News   Apr 24, 2024
 725     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 953     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 565     0 

U of Waterloo: Environment 3 (4s, Cooper)

Rowe

Member Bio
Reaction score
Waterloo is trying to become more modern and current. They just updated their logo and a lot of the new buildings have something "unique" about them. Environment 3 design isn't that amazing or outstanding, but it will be LEED Platinum. They also just came out with a new master campus plan which is pretty well done.

The university wants to be recognized for more than just engineering and math, which is great since I'm in neither!

EV3 Rendings: http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/faculty/ev3/rendering/index.html

I know this is the Nano forum but this will just give an idea to people who aren't familiar with UW.

Last edited:
Waterloo is trying to become more modern and current. They just updated their logo and a lot of the new buildings have something "unique" about them. Environment 3 design isn't that amazing or outstanding, but it will be LEED Platinum. They also just came out with a new master campus plan which is pretty well done.

The university wants to be recognized for more than just engineering and math, which is great since I'm in neither!

EV3 Rendings: http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/faculty/ev3/rendering/index.html

I know this is the Nano forum but this will just give an idea to people who aren't familiar with UW.

These new Waterloo buildings are still very utilitarian, just like most other engineering schools. Look at MIT, the Cornell Engineering quad, the Toronto Engineering buildings. Tis a shame, we engineers want pretty buildings too

So... now we have an Env3 thread.

UWaterlooEnv3.jpg

$14 million for new EV3 building, renovations to EV1 and EV2

The Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario are providing $14 million for a new Faculty of Environment building and for a 'green' retrofit of the faculty's existing buildings.

The $14 million will fund two interrelated building projects:

1. a 40,000-square-foot expansion to house laboratory, teaching, computer workspace, and study space and offices as well as renovations to the faculty's 40-year-old building.
2. a 'green' retrofit of existing space to upgrade and expand climate change and ecology labs, teaching facilities, and project development space.

Dean Deep Saini says “it is our intention that as the Faculty of Environment, we set a critical example for our students, alumni, and external and internal partners by building the first green building on campus. I am pleased that Thomas Mueller, CEO of the Canada Green Building Council (and a UW Planning grad), has graciously accepted the invitation to chair the Faculty’s Green Building Campaign and will provide invaluable guidance.”

Growth has led to insufficient space
The Faculty of Environment has experienced very high rates of growth in student enrollment, the number of professors and researchers, and research productivity. Insufficient facilities have constrained our ability to meet Canada’s needs for basic and applied environmental research, education and training. These investments allow us to contribute effectively and efficiently to national environmental solutions.

"Our federal and provincial leaders are to be commended for their joint support of these two important projects," said president David Johnston. "[The] environmental research cluster will help produce the intellectual capital and research needed to ensure that growth in Ontario is driven in an intelligent and sustainable fashion."

Estimated budget: $14 million. Federal contribution: $6.75 million; provincial contribution: $7.25 million.

The building site (which adjoins the existing Environment 2 building) has been approved in the university’s campus master plan. Preliminary floor plans, concept designs and building specifications are available, and the university is ready to advertise for builders and contractors. Construction is to begin this year and be substantially completed in March 2011.

March 2011 is key because if they do not finish it by then, the gov't will not pay for the building. And we can't expect RIM to pay for a non-engineering/math building.

One rendering... which isn't found among the many listed in the first post:

Env3Render.jpg

There's also this video of the project:

[video=youtube;AnGFBQ0ueqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnGFBQ0ueqQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

So it's being built over top of the the Environment 2 building?

(Memories... when I was at Waterloo, that was the architecture building. It was relatively new; it had been finished in 1980 or 1981, I believe. After reading the Quantum-Nano thread, I spent a lot of time looking at UW website. A lot of construction...)

Yes, it is being built on top of EV2; its the Planning and ERS building currently. Architecture left the faculty awhile ago when they were going to shut down the faculty of environment. UW will be u/c for a very long time, which is a positive and and negative. You should see the campus now, with all these new buildings being worked on there are also renovation at the Modern Languages building, Dana Porter Library and the PAC. They are also planning a new South Campus Hall, Health Services, and a better planned Student Service Complex (students rejected one already because there was little detail).

Are all buildings at Waterloo named so pragmatically? Environment 3? Engineering 5? I can't decide if that's confusing or easy-to-remember...

All of the named buildings are named after founders. EV3 can be named for like 10M. A lot of our new lecture halls on campus are named.

The one problem I have with the way they're building all these new buildings is that the campus is getting as jumbled and congested as Laurier. It was far from ideal before, but at least those broad lawns and treed spaces were fairly pleasant. Now they seem to be building something on every available plot of land. It's not for lack of space: the North Campus was bought so that there's more than enough room for as many buildings as they could possibly ever need. A lot of it is being turned into an office park, though.

Back