2.4K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 601     0 

Ubisoft coming to Toronto

Eug

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ontario ponies up cash for Toronto video-game studio

The Ontario government is investing $263-million over the next decade to help leading video game developer UbiSoft Entertainment SA set up a Toronto studio.

UbiSoft will invest more than $500-million in the studio, which will begin operating later this year. The company's best-selling games include Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Prince of Persia.

Premier Dalton McGuinty announced on Monday that his government is making the investment as part of its push into digital media. The investment, which will help create 800 jobs over 10 years, comes at a time of fundamental change in the province's economy. More than 200,000 manufacturing jobs have vanished in recent years.

Nice to hear, but I wonder what "investment" means in this context. $263 million is a lot of money for 800 jobs.

At 328k/job, this seems pricey. That said it is probably better than pouring money into GM, if money must be thrown at something.

$263 million is a lot of money for 800 jobs.

Not when they're very highly skilled jobs that produce internationally high-profile entertainment products and the government wants to encourage this particular recession-resistant growth industry to put solid roots down here.

I'd say that's an investment. And a good one.

^
Well, it works out to 328k/job. That's a lot better than the millions of dollars per job we payed for with the GM/Chrysler bailout. Still though, this clearly isn't some kind of magical economic process where we just 'create jobs.' I'm not sure what each employees salary would be, but if we assume 60k/year that is about 5 years of cumulative pay.

I think the average would be higher. Game companies usually pay well, but work their people hard. There is a lot of burnout.

I, too, hope that 'investment means either a loan or equity stake in the firm.

Who wants to start taking bets this will end up in an office park in Markham?

I don't know. In Montreal they are in a hipster-ish Mile End ex-warehouse-type building (at St. Laurent and St. Viateur). I had the impression that it was important to them to be located where they would attract 20something work-late types. Markham is more geared towards an older kids-house-commute demographic. Whether it's Markham or elsewhere in the area, though, great news for Toronto!

Last edited:
I don't know. In Montreal they are in a hipster-ish Mile End ex-warehouse-type building (at St. Laurent and St. Viateur). I had the impression that it was important to them to be located where they would attract 20something work-late types. Markham is geared towards an older kids-house-commute demographic. Whether it's Markham or elsewhere in the area, though, great news for Toronto!

That's what I thought, but I'm sure taxes in Montreal are far lower than they would be in Toronto, correct? If they really want to impact the city, I could see them going to the East Bayfronts.

Perhaps Liberty Village, cheek-by-jowl with Nelvana?
Not quite the same but not too different either.

Perhaps moving into the Corus complex there if Corus plans on leaving that property once their Queen's Quay building is done.

I think the idea is that if you attract one, you might attract others. So the large investment today could be spread out if more high-tech (gaming or otherwise) businesses follow. And yes I realize we have already established a high-tech sector...

^
We don't have much presence in the game industry, and we definitely lag Vancouver and Montreal, and possibly Calgary.

Apparently this shop may be doing movie-related animation work as well.

I remember reading that sales in video games and game consoles are more than double the movie box office sales. The future location was reported to be downtown, but it did not come directly from the company...

Province kicks in $264M toward billion dollar Ubisoft games studio
Financial Post technology reporter Matt Hartley

Ontario's provincial government plans to invest more than a quarter of a billion dollars in a new video game studio run by international publisher Ubisoft SA in Toronto's downtown core.

Premier Dalton McGuinty made the announcement at an afternoon press conference celebrating the launch of the new studio, dubbed Ubisoft Toronto.

The province will invest $263-million in the new studio over the next 10 years, while Paris-based Ubisoft will contribute more than $500-million. The new studio is expected to create upwards of 800 new jobs.

"Our world is one where you can borrow capital, you can copy technology and you can buy natural resources," Mr. McGuinty said in a statement. "But to build a high wage and a high standard of living you need talent. By investing in Ubisoft, we're building Ontario's economy now and for the future."

The Toronto location will be the fourth Ubisoft studio in Canada, joining facilities in Montreal, Quebec City and Vancouver. Ubisoft said the new studio will begin operations later this year.

"Today's announcement marks a strategic move for Ubisoft as we continue to expand our internal development force," Yves Guillemot, president and chief executive at Ubisoft said in a statement. "We are in an excellent position to grow and after extensive analysis we are thrilled to have reached an agreement with the government of Ontario to found our new studio in Toronto. The city is one of North America's economic and cultural epicentres and our expectations are high."

Ubisoft is one of the largest publishers of video games in the world. Its list of titles includes best sellers Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia

Leery

I am very leery of this corporate-welfare job creation/retention business.

While Ubisoft sounds like a good employer, and perhaps, the government and through them the taxpayers will be net beneficiaries of this scheme several years from now.....

But I have a huge problem with taxpayer dollars being used this way.

Some will know from other posts of mine, that I am not adverse to a good suite of public services, including those that help people get jobs and that ameliorate the worst effects of poverty ( ie. Universal Health Care, or free and high quality education) .....

But its one thing to invest in the people who are your citizens, most particularly those who can't afford to invest in themselves......and another to give money to a for-profit business in no real need of the funds, and in the process to muck-with-the-market by picking a winner in a given sector.

At the most superficial levels I see real problems here:

1) Is this the group in society that would most benefit from targeted new government funding? Will this investment produce an equal or greater return than would helping the needier group?

Think of it this way; the help granted to car companies in Canada, approx. 6 Billion as I recall, would be enough if applied to our Universities as an endowment, to replace 1/2 of all tuitions collected! (based on a modest Return on Investment). If because of this reduction, we were able to scale back student aid, and we reapplied that to the post-secondary sector, we could arguably cut 'average tuitions' in Ontario to under $3,000 per annum.

Sounds like a much better investment to me! This would benefit countless hundreds of thousands, and particularly the more needy would see the greater benefit.

2) If one gets into this mucking around one has to ask very straight-forwardly what the price per job is? This is important, because imagine that you chose to put that same amount of money towards someone lower-skill and unemployed (i don't mean as a freebie) but in a modest, but good earning job (let's say $50,000 per year). If you managed to take people off of E.I or Social Assistance or out of Government Housing by giving them said job you would save the gov't money on the expenditure side immediately). Further the best bang-for-the-buck economically occurs the moment you shift people beyond subsistence as they spend virtually every new dollar they earn.

I'm not suggesting a gov't make work project by any means, rather, I am pointing out that you might if properly targeted get double-benefits (removing someone from the expense ledger, not just giving them another high-paying job) and you might also be able to affect more people positively.

That said, I think such a scheme would be difficult, and I'd much rather world on basic opportunities/training/education than get into the employment/make work business.

3) My other concern here is governments getting into the tit-for-tat business.

If we spend big tax dollars to land Ubisoft; then surely Quebec will do the same to get a mining company, North Carolina the same to get a car plant and Mexico the same to get a Walmart warehouse.

Where does it end? Governments agreeing to pay the business community to supply jobs causes a great deal of unease.

4) All other things being equal....who says the jobs would go away or not come here in the first place, even without taxpayer funds?

In the case of the car companies, as an example, were all GM and Chrysler plants shuttered tomorrow, there would be a shortage of cars in North America, even in the current recession. Needless to say, other vehicle makers would have purchased and operated at least some of the factories that would have been affected by a true bankruptcy proceeding.

Would the job losses have been steeper? Quite possibly, but relative to the costs involved, perhaps that would have been the better outcome.

Perhaps Liberty Village, cheek-by-jowl with Nelvana?
Not quite the same but not too different either.

Perhaps moving into the Corus complex there if Corus plans on leaving that property once their Queen's Quay building is done.

Sony/BMG former location on Liberty Street would be nice.:)

Back