Toronto U of T: University College Revitalization | ?m | 3s | U of T | Kohn Shnier

...I mean that elevator tower from death metalhead hell seems to be an obvious example of this. /sigh

Commentary and pics from Canadian Architect:

Commentary and pics from Canadian Architect:

I think the article is far too kind.

Yea that addition is dogshit, modernization for the sake of it. Nothing is safe in this city. Hey, let's obscure some of the city's best millwork with some crappy railings that look like prison bars, and hang track lighting that looks like the stuff we had in my parents' '90s basement. Also what is the point of that barnacle on the outside. I hate everything about this.🤮

Yea that addition is dogshit, modernization for the sake of it. Nothing is safe in this city. Hey, let's obscure some of the city's best millwork with some crappy railings that look like prison bars, and hang track lighting that looks like the stuff we had in my parents' '90s basement. Also what is the point of that barnacle on the outside. I hate everything about this.🤮

I strongly dislike that tower - but it's for the elevator. So not useless, just heavy-handed.

AoD

I strongly dislike that tower - but it's for the elevator. So not useless, just heavy-handed.

AoD

A couple of notes on this.

1) This elevator was NOT in the original scope of work.

The decision was made to add it after finding that the original location for a lift required removing an existing set of stairs during construction and that would require building closure in that area.

2) I'll have to walk the building again, but for the life of me, I don't want they couldn't have just build elevators, plural, into the non-heritage Laidlaw wing and left the heritage alone.
I know you can access the heritage UC on both the main and second floors from Laidlaw; and you can access East Hall from the second floor as well.

I get that it would be bit of distance to the elevator for people whose business was at the far south-west of the building..........but....but...

For reference, from a pre-construction report:

1668209461042.png

1668209497613.png

Looks discombobulated to me. But what do I know...

...either way, we didn't get certainly didn't get CaixaForum with this project. That would of been too bold for good or bad.

Back