Toronto U of T: University College Revitalization | ?m | 3s | U of T | Kohn Shnier

Personally I'm not really a fan, however as AoD mentioned, the original building is more of a run-of-the-mill fabric building as far as Madrid goes. In the case of University College, it's one of our "premiere" or whatever you want to call it heritage buildings, and this addition looks like a cheap afterthought; it covers up many of the original architectural features instead of complementing or playing off of them.

On this one, Alex and I profoundly disagree.

I consider the entire project a disgrace.

I think it's done profound damage to the appearance and history of the college and as alumni I have expressed my displeasure and noted that financial contributions to same will not be contemplated for the foreseeable future.

I would consider contributing to remove most of the alterations and restore a proper degree of respect for the heritage here.

Last edited:
With all respect to @northern Light’s strongly held views, this approach to historic buildings is in keeping with the best practices in heritage architecture since the 1960s.
The Venice charter should rightfully be resigned to the dustheap of outdated architectural theory at this point in time.

Is that exterior structure / sculpture (not sure what to call it) completed ? I've seen some pictures but I'm not sure if they're renders or not :)

With all respect to @northern Light’s strongly held views, this approach to historic buildings is in keeping with the best practices in heritage architecture since the 1960s.

I disagree with said principles.

The object of restoration is to preserve what makes a place special.

Adaptive re-use, sure. Essential compliance with building codes for safety and/or accessibility wherever feasible, by all means.

I find this re-do to be disrespectful to every iteration of that space that came before it.

It is less now that what what it was immediately before the renovations and profoundly less than it could or should have been.

By the way, I say this as a person who was among the first to raise the idea of relocating the Library from Laidlaw to a restored East/West Hall. That was my idea, I don't like what they did with it, at all.

It became a project for which fundraising began, less than 5 years after I first raised the idea.

And the 1890s renovation of the college interiors was quite different from the original.

I'm not asking for a perfect replica of the 1890s version.

I'm asking for something that isn't brash, modernist, and deeply disrespectful to history and the space.

The style and colour (black) of the shelving is a sore thumb eyesore that clashes deeply with its surroundings.

The lighting while less obtrusive, for the most part is not at all appropriate to any historical period of the space's existence and is underwhelming at best.

We can vary the exact height and dimensions of the bookcases, and tables; we can add usb chargers and make the space more accessible, we can add modern fire suppression so the thing doesn't burn down again, and still do the heritage here justice.

I'm not entirely opposed to modernism as a style, though it's often too cold and sterile.........but it can be done well. But go do it in a new build, not a heritage space.

Last edited:
I find this re-do to be disrespectful to every iteration of that space that came before it.

It is less now that what what it was immediately before the renovations and profoundly less than it could or should have been.

I'm not asking for a perfect replica of the 1890s version.

I'm asking for something that isn't brash, modernist, and deeply disrespectful to history and the space.

The style and colour (black) of the shelving is a sore thumb eyesore that clashes deeply with its surroundings.

The lighting while less obtrusive, for the most part is not at all appropriate to any historical period of the space's existence and is underwhelming at best.

We can vary the exact height and dimensions of the bookcases, and tables; we can can usb chargers and make the space more accessible, we can add modern fire suppression so the thing doesn't burn down again, and still do the heritage here justice.

I'm not entirely opposed to modernism as a style, though it's often too cold and sterile.........but it can be done well. But go do it in a new build, not a heritage space.

Agree 100% on all counts. One can modernize without stripping an interior of its historical integrity but that's not what's happened here.

Far too often, those entrusted with these projects have little appreciation for the architecture/historical period no matter how vehemently they say that they do. If they did, they never would have allowed this to happen. The only saving grace is that this and other historic buildings that suffered a similar fate can one day see some of the damage done reversed while incorporating modern + historically appropriate solutions.

Last edited:

Back