started platform numbering at 3, therefore platform 1 and 2 do not officially exist. Since people would inevitably ask why there's no platform 1 and 2, the fabricated answer is that platforms 1 and 2 are the subway platforms. If GO is intentionally lying about anything, it's that the subway platforms are 1 and 2. The TTC has no part in the numbering system.

Do GO trains open up doors on both sides of the train at Union Station? I think that the answer is no, and that doors only open up on the south side of the train.
Probably a function of what line you are on - and perhaps what platform you arrive on. I normally use the Lakeshore line off-peak, and they always open the doors on both sides. First on the one side to discharge passengers, and then they open up the second side ... though typically during the loading period you see passengers entering from both sides.

In order for that system to work, GO intentionally started platform numbering at 3, therefore platform 1 and 2 do not officially exist. Since people would inevitably ask why there's no platform 1 and 2, the fabricated answer is that platforms 1 and 2 are the subway platforms. If GO is intentionally lying about anything, it's that the subway platforms are 1 and 2. The TTC has no part in the numbering system.

If the TTC's subway platforms are 1 and 2, what number would the platform at the Union streetcar loop be? Shouldn't it be 3? And what happens when the streetcar loop is rebuilt for the LakeShore West LRT and the other LRT's coming in? Wouldn't provision allow for more numbers?

If the TTC's subway platforms are 1 and 2, what number would the platform at the Union streetcar loop be? Shouldn't it be 3? And what happens when the streetcar loop is rebuilt for the LakeShore West LRT and the other LRT's coming in? Wouldn't provision allow for more numbers?

I doubt the subway tracks are the reason why there's going to be no platform 1 or 2. I think it has something to do with the fact that there will be platforms in the 10s and 20s. It might have something to do with the accessibility thing - having all the platforms starting with 1 together and all those starting with 2 together makes it easier for people who can't see well or doesn't know our numbering system. Or it might be easier for them to keep track of platforms that way - so that you don't wind up with a computer organizing the platforms 1, 10, 11...2, 20, 21...3, 4, 5, etc.

I honestly have no clue why they're doing this, but there's a couple of ideas.

Since people would inevitably ask why there's no platform 1 and 2, the fabricated answer is that platforms 1 and 2 are the subway platforms. If GO is intentionally lying about anything, it's that the subway platforms are 1 and 2.
Given that the only evidence for the "subway explanation" is a "best explanation I got" given to a board member, it sounds as if the Go staffer who provided that explanation didn't really know and was speculating.

I have a feeling that platforms 1 & 2 are being reserved for the Pearson Airport rail link (if and when it ever gets built).

My 2 cents...

An interesting Metrolinx piece on platform numbering, which refutes the myths about missing platforms 1 and 2! https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/01/...torontos-union-station-platform-numbers-work/

Their numbering system doesn't seem particularly intuitive to me.

I'd prefer to see it follow the track numbers, with hyphenation for shared island platforms.

So numbers 1-14 currently.

Roughly as it was before.

I don't see what was confusing about A/B; but if they wanted East/West; or Bay/York those would be acceptable substitutes allowing for 2 berths per platform.

Numbers should appear to run consecutively for this purpose, its much more intuitive than a formula most riders wouldn't be aware of; and evidently they are not aware of it.

Their numbering system doesn't seem particularly intuitive to me.

Nor does their explanation/formula make sense:

The platform edge south of the track is twice the track number, and the platform edge north of the track is one less than that.
[...]
The tracks are also numbered from north to south, and most, but not all, are served by platforms on both sides of the track. However, there is no platform between tracks 1 and 2 or between tracks 11 and 12. This is where a numbering gap is created. As a result, there is no Platform 2 (south of track one) or 3 (north of track two)

Except there is a Platform 3. But it's okay, maybe they'll explain it in the next paragraph:

So, the platform immediately south of track two is Platform 4 (2 x 2)...

Makes sense, follows the formula...

...and as a result, the platform north of track 1 is, by default, Platform 3 (2 x 2 – 1).

Uh... why did the formula suddenly change from 2x(track)-1 to 2x(track+1)-1? Surely it would be easier to just explain that platform 3 is the only platform that doesn't follow the formula, rather than this mystery math. My high school math teacher would've circled this in red pen and drawn a big question mark.

I'm not a railwayman, but this is what I would have done.
A is the north side of the track, B is the south side of the track.
If there's no A or B, then it's a single-sided track.

azYNjHf.png

I'm not a railwayman, but this is what I would have done.
A is the north side of the track, B is the south side of the track.
If there's no A or B, then it's a single-sided track.

azYNjHf.png

Fine system; but you need to differentiate the 2 berths on most platforms (east and west sides of the station)

Back