News   Apr 25, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

U of T's Observatory Lands (Richmond Hill)

They definitely could go for a 21st century Central Park feel with that area. It'd keep the greenspace, let developers do some building, and would increase the town's population considerably while expanding the high-density zone. The remaining land should remain pretty much the same, maybe with some more trees planted or turn some of the current open space into parks (soccer fields and the like.) I was also thinking it might be a good opportunity to build a Planetarium, to keep with the Astronomy theme from the observatory.

Or they could just leave it as a Greenspace. If the town is looking to intensify, they should knock down all the cookie cutter homes and rebuild there.

Or they could just leave it as a Greenspace. If the town is looking to intensify, they should knock down all the cookie cutter homes and rebuild there.

*sigh* It just doesn't work that way.

This space I'd reall love to see saved. But there was no one to save it. So at this point it's about doing as little damage as possible. So my solution is a few 40-storey condos on the outskirts of the site, and leave the middle undeveloped. You'd get just as many units as if you developed the whole thing as single-family dwellings (i.e. a Mississauga subdivision ;)

That said, I hope the OMB forces them to keep a lot of it green, whereas at Hurontario & Eglinton, I hope the OMB sides with the developer. It really is case-by-case we have to judge these things.

The site is now a designated heritage site and the Ministry of Culture has the power to "double designate" it.
With both the CRB and Ontario Heritage Trust explicitly asking the Minister (was Aileen Carroll, now Michael Chan) to do so, it's rather riddiculous it hasn't happened.
A double designation would really tie the developer's hands, even at the OMB.
Don't forget, it fronts on to Bayview, not Yonge so 40-storey condos are unlikely, even in Metrus' dreams.
Should be a heck of an OMB fight and I presume when Metrus paid $70 mil to buy it they factored in the extra costs of a CRB and OMB hearing. They effectively 'lost' the first one, but the latter is the real test.

Here’s how the development site looks like today (taken on Saturday), the name of the development is Observatory Hill, if I can recall.

I’ve always had a personal connection to this particular area, as I spent my early childhood growing up in house on Fern Avenue, overlooking the forest where deers and coyotes were often seen. Definitely a bit sad seeing how much has been levelled for the development, but glad to see some still preserved around the Dunlap Observatory.
One cool thing that has happened, is that you can now clearly see the CN Tower from this stretch of Bayview Avenue without any effort at all. You can barely make it out in my photo, but it’s very neat!

38397928471_fa2ddc853a_b.jpg

38397904211_ea94c030aa_b.jpg

Recent steering committee in April on the development of the observatory park:

I wonder how much worse light pollution will get with with the encroachment of houses, especially to the north. I really wish they'd managed to square off the park, rather than having that intrusion that gets uncomfortably close to the telescope.

An interesting element not seen before is the inclusion of a new planetarium on the site:

Observatory%2BHill.png

Apparently the latest site plan:
Site%20Plan%20Blog%20(1).jpg

which lot will be your shining star

They certainly look Wolf-Rayet sized.

I wonder how much worse light pollution will get with with the encroachment of houses, especially to the north. I really wish they'd managed to square off the park, rather than having that intrusion that gets uncomfortably close to the telescope.

I don't think it really mattered since there is no active optical astronomy at the site anyways, and it's already way too close to urban areas.

AoD

Back